Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Yeah,,,,you’re right ,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,that setup is closer to about 1400 on gas .
    At least it would be if he changed the ratio on the blower to compensate for the fuel .

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  2. Pre oiled. Timing set x two. After the battery is charged up its ready to make noise.
    To pre oil a b r/b or gen two hemi a hardened hex shaft engages tho oil pump. The drill is run in a counter clockwise rotation. The drill has to be a very powerful half inch drill to pump 70 wt nitro oil. When it starts to pump oil the drag on the drill is very noticeable.
    The new oil pan studs were red labelled for day off of work today. I cant believe to send a 5 inch square box cost 118.00 dollars. I wont be doing that again. I couldnt believe it. 20220510_151705.jpg 20220510_151659.jpg

3. Nitro burns real slow compared to gas. Thats why it needs so much lead.
    Advancing the timing allows all of the fuel to burn. Therefore it can get lean.
    Taking timing away reduces the burn. There is more unburnt fuel in the cylinder richening up the mixture.
    Give a mag a twist in the opposite way of rotor rotation and things get exiting real quick.

saltflats, Jet96, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  4. Last edited: May 10, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  5. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Brian;
    Thanks, I learned something new. I knew nitro was slower burning, never considered the burn quality/time vs quantity.
    Marcus...

427 sleeper and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Thanks for all the updates, Brian. Your explanation of the timing vs. mixture thing helps paint the tune picture well. You know, nitro science is this very arcane, totally unique world. I'd love to play in the arena, but to be honest, I just don't have the budget. And sometimes, I don't think I have the brains! (I have a very similar engine to Brian's, but on E-85). The more I learn about the nitro world (The car guy's Ultimate Mistress), the more I respect those guys that have it mastered. A mind that can make the right nitro tuning decisions on race day, are very much like a computer microprocessor. Hats off to Austin Coil, Dick Lahaie, Don Garlits, or especially to little underfunded nostalgia nitro or Bonneville nitro guys! Go get 'em, Brian.

dearjose, chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  7. most likely the recent Sidney explosion happened do to nitro in the cylinders on the start up. someone forgot to back the engine up. that's what I would assume to be the most likely reason. the engine is warmed up in the pits prior to a run. during the time it takes to get to the starting line nitro can drip out of a nozzle into the cylinder. the proper procedure before starting one of these engines is to rotate the engine backwards. this opens the exhaust valve as the piston pushes any nitro out the exhaust port. a hemi works perfectly as the valve is at the bottom. on a chevy the spark plugs need to come out. nitro is very stable until it gets compressed or heated. a uncontrolled amount of nitro going into a hot cylinder then getting compressed as the engine is rotated is the perfect combination for a disaster. it doesn't need a spark to get set off. I have seen studs get pulled out of a block with the head coming off the engine. I have seen a backfire with the turn down bar still attatched almost killing a crew guy. any time these cars start up the whole crew needs to be on their game. after a run the mags are disconnected and the engine is turned down. mag kill wires are placed on the coils. these things happen before the car comes down the return road to the pits. a added benefit to turning down a engine is it helps straighten the valves. the valves get so hot they warp. while they are still hot they can get flexed back into shape. we see the difference during post race leak down checks.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  8. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Scary stuff. I saw something on Facebook that the team put out. Everyone has been released from the hospital. Luckily no serious injuries. Im surprised there were no burns. There have been a few of these incidents along with crew guys getting run over. Im surprised nhra hasnt mandated the starter has to wear a fire suit and helmet. Nascar i think has some rules like that.

chryslerfan55 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  10. I got home from work and went right into the shop. The battery was charged and it fired right up. I need to do some adjustments and some clean up. It might make the local cruise in saturday. 20220511_193902.jpg

11. I took the car out tuesday for a ride. I found out second gear was not working. I drained the fluid only to find black goo coming out. So a clutch pack is junk. It all came apart and is fixed. Now its back up and running i should probably do something with it. I plan on driving it to work this week. Its 45 miles round trip.
    I plan on making some passes at Kaukaunas track on the 18th. They have a vintage day going on. On the 19th i plan on being at the Borchardt show in Greenfield for their fathers day show. They get over 500 cars. Then the following week i will be at the out of site drags. That will keep me busy for june. 20220530_121654.jpg

12. Look'in Good! Keep busy, stay safe, and have fun!
    One of the saddest things seen is dry rotted tires on a good ride. Sitting sure doesn't help them either. Have a great month! Hopefully we can get to see you again sometime soon.

racer-x likes this.
  13. spanners

spanners

The footage I saw they put the cut hand down to the young bloke getting cut by an injector exiting the engine. Another young fella in the golf buggy had his headphones blown off his head and punctured eardrums. Yes, it was from nitro dribbling in to no. 7 cylinder.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

As an aside (and apologies to Racer-X for being a little O/T on the thread), Number 1 Son managed to eject a plug from an O/T vehicle this week. Said it felt a little funny installing it. Finished the plug change, started the car and BOOM!. Plug ejected out of the cylinder, took the coil-on-plug pack with it. Other than a change of undies, no other damage. Picked the threaded sleeve/electrode out of the block, and put another new plug in. No drama. Not sure how he did it, but suspect a fault in the new plug.

plug.jpg

Cheers,
    Harv

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You can run 100% nitro but volume is the deciding factor. You still treat it like a bomb waiting to happen at all times when it's not running. I've run enough A/F injected nitro. If, there is any ANY doubt in your mind the engine is not clear of fuel in the cyls, you STOP and back it down or remove the plugs and clear it. Lippy

chryslerfan55, Woogeroo and racer-x like this.
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now as far as what waterpump will fit on a six cyl chevy I can't tell you. :D

17. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

18. Its time to have some fun. The engine disaster of last year is behind me. The car is ready and so am i. This saturday im off to Kaukauna for some eighth mile nitro hits. They have a nostalgia event going on. Sunday sunday sunday i will be at Borchardts fathers day show in Greenfield wi. They get 500 plus cars. The following thurs-sat its the out of site drags at the grove. My buddy and mentor Roger Lechtenberg will be match racing his fuel altered at this event. Stop out and say hi.

19. This pic says alot. The double wall zoomies are on along with the diaper and trans blanket. Time to burn some nitro. 20220616_122951.jpg

20. See you at the Ghost Rods vintage drags Saturday.

mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Good luck Brian keep us posted sure wish I was able to make it to out a sight this year but life has had other plans this year for me I’ve only been able to run once so far this year and it wasn’t real great but planning on goin to sikeston mo for the bootheel drags at the end of July also nitro chaos will be happening at mokan for the 60th anniversary of mokan you should bring the coupe down and run with all the nitro cars

22. Go get'em! Have fun!

racer-x likes this.
  23. 20220617_212500.jpg Its over before it started. We pulled into the track and got our spot. While setting up the awning my crew man Mark fell and broke his arm. So we are loaded up and at the local hospital to get him fixed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... SHIT!!! :(

mad mikey likes this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That sucks!

mad mikey likes this.
  26. Bummer, big time!

27. We will try again at the out of site drags next week.

28. You got this! Give Mark our best condolences.

mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  29. Looks like a appointment is needed with a orthopedic surgeon. Were back home.

mad mikey and wicarnut like this.
  30. Wow. Life can be unpredictable.