Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9inch carrier bearing caps q?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, May 6, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

My neighbor has a 9inch rear chuck/pig/etc;). With a 3.00 ratio.
    Issue is he’s missing the caps for the carrier bearings.
    He said he was going to “just pull the caps off a wrecking yard rear end”.
    Aren’t the caps and carriers machines in one process? I’m thinking he’d need to find something undersized (if available) and have them machined .
    He’ll do what he want’s, just got me to thinking was all

2. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

The caps on a 9 inch are threaded to accept the bearing preload inserts.
    I have never tried to swap them.
    But the threads would have to match.

seb fontana and Budget36 like this.
  3. jaracer

jaracer

I believe they are line bored just like engine main bearings. You can't mix and/or change around.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nope. Unless you are the luckiest som bitch in the world.

Budget36 and 427 sleeper like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a nine inch third member with bad gears that he could have if you could figure out how to get it down the road 706 miles. I bought it to get the housing to cut down and don't need the third member.

Budget36 and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. The way they are machined, it would be extremely lucky for a single one to swap, much less two. An easy way to tell would be to torque the cap down and try to screw an adjuster in. If he can get caps from the wrecking yard, why not the rest of it?

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    Budget36 and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Thanks all, pretty much along my thoughts as well.

I guess he figures he can walk out with two caps rather than buy a whole carrier, I dunno. Lol.

8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have Used different caps to replace broken one on a Mopar rearend...Like the Ford they use threaded adjusters.. What I did was align the threaded adjusters before tightening the cap...Put the adjuster in the housing then align the cap to the adjuster then tightened the caps....

Budget36 likes this.
  9. I’ve never been able to get any screw adjuster to move after torquing the caps,,,,,,pretty snug fit as is .
    I can snug the caps down close and still move an adjuster,,,,,but not torqued .
    And the caps on a differential are not as close tolerance as a main cap on a block .
    And the caps don’t register in the housing,,,they register around the bearings.
    There are several thousandths of an inch clearance in a differential bearings,,,,,floating in gear oil .
    It might be worth a try,,,,,,,what would it hurt to check .

Tommy

2OLD2FAST and Budget36 like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

I put new bearings, ect in a 9in rear a good 20 years ago, don’t recall the details other than it being 10 times easier than the D44 I did a year earlier;)

I just recalled the manual I used for the D44 said to mark cap orientation and side to side.
    You may well be right, probably not as critical as an engine. I know he will find out ;)

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. You may get lucky but it may also prematurely wear bearings…how would one know until it happened. Definitely are supposed to keep bearing caps orientated properly.

Budget36 likes this.