Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally My '26 Chevy Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Six Ball, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good! That shit gets awkward/ heavy quickly when your hanging it by yourself!

Six Ball likes this.
  2. Twisted6

Twisted6

If I did that, I may have less metal shelving racks, but most of them are up to the wall to start with So more than likely no Gain LOL

Six Ball likes this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Got more bad weather coming so I only bought one sheet today but got a few days worth of hardware to put up the rest of the furring strips on that wall & rehang the cabinets. Gonna' have to take some time to get other things done.

oliver westlund, TFoch and Tim like this.
  4. Twisted6

Twisted6

I should have some updated pics on the 4banger side cover after this wkend.

Six Ball likes this.
  5. Twisted6

Twisted6

A little more work to do yet but I just thought I would give a short update. 20220507_164120.jpg 20220507_164055.jpg

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That's lookin' nice Larry!

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool :)

Six Ball likes this.
  8. Twisted6

Twisted6

Thank you. I still have the gasket side to finish up. I am going to do another yet but a little different.
    20220508_113755.jpg

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I found this in a 1926 Chevrolet brochure. Maybe I could have a roadster & a roadster pickup. :)
    I have seen a lot of old coupes & roadsters with little pickup beds added & I know some were kits available from dealers but this is the first reference I've seen in a Chevrolet publication. I'd like to find a picture. It might be cool. This could be the reason for the difference in the '25 & '26 roadster body, deck lid, and long flat trunk floor. Sorry for the fuzzy image. It is hard to read but it says,"Large watertight storage compartment in rear. Lid may be removed and small delivery body mounted." The first El Camino!
    s-l1600 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  10. Twisted6

Twisted6

One has to love the (now Old school) talk about room to work on it.

Six Ball likes this.
  11. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Six Ball, here is what I found in "75 years of Chevrolet.

DSCN1101.JPG I am sure that the illustrations originally came from one of Chevrolets flyers.
    I hadn't thought about the full trunk lid, but this probably the reason for going to the flat trunk floor. I did not find any pictures of the 27, but in 28 they had the same setup, but moved the spare tire to the top of the box and inside the pickup bed, against the front wall. I shure would like to see a closeup of that pickup bed.

When I was in high school I would see a 36 coupe pickup go by every few months. By 36 the bed was all steel except the bottom. This one was stock with original paint and artillery wheels.
    Be safe and have fun!

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wow! Thanks, Makes me wonder? Someone sells a kit for a bed for a T. There were a lot of outfits making aftermarket body parts back then. As we know the Chevy open car bodies were not made by Fisher like the others. Even Ford had Briggs and maybe others. There were still wagon/carrage makers around it '26 looking for their piece of the auto industry. This is interesting. I like the big trunk of the '26 and the lid would come off by removing 4 screws.

13. Twisted6

Twisted6

Wow with the right up grades that would make a nice tow rig for my 64SSChevyII to the races.

Six Ball likes this.
  14. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

don’t listen to me...

I obviously don’t know what I’m talking about...

15. Twisted6

Twisted6

Hey Six Ball here is a up date on the 4cyl side cover.
    20220514_131230.jpg 20220514_130330.jpg

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^ That needs deeper fins and sandblasting to make it look a lot less 1992.

Six Ball likes this.
  17. Twisted6

Twisted6

1992 ? LOL The inset for the dist. needs to be a great deal , Then Most of the rest has to be cut out So that the off set stays for the dist. And the gasket area . But yes I can do the ball mill work a little differently Or just go with a plan endmill. This plate started life as a 1/2 plate. Doing Cast covers is Much different then doing from flat stock. When it comes to getting the dist. offset Or adding deeper fins if that would be the case. The dist. sits inside the lifter pocket more then one thinks. The thinnest plate I think I can get away with would be 3/8s And that will be pushing the limits for thickness in some areas. To me things were to thin when I did my buddy's 292 covers because it was only a 1/4 plate And some had already ground on them near the distributor. right at the edge where I had to make the pocket for the gasket. And the Boss mounts area on the same level as the gasket face So the same offset I do for the gasket I have to do for the boss with in reason So that it does not Over tighten on the gasket. So lets say I cut in 1/8 for the gasket I take out 1/16 for the boss, Now the there is a 1/16 pinch on the gasket with out going through the gasket. If I were have built this just off the Marine cover I would have needed a 5/8 plate. Because from the face of that cover to the rear of the dist. offset is 5/8 .

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1208.JPG My point was it looks really billet. You can change up the style of endmill and sand blast the finished product and it will have a nice cast look. These are chunks of 6" round stock, sand blasted the fins then poilished the tops.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I need a pair of those. The price of the old Chevy "pancake" air cleaners is ridiculous! I have a NOS pair of Cal Custom little air cleaners but I don't really like them. I may have ti fire up the mill.

20. Twisted6

Twisted6

I was kind of thinking of making some type of air filter top and bases. One of these years I will get my hands on a Lath. But yeah, I know what you mean by the sand blasting I had thought about blasting that one just for GP I sometimes like the brushed look I guess you could say. Hey off topic for a sec. What spots positions is the club looking for anyway? I should have just Emailed you that.

Six Ball likes this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Larry I'll answer that somewhere else.

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I sent my carbs away to get rebuilt today. I'll post pictures when they come back.

100_2414.jpg

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool! That’s going to be a slick set up

Six Ball likes this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's all been in the works so long I'm even learning for my old posts & pictures. :eek:

oliver westlund, brEad and Tim like this.
  25. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Its good to have the old pics and posts to refer to.

Six Ball likes this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Do it a lot lately lol

Six Ball likes this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The roadster & I are still alive! Sorta':rolleyes: I took a few evenings and read through this whole thing to remember what I was doing. :eek: I restored some pictures that had disappeared as well as I could. I also corrected MANY, but probably not all fat finger, spell check, & spelling mistakes. Thanks to Ryan for setting up this site so we can always go back and edit our post. It makes correcting mis-information much easier. I've been trying to restore pictures in some other threads too.

There is no major progress on the roadster or the shop but I'm working on an up date (a la J. Ukrop) with some progress, new parts, & questions. It's been a crazy Summer.:D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    brEad, Jet96, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  28. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Thanks for the "I'm still around" update! I understand well about crazy summers! Great to hear from you! Be safe, Have fun!

Six Ball likes this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wondered what You’d been up to!

Six Ball likes this.
  30. Twisted6

Twisted6

Glad to see an update, but we get sidetracked with different projects. Just keep going one at a time.

Six Ball likes this.