Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Another "They are still out there" post

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jailhousebob, Apr 30, 2022.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

2. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

love the story details and car, enjoy that Jewel.

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@jailhousebob this is a pic of the old catalog with the parts needed to fabricate for the caddy 2A5E5C6B-2B9C-454C-A0BC-8EE380255298.jpeg

4. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Thanks John, the mounts seem to be the hard to find item.I heard Belmonts rod and custom repops them.Im sure I could fabricate a set also.Tuens out the flathead has 2 badly burnt valve seats so now I need another temporary engine until I decide which way to go with this.If you hear of a good running flathead for sale let me know! Thanks,Bob

chryslerfan55 and Algoma56 like this.
  5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bob, I have a few flatheads laying in the shop if you can borrow one. I don’t know the real condition as they “ran when we pulled it” lol. Do you have a test stand? I also have a few later 49-53 complete motors.

chryslerfan55 and Algoma56 like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1958, I was an apprentice mechanic at Red Mayfield's Garage, Santa Clara, Ca.
    One of the older rodders had a nice, solid '36 Ford 5 window he was selling. Original engine and trans, Mor-drop front axle, hydraulics, and 15" Merc wheels.
    I bought it for $275. Little 'tall in price' then, but car still had the original radio with the remote controls in center of dash. Radio worked perfect, and seller had just had dual exhausts installed, car was painted with black Barbecue paint with a Vacuum cleaner. Looked 'smashing'!
    First thing I did was install 8.20 U.S. Royal Masters on rear, (WWs, the old 'recessed whitewall' with the smooth outer wall) and 6.40 X 15s on the front. I reversed the Merc rears to bring the fatness of the sidewalls just protruding, with the tread inside. Perfect radius!
    I bought 4 '50 Merd "ash cans" (dog dish?) caps, sat so perfect everybody at my new high school (Lincoln High) was taking pictures of it!
    This post brought that '36 back, I always thought it wished it was a '39 or '40... LOL
    Biggest thing it got was a 304" flattie out of my '32, just about a month.

7. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Great story Mike,thanks for sharing. In 1958i was too young to drive but remember watching my dad fix flats at his Gulf gas station in Brentwood new york.He didn'r have a tire machine and used 2 tire irons and a big rubber mallet.Alot of work for the 50 cents he charged. Mom would take the Wrecker out on tow calls and my job was to sit next to the coke machine and keep the empties organized. I would sit there all day just watching the cars come in and out and loved every minute of it!

8. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

'39 Deluxe Coupe is such a beautiful car. Congratulations! It sounds like it's going to the right new owner.

continentaljohn likes this.
  9. reefer

reefer

Glad you found your car Bob, my favourite out of the three 39/40’s.
    I know where you’re coming from with it being a survivor and reluctant to want to change too much.
    That colour is the best imo, it really suits the lines of the car.
    Cad motor swap sounds good if you can source all the parts.
    The only thing Ford improved over the 39/40 run was the 40 Deluxe dash imo... a 39 Deluxe with the 40 Deluxe dash is perfect.
    Happy the right person bought it and it didn’t get street rodded.
    Please keep any updates coming, I’d love to see how it goes .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Thanks John, may have to come by and take a look.

11. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Thanks for the kind words !

continentaljohn likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Yes, they are still out there. It is just one of those things that may play a part of this pandemic craziness. People are getting on in age and those prized possessions are still sitting in garages everywhere. They are not being used or driven as they should and at this stage of the game of life, worth something. Like the crazy housing situation of homes for sale, multiple offers and overpriced sales, those old hot rods will fall into the same craziness. Watch out!

Great job in securing one good looking coupe. Despite being a coupe, the front photo gives us reminders of one of our favorite and possibly a purchase if it were for sale. A lot of times, they are not in storage, but right in front of everyone.
    upload_2022-5-31_4-22-17.png
    The atmosphere and similar color reminded us of this So Cal Ford convertible that my wife is all “gaga” over the style and looks. It is still on the roads, seen at various events, but my wife cannot keep the topic of a grey color convertible out of our hot rod conversations. If it were for sale or discovered in a garage, the next garage would be our small two car garage for its future home.
    upload_2022-5-31_4-23-17.png
    My daily driver is 17 years old and still very pleasant to drive anywhere. Plenty of power, but getting on in age. So, my wife is looking to replace it with something new and different. An old Ford convertible, a Ford sedan or a small, new station wagon (that has more power than we have ever had,) for our final form of transportation for a couple of old folks. YRMV

I know which one I would choose...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Gorgeous. When am I gong to find the unicorn?

14. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

My Dad also used the tire irons and mallet in his independent gas station he started in '59. I was 10 and got an education in fixing tires early on. He had the bead breaker that backed up against the cinder block wall of the grease bay. By the time he got a manual tire machine, that he never liked to use by the way, that cinder block wall had some pretty deep grooves in it. But he charged a dollar for fixing a flat, nothing for mounting a tire if you bought it from him. Back breaking work, but you do what you have to when there's 4 crumb crunchers to feed, clothe, and house. And I'm forever grateful for the work ethic I learned from him.
    Great score of that beautiful '39, it's in good hands now for sure!

15. claude brooks

claude brooks

need your help with torque tube remove contact me, e-mail [email protected], thanks

16. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

such a nice car, what a find! Never knew that the tool tray was 'sound deadened' like that originally. I have a 40 sedan, the trunk had a recess for the spare just behind the rear axle bulge, your coupe doesn't, where does the spare go? Just curious, lovely car.