Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wierd flathead lifters in 59ab * Now with Pictures*

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jailhousebob, May 6, 2022.

1. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I posted this over on ford barn and thought i'd share it here as well. I'm working on a 59ab that showed nocompression in 2 cylinders . I pulled the intake to see what was going on and the engine has lifters that i have never seen before and i've dismantled maybe 2 dozen flatheads. The lifter has a round button on top that contacts the valve stem,like an adjustable lifter would have except the button is round not a hex like an adjustable. The button sits on a flat top that is seperate from the cylindrical sides and sits down into it a bit.The top is held in place by a wire type snap ring. At first i thought it was some type of adjustable lifter but there are no slots or holes for a wrench and , again, that top button is round and has no provision for a wrench. Also, the top freely turns when at the bottom of it's travel with no tension on it. It looks very much like a hydraulic tappet. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow but if anyone has seen these before please let me know. Bob

2. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Pictures would be nice!

3. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I know, hard to imagine from my description.

SS327 likes this.
  4. Pictures would be helpful.

5. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Here ya go. Sure looks like a Hydraulic lifter to me. Yes, the car was running with these. Are They lincoln? The engine had low compression on 5 cylinders,none on 2 cylinders and 100 on one.There is alot of carbon built up around the seats.I couldn't get a feeler gauge between most of the valves and tappets.Was able to measure one @ 004.No surprise there was low compression.Engine has been sitting in a car for 50 years and no idea how long it ran with this set up.Pistons are 060 over and very little ridge. Hoping i can clean the carbon, lap the valves and put in a set of adjustable lifters and move on. The lower end sounded good when it was running and had good oil pressure. Anybody ever seen these in a flathead before? I sure haven't. Bob

Attached Files:

Jet96 and The 39 guy like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

I’ve never seen them before. Or now. Your pics still don’t show.

7. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Should be up now

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I can see them.

9. They do look like Hydraulics, but ?????

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I'd bet that they were hydraulic lifters out of a flathead lincoln.

jimmy six and Carter like this.
  12. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

After you get done pulling that clip out to see what's hiding inside, you're gonna have to get a big bucket of finger-lickin' good fried chicken tonight so those fingers & nails look presentable to yo' Momma for her day tomorrow. 8^)

clip.jpg

J. A. Miller and Johnny Gee like this.
  14. trey32

trey32

Fried chicken and engine grease, a man's dinner

15. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Been a grease monkey my whole life, She's used to it !

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hell, grease & grime: Mechanic's salt & pepper!

Happy Mothers' Day, all.

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

French fries...worlds best hand cleaner

Bob Lowry, Shaun1162 and Johnny Gee like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I don’t know about the lifters but I do have those same kind of fingers...

tommyd and Johnny Gee like this.
  19. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I second the vote for Lincoln flathead lifters.

jimmy six and Carter like this.
  20. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I believe I have seen those befor. They were in a feally BIG block Ford flathead Truck. Think late 40 early 50s.

21. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The interesting part of this is that without some modification the standard Ford flathead has no provision for pressurized oil in the lifter bores. So just dropping in a Lincoln hydraulic lifter doesn't work. Hope the OP gets back with some more details of what he finds.

22. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

So i guess the person that put these in the motor som many years ago didn't know they wouldn't work in a stock flathead. I had little to no valve clearance which caused the low compression issue.2 valve seats are burned beyond salvation. The engine had been rebuilt and the lower end was tight with good oil pressure.Slight ridge so it was used for a while this way (?) This was a one owner car until it was put away in 1972.I guess it ran good enough for the old guy to get to the grocery store and back ! Anybody have a good runnung 50ab for sale ? Bob

23. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

So where does the oil pressure come from to pump up the lifter?

Bill

24. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I don't think it does.I think someone just put them in there thinking they would work. The top does not compress on them so i guess the physical dimension allowed them to open the valve. Being that they don't compress i don't know how oil is supposed to "pump them up" . I don't understand the whole thing,hence the title of the post. I will disassemble one and see what is inside and report back.
    Bob

25. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Ford came out with the big flathead V8 in 1948. This engine displaced 337 cubic inches and was used in the Lincoln passenger cars and the big Ford trucks. Differing horsepower ratings reflect the slight differences between the two engines. This was a significantly heavier engine (at about 850 lbs) than the more common 221 to 255 cubic inch V8's that Ford used for their smaller trucks and Ford & Mercury cars. Known as the "8EL" engine for Lincolns and as the "8EQ" engine for large Ford trucks (F-7's and F-8's).

Aside from its physical size, the easy way to identify this engine is the distributor, which is mounted at the rear of the engine near the fuel pump. The heads are held down by 27 head bolts on each side.

Crankshafts were supported by three main bearings like the small V8's. The truck engines were built with hydraulic lifters and solid lifters. The Lincoln engines were equipped with hydraulic lifters only. Lincoln crankshafts were of forged steel. The E series engines delivered more horsepower, but also more torque for the heavy vehicles they powered. These engines are similar to the smaller 8BA/8RT and EAB/EAC engines.

Very few parts interchange with the more common 221 to 255 cubic inch flathead V8. Some aftermarket speed parts were made for these engines back in the 1950's, but not much is being produced today aside from a supplier of multi-carb intake manifolds. Most common rebuild parts can still be found from various antique Ford vendors and suppliers.

26. SS327

SS327

I have a complete core engine I’ll give you if you come get it. Don’t know what kind of shape it is in though. If that will help you. I’m in Knox Indiana.

27. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Thanks a bunch, may take you up on that.Bob

28. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I worked in a machine shop with a guy who raced midgets. He made his own from scratch and made several sets and different kinds. I will look for the box as I have a few bits styles he made from back then. They were machined then hardened and ground to specs. I wasn’t into flatheads at that time wish I was but was into early 4cy Willy’s Jeeps

29. SS327

SS327

Just send me a pm. I’d rather see someone use it.

30. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Sorry for the delay, Here is a pic of the disassembled lifter for all those interested.

Attached Files: