Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Another "They are still out there" post

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jailhousebob, Apr 30, 2022.

1. I too would love to learn how you located it :)

2. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Man, that is nice, and I like your plan for it. Congrats

3. SPEC

SPEC

Great Find.

4. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

X3…..would love to hear the story

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. nice find, where are you located in Illinois, maybe bring it to Scrap Drive?

6. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

It will be at the Scrap Drive if i have time to go through it to the point that i feel it is safe and reliable enough. 3 years ago i broke down with my 32 5 window less than a mile away from the fairgrounds.Spent the rest of the day trying to get back on the road and eventually waiting for a flatbed to bring me home. Don't want to re-live that experience,lol.
    Thanks for the kind words, Bob

7. dwollam

dwollam

Nice! Takes me back to my high school days.

Dave

barrnone50 likes this.
  8. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

So i sold my 32 5/w a few weeks ago ( posted here about it leaving home) and was without an old Ford. A situation i'm not comfortable with as i have always had one or more at any given time for the last 40 or 50 years. Anyway, as i said, i had been looking for a 39 deluxe coupe to put a caddy in but all i was finding was old street rod projects with mustang front ends , bitchen firewalls and tweed interiors.Most were missing the cool art deco details that i always loved about these cars. Also some completely restored or over restored cars .Not really my thing.I had some friends putting out the word as well and had gotten a few leads but nothing i felt i wanted to move on. Anyway, i got a message from a very nice older gent (even older than me!) who was a life long Early ford enthusiast. He said he had an original paint 39 deluxe coupe that he was thinking of selling but not really sure.He provided his phone # and of course i called right away.He explained that the original owner became too old to drive in 1972 so he put the car in the garage where it stayed until he passed away.He purchased the car from the orig owners son,putting the car in storage again for another 10 years and never doing anything with it.Suffice to say that he had other old fords to drive and work on so this one was not on his short list.At this point he realized he most likely would not get to it and would consider selling. I was away visiting my son in South Carolina so i could not go see it as soon as i would have liked. He sent me a few pics which weren't great but good enough to make me want to see the car. I wanted to send him a deposit but he refused, promising to hold the car until i could come see it. I was a bit nervous for the following 2 weeks because i have lost out on cars under similar circumstances but to his credit he was as good as his word and held the car w/o advertising it or otherwise letting anyone else know it may be available . So a few days after returning home my wife and i made the 5 hour trip to look at the car. We went prepared to buy the car on the spot and bring it home.We spent a good portion of the day with the seller and his wife, both really nice people. At the end of the day we negotiated a fair price , loaded it up and brought it home. I won't reveal what i paid but it was less than most of the aborted street rod projects i had looked at and much less than the older restored cars that were available. I felt that i needed a bit of a cushion, pricewise, not really knowing what i may have to put into it and as you guys know nothing is cheap anymore.
    I know i will have a few more thousand into it by the time i give it some tires,shocks ,tune up parts,exhaust etc. Still, love the look and always excited to see a new one in the garage.
    Bob

Cooon, WilliD, 1940Willys and 18 others like this.
  9. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

Thanks for the story. Really good to know that it is still possible to come across people that still honor their word!! Seems to be very few people like that left! Different times I guess.
    Car is absolutely killer! I can only hope that someday I will come across one that good, if I’m patient long enough,…lol. Please keep us updated on progress! Love to see more as you go!

chryslerfan55 and Hamtown Al like this.
  10. Bob,...hope to see the 39 at our show,...hopefully you never break down again, but if you are ever broke down that close to our show again, get word to us Tin Butchers, I'm sure some of us could give you a hand., we've got tools, trailers, and a shop not far from the fairgrounds.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and Driver50x like this.
  11. Rand Man

Rand Man

Hard to go wrong with that one.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect project.
    Glad you're feeling better. :)

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Go ahead and do the 331 caddy, I did it to my 40 that had 40,000 actual miles on it and I never looked back. There is no such thing in my world as a car that is "too good" to make a hotrod out of 40ford1.JPG 40ford6.JPG

14. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I don't mean that it's "Too Good" to make a hot rod out of but that it has remained untouched for over 80 years. A true survivor, and i may not want to fundamentally change the character and vibe of the car.I won't repaint it either.Just a personal thing i guess. Yours is beautiful though and thanks for the input and pictures. Bob

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that's cool. Mine was 100% stock when I bought it, original engine, original interior and one repaint that was done in 1965 (I did not repaint it). There was zero cutting done to put the caddy in it and I suppose it could be put back easily enough, but as soon as I saw how wonderful it was with the cad in it I sold the original engine....

bowie, chryslerfan55, raven and 6 others like this.
  16. v8flat44

v8flat44

Very nice, happy 4 you .....

raven likes this.
  17. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Did you use motor mounts that mount to the original ford biscuit mounts? Did you retain the orig transmission ? would be interested in more details.Mine has the original split radiator so that would have to go.

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hurst mounts to the stock Ford biscuit mounts. Adapter by cragar to the stock trans with a scheiffer (sp) alum flywheel and s ford truck clutch. I closed off the 2 unused radiator outlets with rubber expanding plugs. Even though the cores are separated the tanks go full width. I did not cut or alter anything but I would never put it back. There are some difficult to find pieces needed though

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    chryslerfan55, Blues4U and Driver50x like this.
  19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Beautiful Score !

20. Driver50x

Driver50x

It is so cool to see one that original looking. Congrats and enjoy.

21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Congratulations Bob and looks super solid and awesome. My buddy Pete has a caddy in his 40 standard coupe with a original transmission. Pete is also local and you can take a look at it .

22. DrJekyllMrHyde

DrJekyllMrHyde

Very nice car you found there, congratulations on that!
    A pleasure to work on an untouched car as that, some stance and get it roadworthy, then you have the finest ride!!!

23. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

So are you only using half the radiator or do the full length tanks allow the entire core to be used even with one outlet and one inlet blocked? Did the aluminum flywheel come drilled for the ford clutch ? I have all the parts but can't locate the Hurst mounts. If i had a set to copy i could make some.
    Thanks for the info.Great car! Bob
    Thanks John

24. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Thanks Uffe, great to hear from you. How are your projects comming along?

25. Thanks for the back story. I thought all car guys kept their word. Good luck with your project, looks like a ton of potential to me.

26. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

My '39 Ford cpe.jpg Images of Bob Young's '39 Ford coupe powered by 331 Cadillac built while Bob while residing in Hillcrest NY and was a member of The Draggin Derbys Hot Rod Club ~ 1959 / 1960 . Bob enlisted in the USAF and while away he stored his coupe in a barn in Whitney Point,NY. Upon finishing training on the AGM-28 (Hound Dog) missile was then stationed at Eglin AFB , FL. Upon returning to the NY barn he determined, the engine's block cracked due to a lack of anti-freeze. Bob then flat-towed his coupe to FL , using hitch clamped to his '56 Ford's bumper. The Eglin AFB had a Hobby Shop where G.I.'s could work on their cars as did most bases. He removed the entire drive train and subsequently acquired a complete J-2 Oldsmobile engine, gear shift bell h'sg and flywheel + a '37 Cad-Lasalle trans. The orig torque rear axle and buggy spring was to be removed then replaced with open drive shaft and parallel springs. The J-2 engine and custom exhaust headers was installed but, Bob then sold all of it, he can't recall to Who ?? '39 with '50 Caddy motor.jpg

" THEY'RE STILL OUT THERE"

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  27. Very nice solid car and a great story on how you ended up with it.

I agree with your plan, get it reliable and safe first. Then some bolt on speed parts, some suspension lowering, and keeping the paint and interior as they are.

28. set me on fire

set me on fire

dang thats awsome!

29. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Nice car Bob,see you at the scrap drive!

continentaljohn likes this.
  30. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

continentaljohn likes this.