Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Truck Arms/4 Link vs Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparjack44, May 8, 2022.

1. moparjack44

moparjack44

I'm in Halifax VA. About 15 miles from NC line. Very Southside.

2. moparjack44

moparjack44

Sounds like an option. Gonna do some research, but my budget will have to make final decision.

3. Very familiar with the area. Used to take my boat to Kerr Dam often, and have some relatives in Greensville County (Purdy).

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is an interesting setup, but may have issues if the stock transmission is being used.

If memory serves, the parking brake on that car is a drum on the tail of the transmission. There would be a lot going on there with the torque-arm needing to end about there.

Of course, the F-body rear, should the width work, has a parking brake setup in a more modern location.

Or grab the T5, too! Run all of it!

5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Having played this game on a 51 Chevy, here are some pennies...

If your goal is just to soften the ride, and you do not plan to significantly lower the car from where you are currently, stay leaf and tune a spring rate with the help of a vendor, then combine with a quality shock.

I converted my car to truck arms because it is significantly lowered. It is a huge amount of work compared to a spring change. Huge. A 4-link would be similar fabrication time. Both impact exhaust, driveline (perhaps), floor, seat? It can spiral out of control just for a spring rate change. Truck arm is a bit less intrusive than 4-link on the floor/seat. Opposite for exhaust.

Lowering (which you may not intend) adds exponentially to the fab work according to how low you choose to go, mostly in the floor, trunk floor, etc.

6. moparjack44

moparjack44

Tranny is 727TF?

7. moparjack44

moparjack44

That is great info. I am pretty much convinced I am staying with the leaf spring set up and see what I can do to soften the ride a little.
    It's a 4000 lb car, and it rides fair. I am 77, I enjoy and drive it a lot, and on long trips. I ain't that old, but my bones sure the hell are.
    Jack

AHotRod likes this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Sounds like maybe you just have too much rear spring. I'd try removing a leaf on each side and maybe some adjustable shocks to tune the ride some. Or, go all the way to one leaf and use some type of adjustable coil surrounded shock along with the leaf till you find what you want. Fairly simple and adjustable.

9. 73RR

73RR

MaMopar spend a lot of R&D money on parallel leaf systems into the 80's so I'd not call it obsolete as some do.
    Give that you dealing with a 4000 lb car you might look at some of the 70's-80's offerings of similar curb weight and see what is available. St. Regis, Cordoba, Newport, etc. These, and others, are all soft rides..

10. moparjack44

moparjack44

That's gonna be my plan, starting Monday morning. Do you have a suggestion which leaf to start with. I have been thing next to the bottom leaf as a starting point?
    Jack

11. moparjack44

moparjack44

My springs are only a few years old, maybe 5. Think I am gonna try removing one leaf at a time. My wife has me on a tight budget...