Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ansen slots uni-lug washers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zinky, May 10, 2022.

1. zinky

zinky

I got these in a parts deal and they are in nice shape from what I can see. Not sure they go with my vibe though. They are 14x7 slots. The center caps just say ANSEN, not ansen sprint or anything else. But the strange part is that
    A) they are Uni lug and
    B) they are a round washer hole. I have looked on eBay and only find ovular washers.
    Does anybody know where to find these type washers. ??
    I believe its a 4.5/4.75 from what I can tell
    I am about ready to toss them out of sheer frustration
    I also just placed them in the classified section on HAMB. I think they could be cool for somebodies look, just not mine
    Neal

2. Need a pic
    I’ve seen the larger shouldered mag lug nut holes get confused as unilug

3. A little info from a mopar page
    9B38EA67-8E26-4934-8FD6-4DDA55C0E360.jpeg
    a pic of 2 different style lug nuts for mags.
    My Ansen wheels used the bottom pic
    F5819F73-794A-488A-986B-214C843D435F.jpeg

4. Budget36

Budget36

I didn’t know any better with the slotted mags, used a regular washer and a mag wheel bolt. Never came loose, etc. I’d bet the fancy washers were for a visual thing.

Packrat likes this.
  5. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I have ordered offset washers from Summit.

6. zinky

zinky

Hmmm! I will have to try to get up some pictures. Upon second look I was somewhat wrong. The recessed hole for the washer is round as I said earlier, but down in there is an ovular opening which makes me think they are unilug. So I guess a round washer that had a hole off center could just be spun around to match either setting. I held them up to my 5 on 4.5 Dodge and the inner end of the opening matched up pretty nice, so I figured the other setting was GM 4.75

7. zinky

zinky

OK this is looking more hopeful. I literally almost put them out to the curb yesterday with a free sign on them. Maybe if I can find the washers I will keep them around

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there’s not Ansen on the back side casting they are something else. Not positive but I don’t remember unilugs on them…

9. AZbent

AZbent

This is a 13 inch on my falcon. With the offset lugs, these are a universal type wheel. I doubt that they are a true ansen wheel.

Attached Files:

10. Those are Appliance wheels and caps
    20220515_190742.jpg

bowie likes this.
  11. gtokid70

gtokid70

These are Ansen unilug with a insert on the inside that can be turned around. This set up looks to be a different approach to the unilug 20230825_170052.jpg

Attached Files:

12. I knew Cragar did something like this, that's the first Ansens I've seen. Those weren't around long, ET sued Cragar (and maybe Ansen) for infringing on their patent and won, forcing these imitators off the market.

There's a chance you can still get the inserts but you'll have to do a bit of hunting for them.

13. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

They are true Ansen uni-lug, my Uncle has a set of 15 x 7Ansen slots just like described that he bought new in early 1970's and which still look like nearly new(he's real anal about keeping things looking new LOL).

Centered hole washer is GM 4.75" pattern, offset washer is for both 4.5" Ford/Chrysler/AMC pattern and 5.0" GM big car and 1/2 ton truck 5 lug pattern, depending on which way the offset is aligned, in or out.

Each type of washer also had corresponding centered or offset hole aluminum plugs that pushed in from the back, so the washer around the lug wasn't also carrying the load to hold location....the aluminum plug and the mag lug shank was doing the real work.

gtokid70 put up a great pic of the aluminum plugs

14. gtokid70

gtokid70

These are 13" mags 4, 4.25 & 4.5 " bolt pattern. I bought a pinto and the guy gave me these as well as bunch of other vintage stuff. I was surprised to see that these were ansens, I've never seen a setup like this before. There going to look good on my Pinto. Oops wrong place for talk like that.:(