Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery tool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, May 8, 2022.

1. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

I think this is some type of sparkplug tester, any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

sparkplug rf noise suppressor

3. I don't recognize it but I recall some snake oil ads for similar-looking deals that had a gap or piece of resistance that was claimed to build the spark up 'hotter'.
    But I absolutely don't know anything absolutely about the item or the subject absolutely for sure. It just looks a little cheesy to me like that type of thing.

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I think yellow dog is right. It looks like a noise suppressor to eliminate static noise on the radio. Predecessor of plug wires with built in suppression core.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm with @The Shift Wizard it looks like the supposed spark enhancers that were sold by places like J C Whitney and Warshawski back in the 60s

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks a lot like the units in this mid 60's noise suppressor kit. Noise suppressor kit.jpg

7. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

8. SS327

SS327

Can’t be from the mid 60s considering that is at least a 68 Chevelle on the packaging.

9. My Dad had an electronics and music shop in the 50s, 60s, 70s ... He had a large box of those suppressors that he sold to reduce RF noise. I used them in the late 60s until I discovered that a good set of resistor wires was a lot cleaner looking and worked better overall.