Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Des Moines, Iowa state fairgrounds swap meet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, May 5, 2022.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Is the State Fairgrounds swap meet happening this year? I can't find any relevant information. I found only 1 web page mentioning 2022 and it claimed the swap meet was last Sunday(May 1). I don't recall it ever being on Sunday... also the aforementioned web page looks like one of those "we'll post some likely incorrect info just to get you to our page and then maybe you'll click on the unrelated crap links".

tractorguy likes this.
  2. low down A

low down A

last fall's swap they annouced over the pa system that this would be the last and it was for sale. i assume the contract with the fairgrounds was what was for sale. it's hard to believe a capital city of iowa has no swapmeet truly times are a changing

BJR and tractorguy like this.
  3. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

You might try alchemy hear on the hamb, he is up to speed on most happenings in the area, I too have been there not sure if it is going on tomorrow or not.

4. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Well, that just sucks. I wonder if there are any plans for a swap at a new location?

I can't remember for sure. Hawkeye Downs hasn't had one either since the derecho, have they?

5. iagsxr

iagsxr

The Hawkeye Downs swapmeet is now at the Linn County fairgrounds in Central City. It's Saturday the 7th, see attached flier

Attached Files:

tractorguy and midnightrider78 like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to take pics at any swap/show that you go to and share here

7. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Is this the first year at the new location? If not, is the turnout similar to when it was in Cedar Rapids?

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

9. low down A

low down A

seem's it's been awhile since you been to a swap meet, a year or so ago might have been the last swap at hawkeye downs i went in the spring the vendors were so few in numbers the track was closed there might have been a couple dozen vendors around the buildings. took all of ten- fifteen minutes to see

10. iagsxr

iagsxr

They had at least one last year. As I recall the weather wasn't great. A buddy of mine sold there and said he did well.

If you're thinking of Hawkeye Downs at it's peak you'll probably be disappointed.

low down A likes this.
  11. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to Central City last year. Got there early afternoon, not many venders, half of them were already packing up and leaving. Don't think I'll go back.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Last I heard from a reliable source, the DSM swap didn’t find a new owner.

We attended the Central City swap last fall and will be going again on Saturday. Even a small swap is better than none. If I was home I’d probably have yard work I’d be doing.

And, if you can’t arrive at a swap meet till afternoon, you might as well stay home and do that yard work. Swap meets start at sunrise.

13. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Oh, wow!
    Yeah, the only one I attended regularly was the State Fairgrounds because it was close so I didn't have to plan for it, just went when I had a little free time.
    I hadn't been to Hawkeye Downs since probably '16 or so.

14. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I wonder if any of the local people selling car parts will try flea markets as an alternative since the State Fairgrounds swap is gone?

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

midnightrider78 likes this.
  16. low down A

low down A

speaking of small swaps that one out at the marshall co. fairgrounds that was in the winter was always a great swapmeet one of my favorites, what ever happened to it, i can still smell them donuts cooking

17. alchemy

alchemy

A dozen years ago I had a call from a member of the restorers club that put the Marshalltown swap meet on. He asked me if I wanted to take it over, as the club members were getting too old and couldn't handle it any more. He had already asked a local street rod club. I told him I couldn't handle it by myself, and didn't have enough friends who would be able to help. So it is no more.

Moriarity likes this.
  18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As far as the Desmoines Swap Meet goes - I’m not sure really what there is For Sale. Anyone can rent the fairgrounds with enough money.

The challenge today is frankly declining old car guys.

That being said, it’s important to somehow stimulate both young and old to come and sell their wares.

I’ve known Ted for a long time and thankfully kept it going all these years and can respect Ted bowing out . Great guy and I wish him nothing but good health and a thank you.

Over time things can get stale with the same guys parked in the same spots with most of the same stuff for years and years and in this case Desmoines was twice a year.

It takes a lot of pre- planning, it takes more than several people to help.

I’ve thought about making it a destination event of a swap meet plus a car show would inject some new interest.
    Think Good Guys on a much more local smaller scale.

We need to make it attractive both young and old. Seriously.
    We need to welcome young people too and their wares.
    Equal effort for both swap meet and car show.

I would consider doing it - need to do a lot of ground work / research and any local HAMB guys want to chat sometime about it, cool.

Cob

19. alchemy

alchemy

Hear hear, Corncopcoupe! I'm all for it. But do be aware that guys who come for car shows aren't serious shoppers (no truck to put the greasy parts in), and guys who come for swap meets aren't there for the show (they are already covered in grease).

Moriarity and low down A like this.
  20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I get what you are saying - but to make it all work - have to attract as many people as possible.
    Have to do newer, more exciting things to attract more people.
    The reason things have dropped off is besides a aging crowd - repeat - repeat - repeat the same set ups.
    Need to expand the approach. Promote more to a wider range of people. Old - young and in between.
    While the fair grounds have always been - doesn't mean will always be.
    Restaurants change their menus to offer something new to get people back and new people in.....
    That can be said with any event as well.
    Expanding my thoughts to all of this.

WalkerMD and low down A like this.
  21. low down A

low down A

i agree 100% with everything you are saying, but i find it ironic that as a moderator you are saying exactly the opposite of what this site is doing, heck when a car is banned because of a tire choice, going run a lotta people off. wether we like it or not a changin of the guard is happening. remember a few years ago when some one started a weekly car show down at the fairgrounds and it wasn't long before the trouble makers ruined it,

22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

First of all - lets not confuse this.
    I don't own the HAMB.
    The HAMB is owned by Ryan Cochran.
    The HAMB is world wide with over 300,000 members.
    I have the privilege of Moderating.
    I like Traditional Hot Rods and Customs and Ryan over the years has trusted me to keep a tight ship.

But the Desmoines Swap meet came up and I shared some thoughts.
    I like swap meets and visit local car shows occasionally for social gatherings.
    This is separate from the HAMB and I guess I can delete the post and forget it and local fellas will keep wondering when and where the next swap meet will be.

You can't do weekly car shows and expect it to last. You have car shows now at local eating places. that's that.

The subject of the local swap meet came up and not having the Desmoines swap meet.
    To make it work you have to attract a wide range of ages or you can forget about more and more swap meets - the opposite will happen. so my thought is come up with something that attracts as many people as possible to enjoy cars/ parts / show cars / music - you name it.

There is a need in Central Iowa beside Good Guys 4th of July Weekend.

My thoughts were out loud to maybe keep things local / state wide but more of a one day larger event or weekend.
    That's it - a completely open mind. to something newer and bigger.
    Not necessarily the DSM fairgrounds.

Please don't confuse this - tie the HAMB to it.

If this goes negative - no problem - I'll delete it.

23. alchemy

alchemy

Eastern Iowa seems to have a good supply of swap meets now. Last weekend we went to the Monticello swap, which was held the same weekend as the Torquefest show/swap. This weekend we will go to the Central City swap. And the 15th there is one in Waterloo.

Not sure why central Iowa can't keep one going?

low down A and tractorguy like this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's why I'm thinking a different angle / approach and frankly bigger scale / picture so all those guys state wide want to come to a can't miss event.
    In addition to a swap meet, a more enhanced event for cars/ parts / food/ music etc etc.
    Not necessarily the fairgrounds.
    I've got some things in mind , investigating - so we'll see.

WalkerMD likes this.
  25. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Titus and the crew in the Cities had their own, albeit small, swap meets during Covid. It seemed like they were more of just a group of guys showing up and having a "garage sale". No fees, no services, no plotted out space requirements, minimal effort. Simply show up and do your thing. Maybe that's the way to start something going again in DSM. Just finding the place to do it would be the tough part.

Moriarity likes this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

At Corncob's house!

Moriarity likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the tough part about an event like that is finding a (free) place to have it and then there is the insurance issue in case someone may get hurt. The deal at Titus's place were all people he knew personally... would be tough to open it to the general public....

Corn Fed likes this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

Sounds like what Carl and the Cheater’s Car Club are doing in Milwaukee!
    35DAA771-5FB2-4550-8083-6F02D7E32B20.png

Max Gearhead likes this.
  29. BJR

BJR

The problem is most people don't speak I O wegan, so there is a language barrier to making swap deals. You need a translator with you at all times. :p:D:D:p

WalkerMD and tractorguy like this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

It's OK, if someone from the south comes up we can talk slower. Or if someone from the nort comes down, we can use simpler words.