Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1946 or 1947 Ford half ton frame number question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wfopossum, May 8, 2022.

1. wfopossum

wfopossum

I have a what I thought was a 46 Ford half ton but the frame number starts with a 7 which should indicate a 47 model. And the production number 895270 would indicate a 46 model. I read somewhere that Ford started titling 47 models in Feb of 1947. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm putting it up for sale as soon as I can decipher the vin,here are a couple pics.

Attached Files:

2. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

That's the freshest 76 year old stamping I have ever seen! Further more, the 1,6 and 9 font are incorrect.

Bill

3. wfopossum

wfopossum

I was thinking the same thing,do you think the numbers were stamped over the old ones because they were illegible ?

4. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

The more I look at the numbers, it looks like an attempt to clean up the numbers with a Dremel and small burr.

Bill

5. wfopossum

wfopossum

I tried to dig out the old dirt out of the numbers with an exacto razor knife and wirebrush wheel but didn't use a dremel. Do you think it's a 1947,with it having a 7 as the first digit ?

6. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Is this a V8 or 6 cylinder truck? The first number does look like a 7, but the prefix sorta does not make sense. I sorta read 71C?,G?,0? 6. I assume no title to compare? Again, if those numbers are correct, the 6 for sure is the wrong font shape.

7. wfopossum

wfopossum

It's a V8,an 8RT from a later model tuck.looks like they swapped the whole driveline from a later model truck. It doesn't have the engine number on the pad on the bellhousing so I can't use that number. No title,I'm in Bama,I believe it came from Miss.which has no titles before 1969.

8. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

What year did they stop using the odd font 1,6 and 9??

9. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

From Vanpelt:

The number (including the prefixes shown) was always preceded by (and followed by) a stamped "star" similar to an asterisk. It is believed that this was done to prevent someone from fraudulently adding a digit to the beginning or ending of a serial number in order to alter its identification. From the Ford Service Bulletins there is a bulletin dated April 15, 1938 that refers to "Engine Numbers". The subject covers the use of the correct stamps when reconditioned cylinder assemblies are stamped by dealers. The bulletin goes on to say that the dealers should use the K.R. Wilson number A404B stamp set. The 1940 K.R. Wilson tool catalog shows the A404B stamp set of 11 stamps (numbers 0 thru 9 plus the "star"). The same catalog shows a new number A404 stamp set of three (just the 6 stamp, the 9 stamp, and the I stamp). The K.R. Wilson catalog states that "The design of engine numbers has been changed to lessen the possibility of outside individuals attempting to change engine numbers. The figures I-6-9 have been changed. Dealers should immediately provide themselves with the new figures - One-Six-Nine. See Ford Service Bulletin, Subject No. 6000 (Engine) Page 22."
    ford-vinstamp-fonts.jpg

The diagram above is from the 1940 K.R. Wilson Catalog of Service Tools & Garage Equipment, and was included with the notes about the change in stamps. The primary differences were the numbers 6 and 9, and the number 1 becoming more like a capital "i" in appearance.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Budget36 likes this.