Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The "Whatever" project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave G in Gansevoort, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I know, let's swap it into your ot car! That'll get the mopar guys goats...

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Eureka! Got the new Marty Strode inspired seat mount designed, stock cut out, and bends laid out. Getting late and I make big mistakes when tired. So bend some tubing tomorrow and tack it all back together. I'll get pictures tomorrow as well...

3. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

I'm planning on a FiTech or Holley EFI system for the 400, maybe one of the classic gold looking ones, rated for 600HP or whatever... And after I drive it the first 100 miles or so, I might just decide the power band is higher than I really want it.... but that's all in the future. I need a chassis first, otherwise I'm just making noises in the garage!

I did have my eye on a 383 several years back.... that would squeeze in ok, and be more than enough (is there really such a thing?!) engine for that particular fish. No, I think it will stay with the current warmed-over 273. I've toyed with adding EFI to it, but that's at least $1k right there, and I think I need to spend that on body and paint first. It's no fun when you're car rusts out from underneath you!

4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So true! Rust never sleeps...

5. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Dave,
    I think I have a early T10 tail housing laying around here. Do you still need one?
    I was going to put a Muncie 4 speed in my Track T. My body is one piece and the side linkage got tied up with the floor. Marty warned me about putting 3 pedals in. I went with first, the Muncie, then a T56 then to a S10 5 speed (knew I would break that) and now a T5Z trans. I can reduce the tunnel some to get throttle pedal space.
    Let me know if you still need the tail housing, I may have other parts left over from a 63 T10 too.

6. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave, since you are a Berkshire County boy and John Turner approved, I'll give you a good deal on a low mileage (by low mileage, I mean I never got better than 7.5 mpg with it on my 383 stroker sbc in my El Camino) Holley 750 double pumper that's been sitting on a shelf in my shop for twenty years. It doesn't have many miles on it, but as they say, it might need a kit.

vic (charter member of the John Turner Fan Club)

7. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the offer on the tail housing. However I was able to get a complete case minus the guts a couple of weeks ago. A mainshaft however, is still missing. And the reverse gear parts. I have the rest. Let me know if you have one to spare.

8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks. I'm still planning on a mild 327. I'm going to have Jack Boyd build it for me. 462 heads, 1st generation Torquer manifold, 650 Holley, and parts left over from a certain 400 engine. Gaerte gear drive for the cam, small diameter Fluidamper, Stewart performance short water pump, and a few other odds and ends if Jack will agree.

Mainly I want to use one of the Vertex magnetos I have. He's threatened to throw both in the garbage when I'm not around. Hydraulic roller cam, roller rockers, and Corvette valve covers, probably requiring Moroso spacers.

Yeah, I have a plan. Shouldn't cost too much...

Tman and ratrodrodder like this.
  9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Didn't get to any car parts today. Made a roll around stand for the tube bender to get it off of the welding bench. Not quite done, I have to remove the tubing bender from the bench and move it's mounting bracket from the bench to the new stand. Fortunately it has been converted to air over hydraulic power, so it doesn't need to be bolted down to anything.

Being lazy, I'm going to remove the tubing bender without taking it apart. I'm planning to pick it up with the engine hoist. Then cut the bracket off the bench and weld it to the new stand. Once reassembled I'll try it out on the Whatever project's seat framework... unless I take a ride to a friend's shop to see his 37 flatback going together.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And a good plan it is, long live the 327!

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

It's going on 20 years since the last time I assembled one myself. I'm flip flopping on whether or not to do it myself or have Jack do the whole shooting match.

I've got all the tools, final measuring and cleaning are actually the easy part. Jack still has to do the hard part.

12. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I do have extra trans parts. I dug the stuff out today, looks like I have one tail housing dated 62 no main cases but guts for two transmissions. However, the one main shaft has twisted splines. I will get you some pictures. I have no need for these parts anymore, better to go to a good place!

13. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks. Yes please, post a picture or two of the parts. Once I get the good workbench clean, I plan on disassembling the shorty T10 to get a better idea of what is needed to make it whole again. In the meantime, I'll put the empty case in for a test fit.

Later today I've got to bend some tubing and finish the seat base. I keep moving towards getting the steering column mounted, but I keep getting sidetracked and never seem to get a round tuit.

It's a circular process. One step leads to at least two more. Before you know it you've taken 3 or 4 unanticipated turns and still haven't gotten to the steering column!

I don't know how Marty Strode and many other people get their multiple projects done! I'm having a tough time getting one done...

14. I am having a tough time getting one started!

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  15. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have just the valve covers you need - they are currently on my 383 and might be a tad expensive, since they're not too common, at least with Darrell Waltrip Racing on them. We ran them on the 15* Pontiac heads on the Chevy engines we used in qualifying back when changing engines after qualifying was legal. But I'm sure they'll cover your roller rockers without spacers (less leakage potential) and have valvetrain oiling built in as a bonus. Sitting on my AFR190s they make people scratch their heads as the tops are somewhat parallel to the ground giving more of a nailhead vibe. I've also got a 650 on the shelf.

vic

16. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Dave, see anything in this pile of parts you can use? This is mostly 62 to 63 parts from a old Corvette. T10 parts.jpg

17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Why yes I do! Both main shafts, the reverse gear parts and the tailhousing. I'll pm you to determine the wherewithals. Thanks

I've checked the numbers on the shorty transmission, and it could have been a corvette one, probably not, but I don't know what other cars from 62 would have a 2.20 low transmission.

18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Remember that I mentioned misbending some tubing previously? Well they came in handy for braces for the tube bender stand. DSCN1382.JPG That's them, the curvy tubes on either side of the main column. So not wasted. Now I'll get back to the Whatever project and finish up on the seat mounts.

Atwater Mike, ratrodrodder and brEad like this.
  19. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Well aren't you clever! Looks like it could use a little paint, though...

Atwater Mike likes this.
  20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Next time you're here, there's a paint brush with your name on it...

Have I ever told you just how much I hate painting? Besides rust is a nice color!

ffr1222k likes this.
  21. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

If we time it right, we can get two coats on in one day! What color(s) are you preferable to: Petty Blue? Hi-Vis Yellow? Go Mango? I'll even bring my own stir stick!

22. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Gray! Or black! I tried white on the engine stand. It kept it from rusting, but impossible to get clean. Got a gallon mostly of both.

23. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

24. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Made a bit of progress on the seat mount today.
    DSCN1395.JPG It's so nice to use the tubing bender now. First attempt at the base tube and I hit it spot on. I was pleased to say the least. I guess paying attention to all of you real fabricating experts is paying off.

DSCN1396.JPG It looks like 2 people might actually be able to ride in it together. Now to make a couple of supports from the frame to the bottom of the seat support.
    DSCN1398.JPG Plenty of room under here. Should be a piece of cake tomorrow...But we all know what that means...

25. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Got the seat mount together today.
    Here it is. DSCN1403.JPG Not a copy of Marty's system, but inspired by it.
    DSCN1402.JPG The flat part of the seat bottoms are fully supported and there will be tabs like Marty showed to bolt the seats in place. 4 button head screws per seat. Eventually when they get upholstered, the bolt heads will be covered.
    DSCN1400.JPG DSCN1399.JPG And it looks like 2 people might actually be able to ride in it together without 1 being 98 pounds soaking wet!

Tomorrow the steering column support finally!

26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So here's a question for everyone: has anyone used Schroth DOT legal harness belts in any type of vehicle? I don't want race car harnesses, but want more than a typical 2 or 3 point seat belt. The tuner car kids use these or cheap knock offs, but I'm not holding that against them. I remember a friend had them in an ot 88 5 liter 5 speed and they were really nice fitting in that application. I can make support bars for the belts to wrap over/around, so fitting isn't a problem.

Let me know your opinions and recommendations. Thanks...

27. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Dave, is that a quick release steering wheel? If so is it tight or have some flop in it. All the ones I looked at felt loose. I guess just play in the splines.

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Yes it's a Speedway Motors quick release for race cars. It's a hex not spline, so you have to be careful to get everything lined up before welding, otherwise it means redrilling the steering wheel to get it straight.

It's not bad slop-wise, but there is some play. I haven't used this one yet so total play at the rim is just a guess. If it ends up bottering me, I figure I'll get one from Ididit, as they are manufacturing Schroeder's line of quick releases, which are much tighter, but also $$$$$$. My steering column came out of a 1972 Austin Mini, and I had to make up the inner shaft anyway, so making a new one would be easy. It's just a short section of double D at the bottom, turned round to fit into 3/16 wall 3/4-inch od dom tubing. The hex was then pressed onto the tubing and tig welded on both ends to that tube. A 1/4 inch steel pin was inserted thru the rounded portion of the hex part, and the inner tubing, and tiged as well.

Hey I'm an enginerd by training. We alwas believe in safety factors. Or as one proffesor said "Belt, Suspenders, and a skyhook to hold up your pants!"

29. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I don't remember the one in our race car being sloppy, I do think it was a hex not splines. I looked at some here and they were to loose for me.

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I'm hoping that it's tight as it feels like a good fit so far. I've already had it off and on probably more times than if it was in a race car. If it's worn a little bit by the time I finish the Whatever, well that's on me. I have to take it off every time I try the seating position and the controls. And yes I do the vroom vroom noises sometimes. Hey why not, I'm usually all alone in my shop...

BTW in the mail... it's a race to see which direction the postal service is faster in. Okay so I'm racing a super light weight...