Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Clif Inman '57 Chrysler

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, May 4, 2022.

1. cabong

cabong

Most people must not be as curious as I... The '36 Chev short top PU was Joe's shop truck, and still had the name of the glass shop on the tailgate. It sported a 324 Olds and Cad LaSalle sideshift tranny. My wife bought it from Mrs. Wilhelm and drove it for several years before selling it to a lady in Germany. The car behind is a Nash coupe that was their family car for many years, 'till Joe's brother wrecked the front end. Joe jury-rigged a radiator support and headlight bar, and continued driving it 'till Mrs. Wilhelm lowered the boom. It was relegated to the shop. Along comes an old customer who has a 140 Jag and wants to customize the critter. Joe had an idea for the front, but didn't want to just hatchet that Jag. So, he takes the front clip off a LaSalle (probably where the tranny came from), sticks it on the Nash, and does the necessary changes to make it look how he wants the Jag to look. It met with his approval and the "Jaguar Royale" was born. People say it was not "pretty", but it was invited to Pebble Beach, not once, but twice.
    Now for the rest of the story..... I found that Nash sitting in a field outside Livermore, CA, bought it, and sold it to the same fellow who still owns the "Buzzbomb"...
    Are you following this??
    The Nash now lives in Nor Cal.....

Sancho, VANDENPLAS, drdave and 3 others like this.
  2. Yes its still around ... but it's not in Clif Inman's family.

In the summer of 1977, my father ("Deuce Bruce" Olson) and his friend (Gary "Goodguy" Meadors) were making frequent trips to the Fresno California Hot Rod shop of Pepper Snow & Ronnie White (Snow-White Ltd.) ... to shoot photos for magazine articles ... and to check on the progress of the Jag chassis going under our "Resto-Rod" '32 Roadster.

During one those visits to Fresno, Pepper & Ronnie mentioned to my father (who at the time was in the process of restoring two '57 Chrysler 300C Coupes & two '58 Chrysler 300D Coupes) that they knew where the Clif Inman (Joe Wilhelm built) '57 Chrysler was "hiding."

It wasn't long after that conversation that Ronnie & Pepper took my dad & Gary over to see my father's all-time favorite Custom! The owner of the vehicle offered to sell it to my father ... but for way more $$$ than my father's "car hobby budget" could afford (i.e., besides the four Chrysler 300 projects, we were also building the '32 Roadster & a Chopped '32 Tudor).

Fast forward several months later ... my dad was chatting with Rod (@RodP) Powell who had a client wanting to purchase a "milestone" custom. The client was film and record producer, William E. McEuen (famous for working with Steve Martin, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Paul "Pee Wee Herman" Reubens, etc.). Arrangements were made ... and a few weeks later, Mr. McEuen showed up at our Fremont, CA house with a "large stack of Benjamins" to have my father purchase the car for him ... and deliver the car to Rod's Salinas, CA shop to "freshen" it up.

The whole story is chronicled in my The Inman '57 Chrysler Custom album ... and in this chopped black 57 chrysler custom? thread from 2008.

As for the car's current whereabouts ... unless McEuen's estate (Bill passed away on September 24, 2020) has sold it, I assume its still collecting dust away in one of his Southern California warehouses :(

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I deleted my tangent on Joe Bailon as it was confusing folks by introducing another Joe to the conversation.... myself included...

But... my point is this... I think Joe WILHELM had a really good eye and was incredibly athletic in that he could build some crazy custom that makes no sense to me one year and then turn around and build the most refined line you can imagine...

Example 1... Mark Mist GT. I just don't get this car.

[​IMG]

Example 2... The Snyder '56. I'm not into the quads on this car, but otherwise it's hard to imagine a better looking tri-5.

[​IMG]

Example 3... The Wild Dream. Pure show rod... But even so, I like this car quite a bit... and apparently, it was fast as shit:

[​IMG]

At the end of the day though, Inman's Chrysler is his cover car in my book.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    40two, Sancho, SuperFleye and 7 others like this.
  4. cabong

cabong

Are you confusing Bailon and Wilhelm??
    Joe Wilhelm built and then rebuilt the Mark Mist. I brought the car out of storage and cleaned it up for Paso a number of years back. Say what you may about that puppy, but it was a true art creation. The inside was really wild and way ahead of it's time. It originally ran a SBC, but Joe was in the process of installing a nailhead when he quit working on it. The current owner has finished the Buick install, and has it ready to drive. It still carries the Wilhelm paint, which is pearl silver. It looks wierd because it was done in a hurry. He had painted it a dark purple, and Mrs. Wilhelm told him it was ugly. So, after being purple for less than a week, it was changed.
    The mark Mist had Jag suspension in the front, and a full belly pan.
    I took possession of the Mist just long enough to make a three way trade which got Kurt McKormick his Cad custom, Mrs. Wilhelm a new car, and a new owner for the Mist. I gota big thank you from all three, which was just fine....

Sancho, drdave, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I Love that 56. The quads make it work in my book.... I wonder if it survived?

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At first, I wasn't... I was comparing Bailon to Wilhelm... And then, I was... and I got so confused, that I deleted it all and started over. :)

7. The quads were available in 57 as well, but it was a mixed bag as in late 56/early 57 as some states still required single lights, but by late 1957 they all had the quads. The original fenders used to get the quad headlight metal on Taboo were out of a 57 300C

Sancho, Tman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. would be awesome if it did, or at least the nose is sitting somewhere. I can see someone putting a more stock nose back on the car at some point.

9. raaf

raaf

If it did - I think it would look great in your driveway! :)

Moriarity likes this.
  10. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Last I heard it’s still in a warehouse owned by a producer
    Movie/music I forget which one
    I’m friends with Clif Inman on Facebook he only has his
    Oakland Roadster show 1929 roadster survivor

Sancho likes this.
  11. belair

belair

"Talent based restraint" Always in short supply. A car for the ages.

12. Being the rebel that I am, I prefer this one.
    DSC_5941-4.jpg

13. See my POST above.

egads likes this.
  14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Coincidentally, I just pulled that Andy Southard book out a couple days ago and was going over the picture of this car. From the pictures I actually used to think it was a very dark blue :) It's difficult to photograph a true black car.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

That would be the Star and Bar on Bascom and San Carlos.

SuperFleye likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

‘it’s coming. :)

Gotgas, SuperFleye and Taboo56Chevy like this.
  17. Out of all his cars, this one (and this version) is my personal favorite. IIRC, it was restyled several times more but it did nothing to improve it.

You're just not enough of a custom guy Ryan.... LOL

18. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Very cool! Never too old to learn something new.....isn't it great?

19. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

You guys want another photo from Clif's collection?

[​IMG]
    This is the 1954 Olds Clif sold to buy the Chrysler. It featured mild custom work by a couple of local shops. Flyers Body Shop was one of them. Bondo Pete was another fellow, but Clif can't remember the name of his shop, just the nickname they had for him. I have some more info and photos on that one here: https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Clif_Inman's_1954_Oldsmobile

20. 392gogo

392gogo

The Wilhelm built Cliff Inman Chrysler was the inspiration to my "Cajun Queen" built in Sweden, some of the Chrysler concept builds from the coach builders at the Ghia factory in Turin, Italy inspired also.:)
    Norlin 2.jpg Norlin 3.jpg Norlin Kustom.jpg

Sancho, Rolleiflex, raaf and 11 others like this.
  21. 392gogo

392gogo

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is a really beautiful car! I've seen it online for years. Love the chopped '60-62 Chrysler roof.

Sancho, HEMI32, 392gogo and 1 other person like this.
  23. 392gogo

392gogo

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

nightshot (1).jpg

25. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

One of the best customs of all time. A custom should improve on the stock lines, clean and tasteful.