Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Your analysis combined with the observation presented by Kentuckian in the next post stirred my memory cells to some degree. One factor about the popularity of station wagons, especially in the upper classes during the early '60s that we may forget, is that of the traction advantage. A case in point is the fact that, on some occasions, especially when we ran the car at San Gabriel Drag Strip, the wagon qualified fast enough to run in the Super/Stock class (for money, not just a trophy). On a snotty track, running 7" recaps, a lightweight '63 427 Galaxy, a Stage III Mopar coupe, a Swiss Cheese Catalina, or an aluminum-nosed Z11 Impala could be a handful to hook up but the wagon was seldom known to spin and that circumstance would off-set some of the weight disadvantage It didn't hurt that Ron was a very capable driver. We never won that class (Gas Ronda, Bill Hanyon, Dick Landy, Bill "Maverick" Golden and a few others were out of reach but the wagon surprised some of the other "hotshots" on more than one occasion. We didn't do that every week because it really paid off in support when Ron was able to easily win A/SA and take home a trophy for the shelf at Reynolds Auto Supply in Temple City. (Joe Reynolds was a crusty old-timer who discovered that the locals paid attention to what went on at San Gabriel on Saturday night. Having the store name on the side of a class winner, especially in A/SA, was good for business.)

As I have previously posted, Ron's wagon was sold to another local in about 1966. He ran it for a few months and sold it to someone in the Northwest where it was apparently treated to an aluminum clip and was campaigned under the name "War Axe." I have no information on it's classification during that era but when it turned up inside a shipping container a few years ago, it was minus a front clip altogether.

While I have been on the lookout for authenticated Plymouth/Dodge wagons for over forty years and collected a bunch of pictures of wagons on the track I have been unable to find any that were claimed to have been showroom delivered other than the one that came from Milne Brothers in Pasadena. I guess that I'll just keep on watching.

c

Lyn Smith, Gary Glover, egads and 5 others like this.
  3. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

You folks are so knowledgeable and I appreciate you sharing your stories. Great Stuff!!

4. WerbyFord

WerbyFord

Right on!
    I was too young, missed the 1960s, but have studied enough of the era to put some numbers out there & get some of these guys talking. This thread is a great mix of pictures and stories.

I just realized from Chuck's reply, sure there was AA/S=7.00 Wt/HP for 1964, but actually in 1963 the wagons stood an even better chance:
    The hottest automatic car out there was the Max Wedge sedan at W/P=7.58. The 63 LWG Gal and 63 Swiss Cat were both W/P=8.0+, getting right in there with an aluminum-scoop 425hp 2-seat wagon at W/P=8.20.

So with the traction advantage, I can see where it could get competitive especially on a slick track, and even can see the logic of factory-backed experimenting with the wagon.

As Kentuckian pointed out re the 60 El Camino 348/305, a combo didnt HAVE to be at the top of its class to win now and then.

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Trivia:
    The Neja & Dissette red 55 Chevy pix, shows some of the "science" that went into Jr stockers. The front end is raised high (off the line to get weight transfer to the rear slicks)... just by weight transfer.
    Weak front shocks, ball joint extension blocks, front weak springs, and what else other things (and/or other ways) were done to get the front to freely move under acceleration.
    Some even used different model A arms, and/or modified (lengthened) them, to allow for more body travel.

NHRA ruled in the mid 1960's that all stock class cars, had to sit level at a stand still (with race tires on, as was raced) (I think about 1964... ? )

In some of the early 60's Pontiac stocker pix's above, you see the car sitting real low in the rear. The early 60's Chevys, Fords, (and others) did the same thing.
    Like wise some these pix of later, in the 60's, early 70's cars ....they sit level.

Anyway, I just remember the body height rule implemented at that time.

And....a few carried it even further, by literally moving the stock body back on the frame a few inches. :)
    ...and some may have set back the engines slightly in the frame :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  7. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

This car, or another one like it, originally sponsored by "Pate's Tapes", created something of a stir amongst the old-timers around here a few years ago when it was discovered sitting intact in a garage in the San Gabriel Valley, east of L.A. I recall that it may have been campaigned at first in Junior Stock and perhaps even later in Super Stock by one of the Foley brothers during the late '60s or early '70s during the heyday of Irwindale. Logic suggests that it would have been powered by the 343 horsepower, 383 cubic inch engine that has been discussed at length on this forum although there is a possibility that it might have been competitive with one or another of the 413 cubic inch combinations. Note the "T" sticker on the windshield. It may show up in the NHRA results database if it ran in the finals for the class trophy at the Winternationals.

c

8. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Cool Info ^^^

egads and loudbang like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

10. doug schriener

doug schriener

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Great picture of Larry Nelsons 55 Super Stocker. Being restored right now. Will be running in NHRA legal Stock stick shift. Larry won the Summernationals in 72 with this car, and was runner up in World SS Championship. He beat Bob Glidden' 27654767_1859006467456274_2436593785736887025_n.jpg s Ford a couple of time that summer. It was the last year Bob raced in SS.

13. Yes, I remember having a good view of the rear bumper of this car in the 72 Summers, semi-final :oops:

14. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

When we built our P/S 59 Biscayne 283/185 4 speed back in 66 I accidently built a couple of an inch engine setback by putting the engine in it on the 6 cyl frame mounts. We built our own headers for it & I didnt figure this out until years later when we put it on the street with factory exhaust manifolds and the exhaust exited right into the crossmember. An engine setback was the last thing we needed at the time anyway as you had to leave wide open to turn the 7 inch tires

15. loudbang

loudbang

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I read somewhere, (perhaps in the Car Craft "How To Build The Ultimate Jr. Stock"), that the serrations on the A-Arm bushing sleeves would be ground off so they would be smooth and flat. This would definitely make the front suspension move much more freely.

How To Build The Ultimate Jr. Stock.jpg

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Since this 57 was running the 63 - 65 style of Rochester F.I. it probably wouldn't have been legal to run in a Jr. Stock class back in the 60's, but it's just a really cool looking Chevy. It was running in the "Stock Class" at the Byron ILL. Glory Days Drag Meet in 2020.

Glory Days 2020 Red 57.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    AHotRod, Baron, bschwoeble and 14 others like this.
  18. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

That trick is still relevant today if you want to save a few bucks. There are alternatives but they are expensive.

19. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Moroso and others sold the modified control arm bushings. Youcan modify your stock bushings by pressing the center tube out a little, then grind the serrations down. Repete for the other end.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  20. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

They should have also added that you use small washers under the big washer to keep the big washer from pushing against the rubber on the bushing to make the control arm free moving for quick rise of the front end off the line.

21. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

23. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Very true but you now have metal to metal contact with any movement of the front end with the serrations gone. The contact is between the shaft and the bushing sleeve that was normally fixed before the serrations were removed. Not a good idea for the street but for limited movement when drag racing a small amount of grease when assembling and a drop of oil occasionally would be a good idea and also prevent rust.

24. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Randall Tanner on Facebook his dad owned it before the guy my dad bought it from. I have traced ALL the owners since George!

25. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

The attached picture was recently posted on the "Corvette Hot Rods" thread on the H.A.M.B. board. While I have great appreciation for the accomplishments of Bo Laws, my attention was diverted to the other cars (almost certainly Junior Stockers) in the picture. Obviously, the shot was taken after 1967 (Bo's Vette was a '67). I'm making the assumption that the '57 Chevy may have belonged to Jim Waibel, but the identity of the '63 Plymouth wagon on the left edge of he image is of particular interest to me. Also, the '64 Galaxie and the early Nova may be identifiable. Since Bo Laws and Jim Waibel both campaigned out of Division 2, it seems logical to also assume that the track was in the Southeastern part of the country. Does anyone recognize the paint/lettering on the wagon? Is anyone, other than myself, still monitoring this thread?

c

Attached Files:

26. Tom 57 150

Tom 57 150

Chuck, the blue front fender showing is Charlie Cason, who was related to Jim Waibel.

27. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Tom, I'm gratified to learn that others are still checking in on this thread. Thanks for your response.

As a bonus to you and any others still hanging around, I'd like to call your attention to the fact that Big John Barkley is running his original, iconic '57 in Stock Eliminator this weekend at the double Lucas Oil Divisional events at Woodburn. Qualifying for the first of two separate races can be found at:
    https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=380908&Filter=100#indextop

Some of us crusty old farts simply refuse to stop having fun!

c

28. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Chuck: That photo looks like early Rockingham and kudos to J Barkley

29. Tom 57 150

Tom 57 150

Chuck, I have monitored Junior Stocks on this HAMB site since 2011. I enjoy reminiscing of the good old days 1964-1971. I keep up with BJB thru FB. He has his been improving his old car big time! So proud for him. Perseverance pays off!
    Tom

30. loudbang

loudbang

I had these few left when I stopped collecting. Can't let them go to waste ;)

1.jpg 2 ops ahra........jpg 3 hemidav.jpg 4 65 pacecar in motion.jpg 53 john petrie canada.jpg

Note the Tempest grille (lighter) and small bumper "allowed" under minor custom touches. :eek:
    54 tempest grille smaller bumper.jpg