Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Resisting Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stanlow69, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or how about math word problems like "Two trains leave Chicago at the same time going different directions at different speeds. What color was the conductor's underwear?"

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A good read:
    [​IMG]

Chucky and cfmvw like this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Yeah, well, graduate a kid that can build a bird house but can't operate a computer today, and you're basically tying a cinder block to their future and throwing it off the side of the boat. My kid has a good mix. He's 7 yo and is already training in coding, and he just helped me rebuild a 4bl carb and change the oil on the flathead last fall, put brakes on our ot daily, and this weekend we're doing all boat maint, oil changes, tranny fluid, v drive fluids.

Gotta be able to do it all or ya ain't chit.

The irony of people saying they hate technology on their favorite website should not be overlooked, lol....

4. My grandpaw could shoe a mule.
    He never taught me that. I guess it wasn’t important.

5. Jones St.

Jones St.

Missed the point, the shop courses (we had shop starting in 8th grade) & hands on lost like the generation Z. Love money? Gotta have it in the material based world of usury. Power outages bear out how fragile & dependent the nation is upon tech. Squeezing the supply chain + raising prices + devalue the dollar = control.

Wanderlust and WalkerMD like this.
  6. X-cpe

X-cpe

As times change we have to adapt. How much is up to each of us. With today's knowledge and skills we would have as tough a time in our grandparents world as in our grandchildren's. If we don't adapt to some degree we will get run over. Technology is just another tool in the box. It has its uses and its limitations. I hate it when someone says, "The computer won't let me do that." Then get another tool that will let you do it.

210superair likes this.
  7. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

I'm a tool user. Doesn't matter if its my favorite old hammer or the modern internet. If it helps me get the job done I'm for it. I'm not married to technology however. I don't carry my cell phone around much (rather use the land line) and I'm don't do any social media stuff like FB. My Mother-in-law grew up on a farm in rural Minnesota. As a very young child her daily chore was to trim the wicks of the oil lamps. Makes me appreciate what we have now.

210superair likes this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dumped my land line sometime ago. Between the monthly bill which kept going up and the endless robocalls and other junk calls it was astalavista baby for the land line.

Steve Ray likes this.
  9. cfmvw

cfmvw

My son got into Solidworks in highschool and now works in the engineering department of a composites company doing all their drawings. But he can also use old school drafting tools and free-hand draw something when the need arises. He is also pretty good with a TIG and Bridgeport, and often tells the engineers how to best design something that needs to be fabricated.

210superair and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. carbking

carbking

All "old" technology was once "new".

Technology is a tool. Use that part that works for you, and leave the rest to others.

I find Facebook interesting. Many spend money to protect their identity, and then post on Facebook "The family is going to Cancun for 3 weeks, and the house will be fair game for all you thieves".

I am convinced texting requires more time than telephoning.

I guess I really resist changes in attitude more than changes in technology. When I was a youngster growing up, we had no locks on any door.

Corncobs were superseded by Monkey Wards, and Sears & Sawbook catalogues. I think the corn cobs were superior.

As far as electric vehicles go:

[​IMG]

Jon

firstinsteele and X-cpe like this.
  11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Thankfully they now know how to change a "tyre" into a "tire".
    Next you need to teach them how to transmute "aluminium" into "aluminum"! And turn your neighbours into neighbors!

:D

SS327 and Budget36 like this.
  12. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Took me a long time to teach them to say guard (fender), petrol (gas), boot (trunk), spanner (wrench) and sill (rocker panel). (There/Tha'r) Their spelling does need work though.

Just don't make me explain to them the difference between an engine and a motor :eek::D

Cheers,
    Harv

Ned Ludd likes this.
  13. spanners

spanners

Don't go down that slippery slope Harv. You'll wake up the Gremlins on here.

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There`s a video of engineer graduates who can`t power a light bulb with a battery and a piece of wire.

cfmvw and SS327 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.