Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Glass, its goin up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty valley, May 10, 2022.

1. I use glass pliers, but small channel locks work just as good. 20220511_130438.jpg 20220511_130623.jpg

2. Spray your belt, spray your glass, often. Signs of heat are bad, and you will break the glass 20220511_130947.jpg 20220511_130957.jpg

3. No shit! I am so old that I remember when harass was two words. Copy that!

4. Take your time, 80 grit cuts fast, you can go as far down as you want when it comes to polishing the edge. If it's a door glass that you set your arm on, i go to 240. Everything in a gasket i stop at 180. Ease your edges, prevents stress risers. 20220511_131222.jpg 20220511_131229.jpg

5. And that's it! It's not rocket surgery. Just takes finesse and experience. But I'm not gonna finish it, nobody is paying me and I've got body filler to sand :p:D hope this helps somebody! 20220511_131617.jpg 20220511_131625.jpg

ClarkH, Irish Mike, lostmind and 25 others like this.
  6. Hey @rusty valley ,I didn't mean to ramrod your thread, just trying to help out. And as far as a curved glass, I use the same process. Kinda like a torque spec, you just creep up on your final desired size. Problem is, glass breaks, it happens. And when you're cutting flat glass and make a mistake, you grab another piece and start over, and hopefully your mistake piece is still big enough to cut another piece from, but on a curved windshield, it's a different story, you've gotta get another one to start over... :( hammer down guys! Get that glass cut! Yell if I can help anybody :D

7. evintho

evintho

Dude.....you make it look so easy! Great how-to. Thanks for that!!

8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Agreed.

I would be taking a picture of thousands of very small sharp pieces of glass if I tried that.

9. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diesel hit 5.29 . Freight is going up along with everything else .
    Very nice set of skills

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

Nice job Lloyd, thanks for taking the time to show us how its done !

11. Thank ya sir :D

12. Great tutorial! Thanks Lloyd!!

13. Budget36

Budget36

Fine work Lloyd and great “how to”.
    One question why is meant by “run the crack”?

14. IMHO, about 60% of inflation is just pure greed on the part of opportunists: "Screw you, I want MORE!". It's a sad side of human nature, not the way I was raised, and not the way I try to conduct myself.

reagen, raven, osage orange and 5 others like this.
  15. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Thanks for taking time to share your knowledge with us Lloyd ! Now back to the El Camino, the clock is ticking !

continentaljohn likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

continentaljohn likes this.
  17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My glass ain't Goin up. Passenger side. Only halfway up! Gonna have to pop the door panel.

18. tractorguy

tractorguy

Great minds think alike ??? I plan to get my Willys CJ3B out next week......I promised my wife that I would replace the really cracked flat windshield glass before I give my grandson his first ride. Looks like I better raid the piggy bank to see if I can afford it !! Have fun

19. When you score the glass, you start on one end and go all the way off the glass on the other end. I go to the end that I ran off of, because you have to actually start your score on the glass, and if you put pressure on the glass there, you can't really control the crack, but on the other end, a little pressure, and it'll crack down the score line, look close, and move about 2"at a time, you'll watch the crack run. Sometimes it'll run the whole score in one click. 20220511_171439.jpg

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Great thread for a Tech Week

21. twenty8

twenty8

Great writeup with good pics and correct information.
    As a glazier by profession, I will just add one thing. Even at Lloyd's very competitive price of $20/square foot for the glass, I would estimate the cost for the uncut piece in the demo as $50 to $60. For the inexperienced, it is not quite as easy as shown. You will lose some, especially as a beginner. Every piece you stuff up will mean another $50 to $60 for another attempt. It could end up still being a costly exercise..........

22. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like a magician revealing his secrets!
    Thanks Lloyd!

23. Yeah that's the best part about getting somebody else to cut your flat glass, if they break it, it's theirs. I break a piece every now and then, but I keep a lot of them to cut wing windows and such

24. Thanks for sharing Lloyd…you made it look easy.

25. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

i work p/t in the turf industry. one of our products is being held up for the wire harness.
    where do you think the wire harness is made......Ukraine. :eek:

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have had an auction saved on eBay for glass for my car for a little while now. Last time it was renewed, the glass went up $20 and the shipping doubled! I keep forgetting to order it, got to get on the ball before it goes up again!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Lloyd's paint & glass thank you so much for showing us Laminate glass how to .
    This is awesome and have made some fancy stained glass windows . So I have all the tools needed I believe. My glass cutter is a oil release cutter can that be used ? Or will it contaminate the process.
    Also is there a specific type of glass to buy that’s would be used in the old cars..

28. No the oil is fine, I just don't use it, it helps with fine chipping along the edge, but I sand the edge anyway, so it's just less to mess with. The glass I use comes from pilkington mainly, which is LOF, (libby Owens ford) some comes from PPG. I can buy in clear, blue tint, green tint, gray tint, and GBN which is green tint with a blue shade across one end, just like later model cars. As far as everything else about it, that's controlled by the department of transportation.

Squablow and continentaljohn like this.
  29. Truckedup

Truckedup

Most everything is transported by Diesel powered ships, planes,trains and trucks, Diesel is up a third in price......When an increased affects you as a buyer it's called price gouging...When you raise your prices as seller it's called fair market value...

30. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Lloyd's paint & glass thanks you
    It’s crazy as I bought glass for my another 32 off the Hamb old glass guy. The glass was less expensive even with shipping then I can get it here and he does really nice work .

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.