Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Tri-Power Manifold

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron J., May 6, 2022.

1. Where is Squirrel when we need him ?

2. I think it is a Offy also. Really like your Model A. Great color, very nice hot rod. Have fun with her.:)

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. Ron J.

Ron J.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  4. Ron J.

Ron J.

Yep, it does appear to be an Offy. Thanks for the compliment on the car, I am having a ball!:)

mad mikey likes this.
  5. Ron J.

Ron J.

Thanks!

6. Ron J.

Ron J.

Thank you!

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the Offys were really shitty on flow characteristics and to be avoided if possible; the SBC doesn’t appear to be. The only way to tell is looking inside.
    Who ever did the work was talented in the use of a blaster..

mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. Hey Ron, here is a picture of a set up I sold years ago. Offy intake and 2G carbs. WIN_20160212_114649.JPG WIN_20160212_115233.JPG

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that's a great looking coupe.

A little snooping shows this Offy intake and full 3x2 setup that Old Rex sold in the classifieds in 2016 that shows an as cast Offy tri power from all angles with the carb setup on it. Good for a positive ID but looking at an Edelbrock intake they are a lot different from each other.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ake-manifold-holley-94-carbs-3x2-sbc.1035766/

Old Rex assembled Fenton 3x2 setup for comparison. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-intake-manifold-2gc-rochester-carbs.1210906/
    He hasn't been on here since 2016 .

mad mikey likes this.
  10. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Dang, that's great looking car! Of course, I may be a little biased. I have a similar manifold that does NOT have the bowtie but has no other markings. I have a receipt for[/ATTACH] [/ATTACH] IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0214.JPG an Edelbrock maifold that came with the car, but if it is, it must have been ground off and then polished.

Ron J. and mad mikey like this.
  11. Ron J.

Ron J.

Did your setup have any kind of choke? My has a manual lever on the side of the carb. I would really like to have an electric choke but haven't been able to find the parts I know would work. :( PXL_20220508_001114597.jpg PXL_20220508_001128723.jpg

bchctybob and mad mikey like this.
  12. Ron J.

Ron J.

WOW! That is a beautiful car!

13. Ron J.

Ron J.

With everyone's help here, it pretty much looks like an Offy. You folks are great!

mad mikey likes this.
  14. Ron J.

Ron J.

I really don't have to worry too much about airflow. According to the block and head casting numbers, the motor is a 1986 smog motor. :( It might have a mild cam in it but that's it. But, I'm too old to go fast anyway! :p

15. Ron J.

Ron J.

Do yours have any type of choke? Mine have a lever on the side of the center carb. Of course, one I give it a little throttle, the choke opens. I would really like to have an electric choke setup.

16. The center carb had a choke, I never used it. I had that 3x2 set up on a hot 355sbc. Then built the all out 406 blower motor for the drag coupe you see in my avatar. The 3x2 set up worked very well but was not really enough fuel for the some what radical 355.

17. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

@Mr48chev I think you mean @OLD REK , he has stuff on here as recent as last month. If the OP is still curious then he may be someone to reach out to.

edit- looks like it’s pretty much been decided it’s an Offy manifold :cool:

OLD REK likes this.
  18. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

IMG_0322.JPG

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  19. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Tell us why you would father have an electric choke please. I like the personal touch of manual, simple foolproof.

X-cpe likes this.
  20. 327Eric

327Eric

I bought a stock 59 Chevy 2 jet with the hot air choke. I plan to install an electric conversion to make mine work. Damn carbs aren't cheap anymore

jimmy six likes this.
  21. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Welcome to the HAMB, Ron - Love that green color! Nothing more to add to the intake discussion, just enjoy your new ride!

Ron J. likes this.
  22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ron J. likes this.
  23. Ron J.

Ron J.

Well besides having to get out of the car to set the choke, the other problem is once I "blip" the throttle the choke kicks off. :( Basically, if the engine starts to die and I try to feather the throttle a little bit to keep it running the choke kicks off. I could put a normal manual choke on it but I'm not willing to bore a hole through my firewall. :eek:

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  24. Ron J.

Ron J.

The real problem in my case is that the choke housing and associated parts aren't there and the end of the choke shaft has been cut off.

jimmy six likes this.
  25. hepme

hepme

same here-i don't have a choke on the center but intend to go electric with one. PITA when starting and forever to warm up. I used to buy the 2g carbs at swap meets for 2-5 bucks, now they want 80+ and they need an overhaul.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I love the old 3-2 setups. Talk about price.............Chevy's have it made. I priced a New 440 Mopar six-pack setup for my station wagon. The center carb is over $900 :eek: The aircleaner was $418 without the element.:D

27. carbking

carbking

Seems some folks would like to buy parts at 1962 prices, using 2022 wages! :p ;) :D

Jon

ottoman, jimmy six and X-cpe like this.
  28. X-cpe

X-cpe

And pay for labor at '62 rates. I know I would. :D:D:D

jimmy six likes this.
  29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome. You have a clean looking little A and well detailed. I think the bow tie emblems were done on an EDM in a tool shop.( Injection mold or die ).

30. dln1949

dln1949

Yep, your right, that's a good looking Model A Hot Rod. lets go run the wheels off of it. I'm kinda with DeathrowDave on the bowties, I would take a file to them and eliminate the sand cast look, make them smooth like the rest of the manifold. Just my two cents.