Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone have a good solution for storing C-clamps and bar clamps?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 12, 2022.

1. rtp

rtp

no picture, but i take a 11/2 hole saw cut one side of 2in x 2in aluminum angle full of holes spaced 1/2in apart ,screw to wall on studs and between every 6in .c clamps drop in and no adjusting or worry they will fall out.

alanp561 likes this.
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

Sooo, everyone doesn't do it like this ? 539F050C-8418-49CA-A7E3-42929C48D5D0.jpeg

3. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

B4579144-FF60-4DAD-A1FC-31EAB9507945.jpeg
    A piece of flat stock at the top to clamp vise grips and a 3/4” pipe across the middle for clamps. I have about 2x more to figure out, so I’m watching this one!

mgtstumpy, brEad, fauj and 10 others like this.
  4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Empty Auto Body Roll Dispenser.......

stand.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    alanp561 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  5. rusty valley

rusty valley

WOW... silver jimmy has his shit together !

fauj, SEAAIRE354 and SilverJimmy like this.
  6. I do it like that, except mine aren't as tidy. The rest I clamp to my press , so they can get in the way when I need to use it.

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

That sounds like a good plan. I too like to use the press for a place to pile shit so you can move it to do some pressing matters

nosford likes this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

I have this pegboard tacked up on the wall inside of my garage...
    I used to hang the 11" C clamp vice grips on a pair of 6" long hooks in the pegboard, until one day one of the 6" hooks fell on the ground after it ripped a chunk out of the pegboard.

I had a piece of 1/2" solid square bar (about 18" long) laying right by where the clamps fell on the floor. I made a couple brackets to weld to that bar that hold the bar about 4" away from the pegboard. Then I cut another hole through the pegboard and screwed both brackets to the wall stud behind the pegboard.

In this pic, the bar is nearly empty, (I think I was probably working on my truck fenders) normally there are (4) different sized C clamps on the left side, then (2) 18" vice grip C clamps, then (8) 11" vice grip C clamps, then (4) 4" C clamp vice grips, and (1) 3" wide "welder" vice grips. On the right side I hang a small 12" crow bar, and there is a stud welded to the end of the bar to hook the drilled hole in the handle of a wire brush through. This bar has been hanging there probably the last 10 or 12 years.

I have no ides why the photo shows up twice. Gene

Attached Files:

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just have a piece of 90-degree stock bolted to the overhead shelf. I clamp the c-clamps to that.

rusty valley likes this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I have a bar running under my large Chicago brake, that I hang all my C clamps and most vice grip clamps on. Various smaller clamps such as squeeze, spring loaded and an assortment of De Sta Co aircraft assembly clamps are clamped on the angle iron brake legs.

rusty valley likes this.
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

What is an " aircraft assembly clamp" ? sounds like something I am missing

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some great ideas here but I have to say that Silver Jimmy wins the round.

Right now my mess makes Rusty Valley's clamp storage look well organized.

SilverJimmy and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  13. Some of mine I hang under my work bench from a threaded rod bolted to a bench leg. Also the hacksaws are stored the same way. Always easy to find... if I put them back.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. indyjps

indyjps

THIS
    Great storage out of the way of the bench top and close to the work.

I welded a pipe on one of the legs of my welding table pointing into the bench across the front, one end is open so I can slide them on and off, or just loop them on. Don't have pics of that bench.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Roothawg likes this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Holy crap.....I don't have that many.

16. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I just have 4 chains from flatbed trucking. To avoid the tangles, I got those heavy vinyl cloth tote bags. One chain per bag, They rest in the bottom drawer of an old file cabinet. When needed, it is easy-simple to grab the tote handles, and carry to the work site.

17. fuzzface

fuzzface

Nothing special like some here. The three vice grips I use in mechanical work are with my other mechanical tools on my rolling cart. I have 1 c clamp I use for returning the plunger when brake bleeding, that clamps to the other bench side.

Then all my other grips and c clamps that I use for body work are in old fridge vegetable /fruit drawers under the welding table. Remember those? I have so many from being a scrapper. drill bits in one, tire/air gauge stuff in another, files in another, etc, etc.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I just made a shelf above the work bench that I store small tools on, and it's wide enough to clamp all my various clamps to the edge. So it does double duty to conserve on space.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good stuff fellas.

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

18D3E264-8959-4B10-9C87-C5C1470146CF.jpeg

Black pipe is cheap. This is screwed to a stud. I have more C clamps that live in the basement.

alanp561 likes this.
  21. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Jimmy;
    Looks like you've got more room under that bench for another couple of rows of clamp. Those are organized very well, & out of the way. I like that instead of on the side of a table. Even trying to be neat about it, my drawer full of clamps looks a lot like RustyValley's collection... :D .
    Marcus...

22. I have a bar at work under the work bench and right now at home they're all on a 2x4 on the side of the body dolly. C Clamps on one side bar clamps on the other.

clamp pile-1.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  23. Gofannon

Gofannon

Mine are all holding my project together.

clem, alanp561, SEAAIRE354 and 3 others like this.
  24. Military steel ammo boxes are great for chains. Stackable, gasketed. Easy to grab one and go, leave it in the weather or truck bed and you chains don't rust.

25. Saturn V

Saturn V
    from Killen AL

This is our simple storage system. IMG_20220513_193424937.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm too OCD for that one. They have to be organized by size, small to large and by type. I know, I know......

27. Saturn V

Saturn V
    from Killen AL

My wife would be the same way,,as long as they're not under a bench or I have to pick them up out of the floor,,, I'm good!! I'll admit tho,,our shop is very dis-organized, but we know where everything is,,,,,well,,,is supposed to be

X-cpe and Roothawg like this.
  28. big bird

big bird

Have about 40 bar clamps, 10-15 pipe clamps, dozens of C-Clamps, and a bunch of spring clamps.
    Most of them are hanging off rafters in my garage.

29. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Ya don't wanna hang C Clamps or Bar Clamps above head level. One slipping off on to yer head would ruin yer day.

30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are specialty jig and fixture clamps. There are lots of styles dependent on what assembly you're building.[​IMG]

rusty valley likes this.