Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods YES IT IS A SICKNESS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, May 6, 2022.

1. Cruising crackheads list again.
    Seen ad for a 47 Olds..
    Wanted it for just the grill...
    So another one comes home, being held wouldsell just the grill.

20220505_191352.jpg

20220505_191333.jpg

Yes all body parts are inside.
    I think the cars is a 98... will know more once I vet to the body tag..
    How many of you bought the whole car for just one part...

2. NoelC

NoelC

A man has to do what a man has to do.

jimmy six, tractorguy, raven and 2 others like this.
  3. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yup. Bought one car just for the hood (no dents).

Ended up scrapping the first car and driving the one I bought for parts...

jimmy six, mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. What I find weird about this car is it has a open drive shaft rear end coil spring and 5 lug Wheels

jimmy six and hrm2k like this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was 15 I had a Model A coupe that had 16 inch wires. At the time I wanted to keep it original with 19 inch wheels. I bought a '30 Fordoor advertised in the local classified rag for just the 19 inch wheels. Sold it after I swapped the wheels for the 15 bucks I originally paid for it. But that was back in 1966.

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bought a 'mint' '46 Ford Coupe that was sitting on its top, in thick tall Bermuda grass. Gray business coupe was slightly oxydized, engine, tranny, rear end gone. Coupe looked like it had been stored for decades, never saw a cleaner one.
    Paid $15 for the car, (had a pink slip!) Seller turned it upright with a Fordson tractor, we slid it onto my pal's car trailer and my F100 pulled it home.
    Sold doors and decklid to a friend, but the perfect hood (moldings, etc.) was sold to a gent in Southern Calif., 400 miles south. He sent his 'bodyman' up with cash, $800!
    Bodyman said it was going on a 100-points Woody, (!) and buyer was glad to get it.

7. Just the opposite.
    A guy comes in my work and asks if I would sell the ET 3 wheels on my Nova.
    Politely turned him down and he then offered an unreal amount for the whole car.
    It was my daily driver, and left me using a company truck, but I had to take that deal.

raven, mad mikey, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  8. Bought a house once because I liked the front door, but storage was a bitch...

mad mikey and '34 Ratrod like this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're sick. Like a fox.

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Once stopped to buy a '55 Chevy grille.
    Ended up buying the entire contents of a 2 car garage. It was full of car parts a pack rat had saved.
    Paid rent for the garage for 3 months so I didn't have to move everything.
    Every weekend I would remove a truck bed full of stuff and sell during the week.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

I never really thought about it, until now, but I have actually bought quite a few cars/projects for one or two parts and then moved the project on to someone else.

mad mikey likes this.
  12. I’ve hauled some home that I didn’t even want anything off…

charleyw, -Brent-, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I remember when I was a kid working at the local 76 gas station, I bought a customers 64 Falcon.
    He was pulling the motor out to put in a different car. paid him $50 for the car and forgot to go pick it up :rolleyes: .... yeah it can be a sickness.

mad mikey likes this.
  14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Like they say, if it doesn’t kill you it can only make you stronger….

15. I have had a obsession with Deuce parts for years but I started selling some of my stash, in the last 3 years I have sold 6 grille shells and I now have one nice keeper just incase I have a accident and need a replacement.

It's amazing what you can get done when you free up so cash.:D HRP

16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I bought a 29 Ford Sedan once just to get the front fender and dropped axle.

mad mikey likes this.
  17. I bought an entire lifetime collection of model A stuff(5 or 6 dissassembled projects, plus parts) for a Stewart Warner Model A round speedo.

18. The first time I saw an F-100 I was hooked ( addicted that is, car crazy) then I found my avatar and it’s been looney tunes ever since. That’s all folks!

19. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I bought a whole roached out Desoto just for the Hemi from a guy who bought the whole car just for the grill. And there have been many others.

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Been there many times too. Sometimes it makes the most sense! And yes, it is a sickness.

ironandsteele.com​

-Brent- likes this.
  21. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a 61 Stude hawk for the trunk lid. Once I got it home and blasted it I found that it wasn't as nice as I thought:( I had to repair the lower inside two or three inches and about 30 rust pin holes. It was still the best lid out of four that I had.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. I have a friend & fellow club member that has a obsession for collecting valve covers & Pontiac honeycomb wheels, he has never owned a Pontiac to my knowledge but I counted 11 sets of wheels in his garage, at this time he doesn't have a hot rod or custom, he sold his 59 Cadillac a few years ago after his divorce. HRP

mad mikey and dana barlow like this.
  23. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

A while back I bought a '55 Stude President sedan for the rear sway bar and the fog lights. It is still sitting in my yard. I just can't bear to piece it out because it has a totally solid body with excellent floors. I keep telling myself if I ever find a '55 2-door wagon, the pres will become a donor car.

24. Wish I could get back all the cars I junked after yanking the engines....

SS327, SEAAIRE354 and mad mikey like this.
  25. I wish I had the space and money for more cars and parts. That is still a sickness I suppose.:)

SS327, SEAAIRE354 and chevy57dude like this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

I bought a ‘55 Chevy PU just for the 3100 emblems. This was early 90’s. Guy wanted 350 for the truck (no seat, engine compartment gutted, no transmission or drive shaft).
    Guy wouldn’t sell me the emblems only. Bought the truck, parted it out and made some decent bucks.
    The last piece left was a bare frame, a fella came by looking for something in a LWB ‘57 PU, he wanted to make it a short box. After some haggling I had a disc brake frontend, with a chrome tie rod, drag link and steering arms, he had a frame.

But my dad was king of buying “stuff” because it had one part on it he could use. I hauled 12 ton of scrap out of his place a few years after he passed. This was in a 55x 80 or so area that was his “pile”.

hotrodjack33, 41rodderz and mad mikey like this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I was thinking I haven’t bought a whole carcass for one part ,( technically true) but I have bought a couple to turn them into dirt track race cars and one early 70’s Mopar because of the sure grip rear, 4 speed and engine. So , you guys are worse for just one part . :D Thanks I feel better now.

28. trey32

trey32

I planned an entire family vacation just to pick up some parts that were too big/delicate to ship

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  29. ras

ras

I've told this before in a different forum so be easy on me for repeating the story. I bought a 47 Desoto 2dr coupe at an auction for the frame. While loading loose parts in the back of my truck an elderly lady comes up and ask if I'd like to buy a parts car for my new project. A day later I am the proud owner of not only the 47 2dr but also a 48 4dr. The 2dr actually turns out to be a pretty solid old car with a clear title. Here's a picture of the 48 on its way home and the 47 in its new home.

Rick
    right front_IMG_0954.jpg front_IMG_0931.jpg