Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Glass, its goin up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty valley, May 10, 2022.

1. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yep, same method that my glass guy used for my '40 Chevy back in 1965..cool to watch...

continentaljohn likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks a million, Lloyd! Great tutorial, when I had my shop I had a GREAT glass guy across the church parking lot. (Imperial Glass, specialized in classic cars...) He always treated me fairly, insisted on pricing my glass work wholesale, as I was a business. Where is that nowadays???

I'm getting disoriented, and can tell you how:
    My ex girlfriend was Japanese, and said 'Oriental' has 'offensive tones'. She said, "Asian: That's correct." She added, "You heard it from an authority. Call me 'Dragon Lady'!" (much laughter...)

3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If anyone should find that something I said was politically incorrect and offended them............I think thats great.:p People who are always looking for something to be offended by, will always find something that they consider offensive. I don't give a shit if the peabrains have nothing better to do than always be offended. Personally my heritage is Irish...........but I think there is some other (German & American Indian & ?) in there as well......but my surname is Irish. So should I be offended when I hear the term "Irish Pub" ? How about the term "Italian restaurant" or "Mexican Food" ? Bought some plants for the wife......and they proudly proclaimed they were from a "Woman owned business".............on and on with the bullshit.
    The only thing I find truly offensive is when someone puts a Ford engine in a Chevy........now thats politically incorrect!;)

WilliD, texasred, 427 sleeper and 4 others like this.
  4. 5.29 huh? If you come to commiefornia plan on adding AT LEAST a buck to that.

Jalopy Joker and 210superair like this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

Now I want to try to cut some glass, even though I don't really need any for anything at the moment. When I part out cars I might start saving old flat glass, if I need a vent wing or quarter window or something maybe I can cut it out of a used piece. Not even for the cost savings as much as I just really like to use stuff that already exists instead of everything new.

lostmind likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you learn the art of cutting glass from...
    [​IMG]

Flathead Dave and 427 sleeper like this.

7. The fuel price increase would make sense IF each truck were hauling 10 pieces or less, but that excuse is used to justify gouging, plain and simple! Let's say I'm hauling 1,000 widgets from point A to point B, which takes 100 gallons of fuel. If the price of fuel goes up $1.00 per gallon, that's an additional $100.00 cost per load... $100.00 divided by 1,000 widgets = $0.10 per widget! So what do we see in thge market place? "$1.50 per widget increase due to higher fuel costs." The greedy gougers will take advantage of any opportunity they can, and thus we get runaway inflation. JMHO, YMMV (get the pun there?)

chopped, Kan Kustom, lostmind and 2 others like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You cut glass good, grasshopper.

Glass is going up cuz there's a shortage of sand now.
    :confused:

I'm part Yugoslobian.

9. twenty8

twenty8

You might find that most flat glass in cars will be tempered (or toughened), which is a whole different box of frogs to laminated glass. Tempered glass is cut to size/edge finished before the heat treatment to temper it. Once tempered, it can't be cut. It will just break into thousands of tiny cube pieces.

ekimneirbo and continentaljohn like this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

My favorite local Chinese restaurant, all the kitchen staff is Latin descent and it's awesome :D it's just cooking.
    I need to go get some tacos, if their kitchen has Asian cooks my head may explode.

427 sleeper likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for all info & pics on way to do it right glass cutting - but, after purchased/installed things can go off the rails - had flat glass 2 piece windshield replaced on '41 Chevy sedan - a couple of days later jacked up back of car to do some rearend work - both windshield sides cracked - friend had 2 piece windshield replaced on 50's Jeep wagon - on way home from glass shop drove on freeway - someone was throwing rocks down on to cars from an over pass - broke both sides - yes, we all live in a world full of challenges

12. twenty8

twenty8

The glass cutting side to this thread has been informative and useful.
    As for the other side that seems to have emerged, my take on it is this....... A simple concept to follow regarding things you say about others is "If it matters to them, it should matter to you". Not that hard to grasp.......

Back to glass....:)

13. I have 3 prices when I sale/ install glass, insurance, because they set their own rate, body shop-car lot- business, and walk in off the street. I buy at a percentage of list, and sell at a percentage of list. Percentage depending on who it is.

14. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Here's a nostalgic fun photo of the vent window in my '54 3100. I purposely did not replace them
    when I restored my truck. I wanted to leave something from what it had been originally. I actually love
    the bubbled safety material that was used. It still has the Libby Owens Ford marking as well. Young
    rodders today come up and ask me what happened to my windows, having never driven a car with safety
    plate glass.
    vent 2 (2).JPG

ekimneirbo and Jalopy Joker like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I plan on doing the same thing. The kit I’m ordering has the vent glass, but unless one of mine gets broke I’m not changing them.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Sommer and Maca glass sanding belt (water cooled) that I decided that I need to sell with a batch of belts mostly used. I just don't have a place to put it. IMG_0446 (2).JPG IMG_0447 (1).JPG

The prices up on everything no matter what it is. I went to town to look for a 2 gallon gas jug and they are 20 bucks each.

I'm thinking that that glass dude not being able to buy full sheets of glass may be as much due costs to have it sitting around rather than availability. I've got to check with my local guys about having a window made for my boat and figure to ask them.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  17. I did an insurance door glass on a later model dodge truck a couple weeks ago, they have laminated door glass in them! Well, had.... I put a tempered piece back in it lol

Bob Lowry likes this.
  18. Yeah, just for shits and giggles, I called today to check price, my laminate is still the same price. I don't care to tell ya, not like I'm selling glass to you guys, but I'm paying $6 a square foot. I don't buy bigger than 3X5. I buy a lot of 2X3 pieces.

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I spent $350 on tinted glass for my 27 Coupe and it didn't include the windshield. Door glass. 1/4 windows and rear window.
    A good deal as far as I'm concerned.

20. reagen

reagen

Thanks for the post Lloyd

21. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty Valley, I think we use the same glass guy. I got the same exact story when he cut the windshields for mu 53 Dodge P.U.

rusty valley likes this.
  22. twenty8

twenty8

Sounds like it's time to ring around and get some other stories. Can't hurt to check prices.

rusty valley likes this.
  23. rusty valley

rusty valley

Picked up my jeep windshield today, 180 bucks !! More than I was expecting. I asked, "last year this would have been about 60 bucks, right?", yeah he said. If Lloyds wholesale price has not changed, maybe this guy is trying to pump up his retirement package ? Next time I will shop around a bit

24. twenty8

twenty8

Even with all that is going on, I doubt it would have gone up 300%..........:eek:

rusty valley likes this.
  25. I'm still buying at the same price brother. I'm guessing at the dimensions being around 18" X 48", here that would be a $120 windshield.

rusty valley likes this.
  26. rusty valley

rusty valley

27. $80 here at Lloyd's :D

rusty valley likes this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Lloyd;
    I'm thinking you've just started *another* business, that we all just found out about... :D . Mail order flat glass. Around here(MN), when a few guys I know ordered flat glass, from a "non-local" vendor, the order got sent/rerouted to a local glass cutter/supplier for pickup, who actually did the work, not the guy my friend contracted with, who was known for good accurate quality w/good prices, & iirc, a member of that marque club(3 of the 4 reasons he ordered from that particular vendor). IIRC, the shipping charges were still included, but the other vendors' price was honored. Was told by a warehouse guy that this was sop in that business. Only reason I found out about this, was because I picked up the glass for a friend, as I live near the "supplier" & it all seemed odd to me, so I asked Q's, & the warehouse grunt explained. :) .

& from another thread that kicked out an old memory, yrs ago when I had some flat glass(laminated) cut for a couple of cars, the glazier stamped the glass w/an imprint to show it was correct/legal for road use. Is this still done/required? & do you have/use that stamp? Curiosity is getting the better of me - :D .
    Marcus...

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    rusty valley likes this.
  29. fuzzface

fuzzface

It is amazing how prices in certain areas are thru the roof and seem to climb every few days but other areas it hasn't moved at all and it stayed the same.

I know this thread is about auto glass but the Wizard brought something up how a shop honored another vendors price and I have a comment about that. Autozone here sells Prestone dot 3 brake fluid for $24.99 plus shipping if you go that route. But I can go to Walmart site and order the same Prestone brake fluid thru them for $23.97, get free shipping and they say right in the ad it comes from Autozone. Doesn't make sense, but I guess walmart promises to buy x amount in a certain time limit versus me being a single time buyer or very limited buyer.

anyways back to lloyd, wish you were closer because your prices are not bad but who knows I do have a buddy in Kentucky(Russell Springs) so maybe some day we can do business together.

30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Here is one that I just used. Good prices and the guy knows what he's talking about.
    Local to me in Riverside, CA.
    streetrodglass.com/