Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How Many Hambers Work in the Trade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, May 6, 2022.

1. I did paint and bodywork for about 15 years before my wife helped me go back to school and finish an engineering degree. So, I haven’t worked in the trade, other than some occasional side work, for more than 20 years now.

2. Anderson

Anderson

I’ve been building cars professionally for the last 8-ish years and have gotten pretty damn good at it. Before that I machined engines for 3 years, and before that I worked the parts desk of a local street rod shop for 5 years. And before that misc oil change places.

I wish I could do something different many days and get out of doing car stuff for a living. But it is what it is…

Tman, BJR, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  3. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

31 yrs im 55 now still hittin it hard everyday started in air cooled vws at a few shops, did 2 yrs at a chassis shop (dirt track ,asphalt,drag,pro street was big then) then strait to hot rods n restorations ,skill set runs pretty wide everything accept final finished paint , where i came from ya had to build the whole car ,fab work,panel beating,chassis, pluming ,wiring,body ,efi swaps hell even glass work , been a long ride so far and no slowing down for me . my father gave me my hands and taught me to fix everything , lost him lil over 2 years ago ,ive got his hot rod on the road now we were building it together we got as far as almost runner . scratch built the chassis its a mid 50s north east style 27 wth a flatty and is my forever car hes with me when im cruisin or workin in the garage ,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Jim the Sweep, Budget36, BJR and 5 others like this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Worked in a restoration/custom shop during law school making some side money on the weekends. There's an old saying, "Don't let your passion become your obligation". I'm a firm believer in that. It wasn't fun doing work for others. I know there are other people that adhere to the flip-side of that mindset that "if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life", but that hasn't held true for me. To each their own.

Tman, BJR, Boneyard51 and 5 others like this.
  5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lol, same as music. I was a professional musician for years and decided I loved it too much for it to be my job.

WiredSpider, BJR, Anderson and 2 others like this.
  6. I worked at a Custom Car body shop for about 5 yrs. It was very hard but rewarding work. Sometimes it was harder to get the customers to pay. We'd hide the car and when they paid we'd find it. HaHaHa!

BJR likes this.
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just retired from the hot rod chassis business after 40+ years. I still do the T5 kits, Brakes, Quick Changes and Water Pump Kits. Can't completely quit.

fabricator john and BJR like this.
  8. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the outside looking in it looks like it's very difficult to really make money doing this professionally. I'd love to work in a real classic car shop but it's hard to imagine a guy like me getting hired by any of the real builders in this scene.

BJR likes this.
  9. jaracer

jaracer

Started hanging around a filling station/used car lot when I was 12. Made a little money installing rear seat speakers in the early 60's as a teenager. Got a degree in Education with a major in Automotive Technology. Worked for a Pontiac dealer, a Lincoln/Mercury dealer and a Dodge dealer. Between the L/M dealer and Dodge dealer I taught automotive technology at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. Moved into the heavy truck industry in the mid 80's and taught and supervised repairs on semi trucks. Had a heavy truck training company for about 9 years and finally took a teaching job with Freightliner. My last job was manager of customer training for DTNA.

When not working I played with boats, motorcycles, and all kinds of cars. Also raced sprint cars for about 10 years. Don't think I'd change anything.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. It is not hard at all. Most shops are always looking for someone to sweep, run parts, do odd jobs. You start at the bottom but get immersed in a lotta fun projects. 15+ years ago the job market was swamped from TV fab shows and young folks going to Wyotech and other trade schools thinking they were going to be the next Jesse James. That part has simmered down the last few years. But, to give you an idea, one of the better young guys at the shop I was at quit and went to work in collision repair. Better work, cleaner work, WAYYY better pay and benefits.

VANDENPLAS and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-6-4_4-8-54.png

Hello,

Having worked and saved as much as he could, my brother decided to start a small speed shop during our 58 Impala racing days and for our 1940 Willys Coupe 671 SBC B/Gas-C/Gas days. It wasn’t as if we had plans to overtake Joe Mailliard’s Shop or Reath Automotive, but, it was to give us a discount on parts we needed for our own build. Then once started, some of our friends asked if we could get them a specific part for “their cost,” meaning a friend’s “deal.”

We had a local auto parts store that gave us a wonderful discount on normal everyday replacement parts, like plugs of all kinds, Champion, Autolite, Lodge, etc. They also supplied us with tons of new wiring and switches, too. By the start of the summer of 1960, they were very interested in sponsoring us at the drags, once the owner and friend saw our 1940 Willys Coupe at Lion’s Dragstrip. (and how much we spent at their auto parts store, a bicycle ride down our street, over the years...)

So, we started out very small and remained small throughout. It was fun getting discounts and ordering parts. We even did pick up and delivery in So Cal. We did not make a lot of money selling parts, but just enough to cover our expenses and new race parts for the future. In 1960, we still needed Hilborn Injectors for the 671, bigger M&H Slicks and Halibrand Wheels, front and back. With those parts in mind, we would be ready for the Detroit Nationals in September.

Jnaki

We ran into a roadblock of sorts and focused our attention elsewhere. The Precision Racing Engines now encompassed 2 and 4 cycle motorcycle engines and whole builds. It was fun getting the parts for the hot rods, now, it was a different wholesale dealership list. Our 250cc Greeves Desert Racing Motorcycles were stocked to the brim, for each of the long desert races.

Our interest in surfing took over and we tried to get a wholesale license for surfboard dealer’s cost parts list. (for making surfboards and finishing) But, the California license board said we did not do enough business to qualify. Two full hand shaped, custom finished surfboards, tons of repairs, from small to large on various friend's boards, and color matching resin finishes was not enough to be a dealer or wholesaler. (Surfboard Repairs by Huey...)

We even dabbled in the skateboard parts and developed a custom kid to adult scooter called Sunshine Scooters. It was a series of custom skateboards with a designed "T" handle and accessory parts for toddlers to adults. (prior to the big wave of Razer 2 wheel scooter craze...)
    upload_2022-6-4_4-33-3.png proposed company panel truck

Finally, later on, we got a business license to do some custom photography. It allowed me access to wholesale supplies and materials. No discounts on cameras, but the developing/finishing end was open to us. The business was not just hot rods and custom motorcycles, it ranged from company catalogs to individual items for photography and several friend’s weddings.
    upload_2022-6-4_4-22-12.png
    The photographic business took off and we had big plans including a nice drawing on the side of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery doors.
    upload_2022-6-4_4-23-49.png

As young as we were at the beginning, 1957, it worked its way to a hot rods/drag racing/custom surfboards-repairs/motorcycles, skateboard-scooters, a photo business and family life. So yes, we were in the trade at one time or another.

Beanscoot likes this.
  12. Koz

Koz

Have a small one man shop, (almost all HAMB friendly stuff), where I get to pick and chose my clients better. If I add employees I need to take work I don't like to keep them busy. Unfortunately this is how you make money. I've a list of great clients and three PITA over the last 15 years so I'm not bitchen' too much. Even they were OK for the most part, we just didn't see the same vision.

I'm seventy now so I just take what I can handle. Biggest complaint is I can't find time to finish mine!