Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 OLDS firewall brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThisOneGoesTo11, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Hello,

I was all set to do the conversion : modify the airbox, use a kit, etc... then I would have a dual chamber master cylinder, then Scarebird (Mark) recommended against it.

To my knowledge the only guys who do that correctly consistently is White Post Resorations.

Not the easiest thing to do.

Anyone have experience or heard second/third hand anything about this "upgrade"?

All this started when I was going to do this swap and also get a Scarebird disc brake kit...

Thanks,

2. belair

belair

Look for an old thread by Sir Whoosh.

3. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

I made a bracket to mount a mustang dual master on my stock master location with a bracket and a jog in the push rod from the brake pedal. I could duplicate it all and sell it to ya for 250 shipped

4. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

I put a willwood residual valve and 3/16 line up front and a residual valve with a propositioning valve on the 1/4 line to the back thing stops on a dime

Attached Files:

5. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Only thing is I’d want you to send me your old push rod back so I can make another with the jog in it for the next job.

6. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Oh and these masters were the same on olds, Buick, Pontiac, and Cadillac. From 40-58 as far as my knowledge goes.

7. flatoz

flatoz

if you search up using my name I did it in a 55 Olds when I put the 455 in, took photos of what I did.

8. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

I’d rather bolt on a dual master in the stock location than have it out for you and everyone to see on the fire wall.

9. So, either dual master cylinder and no power brakes, or stock treadle vac single, Or !!! Firewall conversion that gets mixed reviews....I'm surprised the firewall conversion can be a sketchy mod....I would have thought it to be fairly straight forward once you get over the idea of hacking the stock airbox...

10. flatoz

flatoz

I'd recommend against scarebirds conversion. nothing but trouble my end and not much help from them. Again, if you search I did a thread on trying to sort it out. ended up being very expensive. I may have just got a dud one but I didn't get much love from scarebird either.

bobss396 likes this.
  11. flatoz

flatoz

12. flatoz

flatoz

Brake pedal I used was a * cough * Camry from the mid 90's it had the right bolt spacing. but from what I ready a 'G' body pedal assembly works well, we just don't have G body cars in the wreckers here. if I did it again, I wouldn't have worried on the bolt spacing so much as I could have just drilled holes or made a new mounting plate etc. Not sure why I didn't think of that would have saved me a few hours with a tape measure and my head under dashes.

brake pedal assembly.jpg

when bolted in the pedal was off so needed to be bent, not much.

brake pedal set up.jpg

how it ended up.

brake pedal done.jpg

13. Nice work flatoz! Now was this one of the kits, or all from scratch?

Flyin flattie, nice work there as well, like the dual chamber upgrade, but it's still under the floor = a pain to check the fluid...

14. flatoz

flatoz

All from scratch, but not difficult. I think speedway sell the booster/master cylinder setups. or as I said a lot of people have just used the whole G body booster/master/pedal assembly. Again, don't know what they are like as we don't have G body cars here.