Register now to get rid of these ads!

History True Barn Find Micro Midget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ben Falconer, May 8, 2022.

1. Ben Falconer

Ben Falconer

I stumbled upon this super rad Micro midget the other day. I first thought it was a 1/4 midget when I saw the ad, but upon seeing it, it is a little bigger. It was upside down, on a scrap trailer. The farmer I bought it from was clearing a barn he was about to tear down so he was building up scrap to take to the yard. Must have thought again when he saw the race car enough times.

The farmer, in his 70s, claims his uncle bought it for him and his family members in 1960ish. They raced it around the farm, in the pastures and on the road. Based on the condition of the wheels, a flat tire did not stop them. Safe to say it’s short life running on the farm before it was left in the barn for 30-40+ years, took a toll on its condition.

I only brought my pickup to pick the car up, since I thought it was a 1/4, so I had to return the next day to get my new toy. When I got there, sitting next to the still upside down car was a trailer. The trailer that was made to haul the car. The wheelbase and width matched, making the trailer pretty much only useful for the car. The trailer is in much worse shape than the car. It was under 40 years worth of dirt and plants from being buried under a patch of trees at the edge of a corn field.

Beyond this, I don’t know much about the car. I feel like someone knows something and I hope to find out one day. I have now gotten it on the trailer and I don’t intend on doing anything else to it. Other than sourcing another set of wheels and tires to make the trailer useful. And trying to get some tubes for the tires to make it a roller. I don’t want to do anything to change the look of the car even the slightest.

What do you all think??

Ben

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

That is awesome... Is the motor froze up.... It would be cool if you could get it to run

4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Kinda looks like vintage airplane wheels and tires on the racer.

Gary

5. Ben Falconer

Ben Falconer

Not frozen. Missing the fuel tank, but I may try to get it going if I find the time. Likely hasn’t run since 1968

hrm2k and HotRod33 like this.
  6. Ben Falconer

Ben Falconer

They are! 19” Firestone Air Champion tires.

SS327 likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Cool. What kind of engine is it?

I have a set of old
    Airplane tires kinda like that. Always wanted to put the on my go kart. But that was 50 years ago;)

8. Budget36

Budget36

Cool. What kind of engine is it?

I have a set of old
    Airplane tires kinda like that. Always wanted to put the on my go kart. But that was 50 years ago;)

9. Ben Falconer

Ben Falconer

10hp Briggs and Stratton model 23

Budget36 likes this.
  10. SS327

SS327

Why don’t you want to fix it up?

Hutkikz likes this.
  11. What a great save, would make a great little project.

SS327 likes this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

When you get it rolling, you might change your mind. Great Save!

13. Ben Falconer

Ben Falconer

Sourcing wheels would be a challenge, tires as well. A lot of it is intact as it sits, so any repairs would stick out like a sore thumb. The decision would be to completely restore it to its original look, try to fix some things and get it move on its own power, or leave it like it is(which I have been contacted by a guy that claims he has photos of it and knows it’s history. However he won’t share any of that unless I agree to sell it to him, go figure). But I do agree that it would be very fun to drive if I put some time into it. I also have plenty of projects already, like a 70 Cuda I haven’t put any time into in the last 2 years. Decisions, decisions.

SS327 and hrm2k like this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

run away from him

tractorguy, Kiwi 4d, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  15. greener200

greener200

That's called a real "douch manuver "
    You got to sell it to him .........:eek:

tractorguy likes this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Tell us what geographic region you're in and someone here may be able to share at least some general history of it or what tracks it may have raced at in the 50's. (It has it's own purpose built trailer which indicates it was trailered to race tracks).
    From there, you can do some research (internet forums, Facebook groups, etc) and hopefully come up with the history and maybe some old photos ("the Bug" grill artwork will be helpful). Once you do, be sure to tell that guy holding the history ransom to pound sand.

It's sat 50+ years. IMHO, if you're not going to restore it, let someone else have a shot at it. If the engine turns free, get it running and sell it. Then take the proceeds and put it into parts/labor toward moving forward in your stalled muscle car project.

SS327 likes this.
  17. Ben Falconer

Ben Falconer

The car was found in Brillion, Wisconsin. I am in Neenah, just west of there.

I am gonna bring it home from storage and play around with it. Trying to figure out if the airplane wheels were put on by the farmers and it originally had midget-appropriate wheels. It will be difficult to get these wheels working it has now.

tractorguy likes this.
  18. set me on fire

set me on fire

very cool - good luck with it

19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Aircraft rims, those are off any small Cessna or Piper. Occasionally they pop up for sale fairly cheap.

Tires- a lot of aircraft tires get pulled off on hours rather than wear. Speak to the manager at a small airfield to see where they get their maintenance done. You'll probably be able to pick up 4 tires that are in good enough shape for that but not in the eyes of the FAA, often for free because they have to pay to get rid of them at the airfield...

SS327 likes this.
  20. TCTND

TCTND

[QUOTE=" However he won’t share any of that unless I agree to sell it to him, go figure).
    Tell him you'll be happy to sell it for $60K.

tractorguy, SS327 and Budget36 like this.
  21. SS327

SS327

I would tell the guy with the history to go pound sand up his ass. He knows you have a valuable piece there and he wants you to think he is the only one who will show it some love because he knows how special it is. I would not sell it to him at any price. In fact the next time he asks about it tell him you fixed it up and gave it to your grandkids to play around with on their property out East.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    tractorguy and Ben Falconer like this.
  22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Key question: do you fit in it?

23. Ben Falconer

Ben Falconer

Barely. BCF4C5CD-5826-4E4B-995D-F05BB0AD3FD9.jpeg

24. Budget36

Budget36

Naw, mess with his mind. “I’m stretching the frame out and making a tandem two seater out of it, changing up the body to modernize it for the kids”

If he composes himself to ask about the engine “scrapped it”.
    ;)

tractorguy and SS327 like this.
  25. SS327

SS327

You fit pretty well! You have to build it now. I know I would. If only to keep it from the jackass.

Budget36 likes this.