Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. noboD

noboD

That's a LOT of holes in the front axle.

65pacecar likes this.
  2. Two for Thursday...whoops-edition!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

4. Deuces

Deuces

I'd hate to see that thing pull a wheelie....:eek::confused::D:rolleyes:
    "Rug burns".....:D

chryslerfan55 and 65pacecar like this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Beautiful sheet metal work !

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

This is one of the great threads here.

deadbeat, 65pacecar and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

8. Johnny99

Johnny99

9. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1652387487830-png.png
    Scenes like this were not that unusual when the dragster design changed over from front engines to the rear engine design. Either the push bar on the push truck (or vehicle) did not stick out far enough forward of the front bumper or the push bar on the dragster was not long enough in the back of the dragster. As long as the dragster was being pushed in a straight line, all was okay, but as soon as the dragster started to make a turn, the front bumper on the push vehicle came into contact with one of the drag slicks on the dragster, and rode up and over the rear of the dragster, resulting in photos like this one.

10. 6sally6

6sally6

11. 6sally6

6sally6

12. 6sally6

6sally6

I still love bell bottoms and long black hair!
    Heart be still........
    Looks like the fella in the foreground is fix'in to flash the big L sign on his forehead!!
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  13. 296ardun

296ardun

The car had a windscreen. Romeo Palamedes at Bakersfield, either Archie Liederbrand or Pete Ogden driving --- there is a debate on who it is...Rudy Perez was standing next to Al Caldwell, who took the photo, and told me that ti was Archie driving.

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Soo...what you are saying...is that...it's ok to break any rule the "driver" see's fit to break !?
    Right ?
    Yeah, I don't think so !

Didn't a top Pro Stock driver get hit with a fine and loss of points (last year) for...raising his visor too early...EVEN though the car HAS...a full windshield & side windows ?

Mike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got my ass chewed out for taking my helmet off before I got onto the return road. I now leave my helmet on tell I get my time slip.

16. Fordors

Fordors

I’m not saying the Smoker’s ran Bakersfield footloose and fancy free but wasn’t the track an independent at that time? With no affiliation to an association their rules and officials may not have been as rigid.

chryslerfan55, Sky Six and 296ardun like this.
  17. 296ardun

296ardun

WTF are you ranting about?? The car has a windscreen, as I noted, so the goggles are on the driver's helmet. If the windscreen blows off, he pulls them down. This was 1959, no rules broken.
    No need to rant and rave, just enjoy the photos!

18. 296ardun

296ardun

You are right, the Smoker's ran the track, no rules broken. The starter would not have let him run if he was breaking the rules, as it was pretty obvious that his goggles were up on his helmet.

Sky Six and Fordors like this.
  19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The Smokers ran a 64-Car Top Fuel program -- anyone else ever do that?

(Damn -- you just had to be there.)

bschwoeble, Sky Six and 296ardun like this.
  20. 296ardun

296ardun

parr.jpg
    Cody Parr, from Parr Automotive in Oklahoma City, strong runner. Sanctioning bodies later banned wire front wheels on altereds.

alsenez vs slipper.jpg
    Bob Alsenez in Kenny Lindley's Potvin-blown Chrysler fueler vs the Cortopassi and Butler Glass Slipper, injected Chevy. Alsenez won this meet at the '56 NHRA nationals, only to lose to Melvin Heath's fueler for the A/D final.

rizzio and gray klass.jpg
    Rizzio and Gray fuel coupe at Pomona. It ran a Chrysler. The coupe was in Ben Rizzio's garage when he died a few years ago, wonder where it is now? Photo found on George Klass's site.

ambassadorsivo62Sbarbaro.jpg
    Six-motor drag racing...Ambassador's Car Club from Orinda, CA, Bob Sbarbaro driving, vs Tommy Ivo's 4-Buick car.

scoville brothers unblown.jpg
    The Scoville brothers from Sherman Oaks, CA, ran this Chrysler powered roadster. The engine later got a blower, and once a ride in Tommy Ivo's gas dragster, which set the A/GD record at Riverside with a 159mph run

Jerry-Baltes-cgas.jpg
    Jerry Baltes gasser at Paradise Mesa. He went on to a career in top fuel.

norek 1958_NHRA_Nationals.1_-_Okla_City.jpg
    Jerry Norek from Long Beach, CA, at the NHRA Nationals. Those unusual induction tubes indicate that Jerry is running Joe Mailliard's blown Chrysler with two updraft carbs from an Army tank engine. Joe Mailliard and Joe Reath were partners in a speed shop until a parting of the ways led to Joe Mailliard opening his own shop. Photo by Connell Miller, who has taken some great drag racing photos over the years.

mooneyham early.jpg
    Before the top chop and the blown Chrysler, Gene Mooneyham ran this '34 coupe with a flathead. It once had a sedan body, but after Gene rolled it at Santa Ana, he replaced the body with a coupe.

ansenpink.jpg
    Ansen and Pink, with Tom Dyer driving. This was the former Fuller, Zeuschel, and Prudhomme car, that Lou Senter and Ed Pink took over after it passed through several owners.

langley bakersfield.jpg
    Bobby Langley gets pushed off at the Smoker's Bakersfield meet. Notice the Sidewinder in the background. Bobby, from Everman, Texas, was one of the most legendary drag racers to come out of Texas, one of many.

SteinEsh.jpg
    Steinegger and Eshenbaugh, Phoenix-based top fuel car.

scotties alton.jpg
    The former Scotty's Muffler roadster at Alton, IL...I think that this was when Bob Baugh owned it. The car and the Ardun both survive, but with different owners.

ward brown fred t el centro.jpg
    Fred T. Brown, of El Centro, CA, at the '58 NHRA Nationals, Glenn Ward photo.

thurman brothers 3.jpg
    Butch Thurman wrestles the Thurman brothers fuel roadster --- heavy and obsolete in competition with the tube frame fiberglass bodied competitors, but really fun to watch.

EVL401, rod1, stillrunners and 21 others like this.
  21. 296ardun

296ardun

Not that I remember...two elimination ladders of 32 cars each...and over 100 top fuel dragsters showed up. You could watch fuel dragsters run all day long, interrupted only by a clean-up. And then there were gas dragsters, fuel altereds, modified roadsters, etc. A lot of teams had only one engine, so top eliminator cars in each ladder had to run 5 rounds, and a lot dropped out with broken parts. It was the drag racing show of a lifetime. I was kind of glad we blew up early, as we had no chance to qualify, so we put the car on the trailer and just watched all day. At night we went to Ernie Hashim's to watch wounded engines get first aid.

22. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I remember in the late 50's riding in the bed of a push truck; that racing was by and for the racers,
    not a TV $$$ audience. To me there was a lot of comradery where folks were commonly helping eachother (borrowing tires, fuel etc.) and taking time to BS and lie. Most dragracers I was lucky to observe were also lakes racers and maybe this added to the associations. Anyway Colton, Riverside, Santa Ana (fuel strips) were good but the Smokers races were the best.

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This from the 1960 rule book
    EE3C1420-FCFF-4A84-8FD1-C01E5E04CDCF.jpeg

296ardun and 427 sleeper like this.
  24. 296ardun

296ardun

Right, "...all vehicles not having windshields."

25. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ