Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 Riviera Steering Wheel Interchange?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, May 1, 2022.

1. Mojo

Mojo

Anyone know what steering wheels interchange on 64 Riviera's?

Long story short, I'd like to get a 67-68 Skylark steering wheel, cut the two thin arms off, and have a single spoke steering wheel on my Riv. The large rectangular bottom spoke echos the console, I think it would look interesting. Will modify the plastic to fit.

I did some legwork by looking at Grant adapters, and the 64-66 Buick looks like a unicorn... doesn't share with any other years. Anyone know if that's the case?

Thanks for any info

2. 34Phil

34Phil

I checked. Same as Chevy #4181

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the splines and such are the same on most all the GM steering columns. the thing that is usually different is the apparatus for cancelling the turn signals

Bob Lowry and Johnny Gee like this.
  4. You'll also run into different wheel hub diameters, a smaller hub won't cover the column. I'd check to see if the turn switch will interchange between those models for further clues.

Bob Lowry and Moriarity like this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Does it have a tilt telescope column? That will give you a bit of difficulty if it is. Most GM splines are the same. The Rivera column is a large outside diameter If I remember correctly. As others have stated that may be the reason no kit was made.

6. Mojo

Mojo

It's a tilt column, I wish it had telescope too. I found some pics of a 68 Skylark wheel hub, I'll try to compare to the Riv wheel and see if the turn signal cancel will match. Completely forgot about that.

The hub diameter looks very close, hopefully enough I can cut the 68 hub down to match. I have a cracked up 64 Riv wheel, I can probably take some plastic away from and put on the 68 to match the hub. I was concerned about shaft differences after they went to collapsible columns. Think i'll pull the trigger on the wheel, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the pointers!

7. Mojo

Mojo

Anyone see any problems with cutting away the two thin spokes? I'm thinking the main bottom spoke is probably strong enough to hold the wheel from flexing too much. Always liked the steering wheels on the Citroen CX's, like to try an americanized custom version.

Attached Files:

8. SS327

SS327

Just make sure there is steel in the bottom spoke before you cut the other 2 away. I mean heavy rod and not flat sheetmetal. Warning, the rim may be awefully shakey then. You’ll have to keep a close eye on it. But I agree it would look kinda neat and kustom.