Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Loudest Junkyard Horns I can find: Which?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, May 14, 2022.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife’s OT little car had a little shitty beep beep stocker and I bought a set of red horns over 110 decibels off Amazon. Definitely a not expected sound …Best thing I ever did since I found Torque Thrusts for it.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Way too many "fun" ideas here... :D .
    Marcus...

seb fontana likes this.
  3. Wrench97

Wrench97

12 Jeep Patriot, had one at the shop the other day with a stuck alarm..................the cemetery called said we were waking up the dead.

Bob Lowry, Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Not sure what these dual tone horns came out of originally but they were in a box with miscellaneous early '60s junk, mostly Studebaker..

41 GMC K-18, seb fontana and Deuces like this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

The one I had in a '74 Sedan De Ville was pretty loud...

6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a pair of 6 volt tuned horns, from a vintage 37 IHC school bus. When hooked to a 12 volt battery, its amazing just how loud they are. Just have to be careful not to burn them out from the voltage difference, but the old stuff was built like a tank !

They are plenty loud with just the 6 volts, but to wake up the dead, put the 12 volt to them and use ear protection !

IMG_3718 (2).JPG IMG_3719 (2).JPG

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'39 Chevrolet "Country" trumpet horns or if you can get an electric horn off of an old cross country bus.
    The one on my 4104 makes most folks leave the ground...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Personal experience; 51 Ford pass car on 12v.. Very loud. So loud I replaced with later model 12v horns; wish I still had them, lost them in the great move.:(

9. When I converted my car to 12 from 6 volt I kept the 6 volt horn (38 Olds) .... man could that sucker sing :D

Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. mad mikey likes this.
  11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Personally I think exceptionally loud horns are not a good idea. You simply become a bigger a**hole than the person you are honking at. Its ok to broadcast a reasonable sound to get someones attention, maybe even a couple of toots on occasion.........but be careful or you become just another a**hole on the road thinking only of themselves..........:cool:

Don't mean to offend anyone with that comment, but figured I ought to toot my horn as well.:p

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guys saying to run '40s trumpet horns from the big cars and trucks know what they're talkin about. They're super loud on 12 volts. And a set of duels sounds beautiful.

-Brent- and BamaMav like this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless maybe there's a junkyard for trains near you...

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Someone mentioned Buick , wife's old 90 park avenue had a very loud horn !

15. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I put a siren on my 60 Ranchero. Way more effective than a horn.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

horns.jpg
    I agree! Using the stock 47 6 volt trumpets on 12 volts in my car.... they are LOUD! Mine are mounted in the stock location on the bottom side of the hood, straddling the air cleaner. Thay have a unique sound, different than anything made today. They turn up on ebay from time to time. I don't just stay on them, just a short burst at a time, don't want to burn them out.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  17. twenty8

twenty8

Yep. The horn is only for giving a warning. The finger is for conveying emotion..........:rolleyes:

18. Cadillac 4 note

ratrodrodder, i.rant and mrspeedyt like this.
  19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Well, the thread on getting rearended & using led tailights, mentioned an ultra loud horn pointed to the rear. Let's see here; if a 6v horn on 12v is very loud, a 6v horn on 24v should be seriously loud, etc. & two of them might be a good start. :D . Audio "flamethrowers" ? I'm thinking a horn so loud they pee themselves & automatically simultaneously dynamite the brakes, w/o even thinking. :D . Maybe then they won't slide into you? :D .
    Marcus...

seb fontana and '28phonebooth like this.
  20. There are some horns recently been advertised as putting out 300dB. These are rated in CBdB (Chinese Bullshit Decibels), they are actually around 95 "real" dB. So just like any standard Toyota horn. 180dB will actually kill you.

swade41 likes this.
  21. Perfect demonstration of the "doppler effect"!
    :eek:

mrspeedyt likes this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that would work.
    I believe you've inadvertently upped the ante.
    Not sure you can buy it used for cheap though.

jim snow likes this.
  23. Yup, I kept the original horns on my '50 Ford. Now running on 12 volts it's really very loud. A short tap will get a person's attention, a longer "blast" might just make me an asshole. I'll take that risk if the situation arises. :cool:

I also have a set of matched trumpet (6V) horns I pulled out of the junk yard back in the 60s on my '41 Ford truck. Very loud as well.

Lone Star Mopar and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If not mentioned before , a horn is useless on the idiot behind you !

25. 6sally6

6sally6

Most any "Old" horn get louder with a good cleaning.
    I ran a relay to my horn to get the FULL 12 volts to it. REALLY made a difference in sound...
    Still look'in for a set of 6 volt horns so I can graduate to the "ass-hole" status!:)
    6sally6

seb fontana likes this.
  26. Most impressive horns I've ever heard were on a '53 Chrysler New Yorker. Sounded like a cruise ship docking... and that was still on 6V!

'51 Norm likes this.
  27. SS327

SS327

Get a set of Nathan train air horns. I think they are 8 note. If that does not liquify the stuff in some idiots intestines then nothing will.

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Biting. My. Tongue .......Lol

29. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 2o2f;
    Not so sure on that. I'm of the opinion that a set of *very* loud horns, pointed backwards from under the bumper w/o restrictions for directional sound travel, + excessively bright red lights(thinking a pair of the 1 million candlewatt types) that also strobe, combined will most likely cause(read: sincerely startle) most brain-dead from their stupors, even the damned cellphone zombies. Loud sirens/flashing red lights coming out of nowhere will cause 99.9% to dynamite the brakes in a "trained" instant-reaction-habit just in case... :D . *Then* look around to just wth happened? :D .
    The problem for us is how to hide/make them look good, & also the methodology to implement the effect(s), only when desired. Nothing's perfect, or guaranteed, but something is better than nothing, & excess is being called for of late, due to attitudes, lack of training, & respect, etc.
    I've learned, when I ride, & I'm the last guy at a stop light/sign/traffic, I manually activate the bikes' stoplight for few seconds if someone is approaching from behind, since I don't have a strobe yet. When I come to a T or cross-street & someone is there, or if someone has their t/s on to turn in front of me(either way), I use the hi-lo headlite sw for a few secs, to help them notice me. It seems to help - so far... I also ride like everyone - & I mean everyone - is out to kill me. Bikes lose in a match w/a cage. TBuckets aren't all that much better...
    Now, about the Lh turn across your lane 3 secs in front of you w/o warning types... Another story & thread.
    Marcus...

seb fontana likes this.
  30. Last edited: May 15, 2022