Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What guages are you guys using

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Feb 4, 2020.

1. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Build picture 4.jpg Stewart Warner

Elcohaulic and Just Gary like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Older SW's in my current project.

107.jpg

4. I went with white faced Dolphin gauges and then hand painted my stock speedo to match.
    [​IMG]

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-5-4_3-45-27.png

Hello,

If I were to put in some gauges in any hot rod, they would probably be like @catdad49 and his cool looking dash + gauges. Having owned a couple of modern cars as our daily drivers that had different colored background dash gauge lights, the slight orange-ish color seems the easiest on the eyes at night. It distracts the least. We have one with a similar color and one with a green-blue tint. Both are good for night driving, but the orange-ish color is my favorite.

As far as the name brand of gauges, in our early years, we had only one choice for dash gauges, Sstewart Warner. The others that were around just did not have the look or quality of the Stewart Warner gauges. In our 58 Impala, my brother wanted a tachometer. I must have been the only one in the world that did not want a huge chrome, Stewart Warner tachometer sticking up on our dash. It would not fit correctly on the steering column and it is useless under the dash.

So, it was my job to go out and find a tachometer that would fit in the 58 Impala without having to drill holes in the dash or bolt it on the window post.

Jnaki

Here is an old story about the tachometer and its uses during our time drag racing, cruising and whatnot… From Stewart Warner to the local Army Surplus Store and their supply of aircraft technology geared to the 12v hot rod systems.

My brother had his own way to do things. But, for the sake of a hot rod build, we bought a nice big chrome Sun Tachometer for our 1940 Willys Coupe build. Our friend had one on his hot rod coupe dash and most everyone we knew that raced, had one on the dash or column. So, it was told to us that the tach was good thing to have.
    upload_2022-5-4_3-48-51.png
    A nice big shiny chrome Sun Tachometer was now sitting on the dash of the Willys Coupe. What for? was my brother’s question. He said it was nice to know how many rpms the SBC motor was turning while we drove around or was idling in the backyard. But, it served no actual purpose other than what others were telling us, that it shows shift points for the SBC motor set up.

It did show where the rpms were for the shifts, but as we found out, who has time to look at the tach if you are concentrating on getting a quick start and looking down the street or dragstrip? At night, it lights up and in the darkened cab, makes itself known. But, when the action gets to a point starting, there are so many things one has to remember. The key was to sharpen the hearing of the motor as it winds out to a peak level. The shift, then look ahead at what is going around the coupe/sedan.

There were two camps coming out of Reath Automotive. One was “watch the tach for shift points and since they are preset, it should be at peak performance.” The other camp was, “LISTEN for the motor revving up to that peak moment and then shift.” It takes practice as part of the whole “get ready to race” list and now that was my brother’s goal.

We both practiced those listening skills for the peak and never once blew anything up during our practice runs. It was a learned thing and made us concentrate on getting faster starts with the lights and or the arm drop. The chrome Sun Tach on the Willys was just for show and our backyard/pits tune ups.
    upload_2022-5-4_3-52-30.png Army surplus store find: a small aircraft tachometer with a night light and black casing.

When I got the 58 Impala, the same situation was in place. My brother did not want to drill holes in the red dash to mount any tachometer. He never had a tach, the whole time he raced the Impala. He got very good at listening for the peak, before shifting.

When the Impala was now my car, at the insistence of my friends with their shiny tachometers on their dashboards, I found a small black tach that would fit nicely under the lip of the dash, over to the right side of the speedometer. It covered the 120 mph mark, but at the drags, the 120 needle was pegged at the start and was useless.
    upload_2022-5-4_3-56-56.png the dash trim screws were already in place for a good mounting position. Within sight, but out of the way. The Green arrow placement, out of normal driving, front road vision.

The small tach had a nice built-in light and was a nice looking additional accessory. When I got the C&O Stick Hydro installed, the tach was virtually useless when the power came on in “Drive.” Getting the good quick start was the main thing, as I knew the modified motor would hold up to 95% of the other hot rods.

So, anxiety and clear thoughts of winning in a straight line was the only thing necessary. In the time of the 1958 Impala ownership, the tach was not used other than as a custom accessory. It was a one-of-a-kind small tach for our cruising show, without holes in/on the dash.

Thanks to my older and sometimes wiser, brother… My drag racing sense improved, I got better at getting good starts, shifting and keeping a straight line with plenty of traction and no tire slippages. When the C&O Stick Hydro came into play, it was all there, just step on the gas with lightning speed for super fast off the starting line motion. The saying "Keep you eyes on the prize" comes in very handy in that time period of excitement. The tach? What tach?

P.S. The C&O in drive, the power in full acceleration mode, and the transmission listening to when it knew when to shift was all that was necessary for a good performance run. All while the eyes were on the road, surroundings and the other guy in the rear view mirror... YRMV

catdad49 likes this.
  6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

7. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

My built in the early 50s roadster had (probably) cheap, no name gauges except for the SW speedometer, so that's what I used including the original speedo. IMG_3935.JPG DSCN1168.JPG

8. 4tford

4tford

[​IMG]Autometer golden oldies

rockable and osage orange like this.
  9. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Got these vdo's, but I hit um with a soft dremel to remove the vdo and get the shine down so they don't look so bright.
    vdo-350800.jpg

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm a fan of SW Green Lines, too.

Matching SW Greenline Faces.jpg PSX_20201008_194558.jpg

The Sun gauges are really sharp. They're a little hard to find in great condition but when they pop up, they're affordable.

11. Stewart-Warner & Garman! :D HRP

[​IMG]

Just Gary likes this.
  12. Original '54 Ford speedometer and Autometer gas gauge. oil, water and volts. HRP

[​IMG]

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

VDO Series 1 with digital speedo in my '36. It takes 1 mile to calibrate. Autometer Arctic White in my Henry J with digital speedo. It takes 2 miles to calibrate.

Gary

14. Stewart Warner oil pressure and water temp. Sun tach

upload_2022-5-5_5-50-34.png upload_2022-5-5_5-52-21.png

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Noah*

Noah*

Chrysler Astrodome 20220305_144255.jpg

Just Gary, kadillackid and brEad like this.
  16. I opted for Stewart Warner (known quality..right?) in my '39.
    Odometer portion of the speedometer stopped at 200 miles.
    IMG_1925.JPG

kadillackid likes this.
  17. deucemac

deucemac

I have used stewart warner exclusively since 1962. I had a full set of deluxe gauges left over from when I closed my shop in 1990. In 2005, I built my current 32 roadster that is my avatar. I used those left over set of gauges when I built it. Unfortunately I couldn't hook up a speedometer cable because of clearance problems between my Laycock overdrive and my tubular crossmember. I tried everything I could but was unsuccessful. So, my beautiful 160 mph speedometer became a hole filler. That was until I read an article in Street Rodder where Brian Brennan used a GPS unit in his roadster with an electric speedometer. I ordered one and also a new stewart warner electric deluxe speedometer. I hooked it up and was pleased for about 6000 miles, when the odometer died. The speedometer kept working for some time until it wiggled it's little legs in the air and died. I bought the speedometer from Cody Parr and called them about a warranty. I was told good luck. If I sent it to them, I might get it back and probably wouldn't work right when it arrived. Or they would lose it and deny it ever arrived. He said that the only reason he still carried Stewart Warner was because people still remembered when they were good. Stewart Warner was sold off and everything went to Mexico or overseas and quality went in the toilet. That fall I went to SEMA and talked to the Stewart Warner reps in their booth. Turns out that they were dealers asked to step in since the factory was short handed. They acted like my problem was impossible. A few days later, a rally employee was in the booth and I talked to him. He promised to help if I sent the unit to him. It worked for about a month before the speedometer needle would occasionally jump from the indicated speed to full sweep, drop back to zero, and finally go back to indicated speed. It did this every 30 to 45 minutes or so. I called Stewart Warner and got nothing but a runaround and got every excuse except for telling me who killed cockpit robin! So, next year I went back to SEMA and did the drill all over again. This time, two allegedly real Stewart Warner engineers spoke to me and asked me to send the speedometer directly to them. I did, and got a letter saying that even though the speedometer was out of warranty, for customer good will, they would replace it. Which they did. All went well until the odometer hit 600 miles, at which time, it stopped completely. A call to them got a response that several hundred bad odometers were somehow installed by mistake. This time they offered no compensation for their crap. I had other things to do, so just left it. Every once in a while, it would bounce around and and a few tenths of a mile. Four years later, and having driven the car all over the southwest, it now reads 700 miles and doesn't move at all. Old Stewart Warner is as dependable as Lassie, the new stuff are hole fillers! I talked to Classic Instruments at the GNRS and asked if I could send my poor quality Chickie Nakashuma copy Stewart Warner speedometer to them and have them put their guts into my case. He said that they could and could match fonts except that they couldn't use the SW logo. I said that was fine with me and could they use my initials DM and in the SW font. He said sure. So, this winter, my gypo modern Stewart Warner speedometer/hole filler is going to get a heart transplant! I used to swear by Stewart Warner, now I swear at them. Just to set the record straight, I have an OT 68 El Camino that my father bought brand new. He wanted gauges and not idiot lights so he bought a cheapo set and installed it. He was never happy with them. So, I convinced him into installing a set of Stewart Warner gauges. The car is 54 years old and the gauges are 52. The car now has 500k on it, been through 3 engines and transmissions, and the OLD Stewart Warner gauges are as accurate as the day they were installed. THAT, was Stewart Warner quality. Today, eh.

18. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like the old Sun 2-5/8" gauges. They had the best looking back lighting I ever saw in a gauge.

Has anybody ever used Marshall Gauges? I want to use the block mount gauges.

Sun Gauges.jpg

19. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

If you're building a regular catalogue street rod like most street rodders you just pick something pretty from a catalogue.
    However a hot rodder get some cool old school gauges from some cool old car, repair them and fit them into your cool old hot rod.

Just Gary likes this.
  20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Has somebody with a street rod hurt you in the past?

loudbang, joel and Dan Hay like this.
  21. I had a SW mechanical temp gauge not work right out of the box last week. I tested the replacement before installing.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  22. SW Deluxe.
    '80's vintage NOS speedo & new gas, temp, fuel & volts.
    20220404_203102~2.jpg

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a '40 Ford dash and am running a 71 Duster Speedo with the other gauges from a '85 Cutlass Supreme. The GM units don't need a voltage limiter. The only real cost was a fuel sending unit from J C Whitney. The Speedo predates the Canadian switch to metric but that just keeps it era correct. Dirt cheap and looks good.

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C81977E9-1DCC-46AE-A9AE-F54EE98F24C3.jpeg I’m kinda partial to what came in the car. Stock electric clock is mandatory for me. 60’s looking tachometers are nice too.

Elcohaulic, ffr1222k and kadillackid like this.
  25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

64 GP top factory gauges, 64 Bonneville Autometer mechanical gauges.

64 Grand Prix interior.. 1976.jpg Interior shifter.jpg

26. S/W White "Wings"... These have been flawless for 11 years... Maybe I just lucked out and got a good set
    Stan
    DSC01167 #3.JPG

27. I picked up some Datcon water temp, oil pressure and voltage gauges with senders at a swap meet for $25. Don't know if they work yet, but also bought a fuel gauge online to match them, so I'm into the set for about $60. Anyone have experience with these?

28. Cosmo49

Cosmo49