Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Ford vs Chevy... The Age Old War

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 12, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Ford vs Chevy... The Age Old War

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Ha, ha I love it! Not picking sides, but that's hilarious! The audacity it took to produce such a commercial. Can you imagine them doing a commercial like that today?!

Driver50x, jakespeed63 and -Brent- like this.
  3. F4B39CD0-3D8B-45C0-8E3F-95B397A6CB07.gif

good ol’ American propaganda at its finest .

4. alchemy

alchemy

Fake news. Sure more Fords died, because there were more Fords sold. It doesn't mean a thing until they tell you percentages of cars sold. Totals don't mean squat. If they gave the amount of Ramblers trashed the whole commercial would really be surprising.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

By 1959 Chevrolet finally outsold Ford, they outsold Ford much earlier in 1928, then 1931-1933. The total wood body framing of GM cars was their downfall as to why there are so many more Fords around of that era.

SS327, Hutkikz, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So "Fix Or Repair Daily" wasn't quite accurate?

And Chrysler kept quiet and just went on doing their own thing. Building a better quality car for the money than either one of them.

:D

7. alchemy

alchemy

Found On Road Dead

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dismantle a Chevrolet and soup up a Ford today!

9. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Always thought it great fun,to be on what ever side was the other side of the jabs!!
    Sure,I had fav. cars/Truth be known,I liked Studebaker designs best,but really knew they were all just nuts n bolts. So depending on witch side needed help with come-back jabs!!! I joined that one.:D:cool:

11. Car wars, been around since the beginning of ... well, cars. I've been in the Ford camp all my life and had a good time bashing Chevies and Dodges all the while taking the abuse right back. It's all good - natured fun in my world, but I can imagine some ruffled feathers over an ad like that.

12. Frequent Overhaul & Rapid Depreciation

SS327 likes this.
  13. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've owned all of the BIG THREE over the years. I've had some real good ones and some real lemons. They all go fast depending on who is building them, and who is driving them. These debates will never end. Now it looks like we'll have to put up with which is the best and worst "green" vehicle. Although, I won't be involved in those debates!!!!

14. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

This makes me smile remembering listening to the older kids arguing over which is better, while we all were sitting on our bicycles:D

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the difference between a Chevy, and a bucket of shit?

The bucket:D:D:D:D:D:D

FoMoCo forever!!!!!!!!!

16. Flimsy Old Rebuilt Dodge

SS327 and seb fontana like this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Chevys burn hotter. Did I help?:D

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  18. As an aside, I'm still getting lip from Ford guys about an SBC in my early Ford. That swap has been around since 1955. Or maybe late 1954, whenever the first 265 hit the boneyard. Geeeeeze, go bother the LS guys.

19. RmK57

RmK57

GM.....Gutless Mutha.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  20. I like Packards, Hudsons and Desotos.............even though I've never owned any of those :).

Moedog07 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Odd thing is that a buddy of mine had a pretty decent 40 Ford Standard two door with an older black with flames paint job and a very traditional vibe to it. It had a 351 and matching automatic. He took it in trade on a roadster pickup and started with a pretty honest price and I posted it on here when he had it down around 19K. Not one inquire about it from the Ford in a Ford or else brigade on the Hamb. All mouth no substance. The car finally went to the Spokane area and I don't know if he sold it outright or took a trade on it.

As far as more 49-60's Fords hitting the crusher back then, if the rest of the country is anything like this area the guys with the Fords often drove the crap out of them and possibly wrecked more of them in the process.

22. Picking certain statistics without accompanying context can be misleading to say the least.

I'd tend to agree with that. Seeing how Chevrolet didn't have a V8 until '55 (and how many buyers didn't want to be 'first adopters'), Ford was the low-cost performance leader. The speed demons bought 'em, as well as most police departments, and neither duty was soft or likely to extend service life. Ford was popular in the fleet market too, another tough duty application. And a 3-4 year old car wasn't likely to be scrapped for just mechanical issues, how many were in the yards because of wrecks? Tough to blame that on the manufacturer.

Truckdoctor Andy and RmK57 like this.
  23. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

From '28 to '86 Chevrolet outsold Ford 48 years out of 55. And that was only one division of GM.
    They were so dominate the government threatened to break up GM in the early '60's.

Truckedup, SS327 and Torkwrench like this.
  24. twenty8

twenty8

Was it a dead heat the other 3 years???o_O

25. When I was a kid I'd sit and look at the PAW catalog, jegs, summit, etc.... and I always noticed that everything was more expensive for a Ford. That ran me away from messing with them.

26. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The other three years were during WW II, when there was not any civilian automobile production.

SS327 and Hutkikz like this.
  27. twenty8

twenty8

I did think after I posted that may have been the reason. Thanks for clarification.

Found this......
    How many civilian cars were made in ww2?
    In 1941, before the war, more than three million cars were manufactured in the United States. However, only 139 more were made during the entire war. Instead, Chrysler made fuselages, General Motors made airplane engines, guns, trucks and tanks. Packard made Rolls-Royce engines for the British Air Force.

Only problem I have with the excerpt is that, for most of the world, World War 2 started in 1939.......

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Torkwrench likes this.
  28. RmK57

RmK57

Who'd have thought the government would have to bail them out of bankruptcy in 2009.

Hutkikz likes this.
  29. Dream Boy

Dream Boy

A lot of folklore listed here I think. The story I remember being written about car sales of the era stated that when Ford decided to bring out the Flathead V8 and new body it took longer than anticipated during 1932 and delayed production. During which time Chevy had inventory to sell, out sold Ford for a very long time.

Just tell your Hoodlum Friends outside, you ain't got time to go for a ride !

30. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Made Ford Tough, with Chevy Stuff :p :D

SS327, wicarnut, blowby and 2 others like this.