Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel ID please :(

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyric30, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Cyric30

Cyric30
    from AR

Hello All

you know how you see somthing every day without really seeing it.?
    thats the story here, this trailer hasent moved in at least 40 years im told. and ive passed it at least once a day for most of my life :)

So what are these wheels.? the bed may not be the same as the wheels so be wared about that :)....
    im thinking early model ford maybe 40s.? but i am just giving it a SWAG. Just looking or somthing to fit my Model A Spindles and Well tadda 40 YEARS of setting to be used again possibly, would make a cool story
    Anyway,...if any you folks can give me a good ID ..also whats the bolt pattern on them if there ford? same as 70-80s model ford trucks or diffrent.?

Sorry to ramble im just really getting fired to finly start my project :)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Cyric30/PICT0009.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Cyric30/PICT0010.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Cyric30/PICT0014.jpg

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

They look like Ford wires, and one has a Ford hubcap...they'd be 5 on 5 1/2, like later pickup. They won't necessarily fit all drums with that pattern.

3. Frank

Frank

I knew a guy who had stacks of rims and asked him how to tell them apart. Aside from the bolt pattern the spokes looked the same. He said the Ford wheels will have the spokes welded where they enter the rims which is what it looks like in your pictures. Also, the bolt pattern should be 5 x 5 1/2" same as later Ford trucks, but they will not bolt over the drums. Gotta use a spacer.

4. Andy

Andy

I would say '35 Ford 16" wires. The cap is 35 Ford and the trailer looks like '35 too. 5x5.5 and 3.5 wide.
    Probably still has the desirable 35-36 rear radius rods!!!

5. alchemy

alchemy

Those kind of wheels are not rare or pricey, so check them out before buying. I spotted at least one bent spoke, and see a lot of rust. Good ones aren't hard to find at the swap meets. I see them for under $40 each all the time.

6. dangeroustoy

dangeroustoy

Hard to be for sure from those photos, but they look to be 33-34 Ford Wires...

You can tell by the angle of the valve stem sticking out... 1935 wires will look the same but the stem will be flush on the rim ring... You should note that all the Ford factory 1932-1935 wire wheels will look similar but are different sizes... The 32 wheel is 18" while the 33-34 wheel is 17" and the 35 wheel is 16" all have the same bolt pattern of 5 on 5.5... The width is the same on the 32-33-34 at 3.25" but the 1935 wheels are 4" wide. Like alchemy said you can find these very reasonably on eBay or at your local swap meet.

Hope this helps...

Dave Brisco

7. Cyric30

Cyric30
    from AR

Hay Alchemy :)

i'll definitly will inspect them very well if i decide to use them, But there Free so if i can use them i most likly will :) as long as it safe to do so :)

Thank you all for your input :)

Cyric

8. Yep, I would have to agree 35' Ford wires. Attached is a picture of mine all done up in red.

Attached Files:

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

What size is the tire????

10. Cyric30

Cyric30
    from AR

they are 16s :)
    So Acording to Danderoustoys info that would make them 35 year model :)...Man this is what i love about HAMB :)