Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6 cylinder version of Buick straight-8 used in Australia?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Brown 666, Apr 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

I havent started on a linkage set up yet and the fb ek forum has been a great help thanks!

2. karl share

karl share

I have used hardened steel straight cut timing gears from a clark forklift on a grey motor i built when i was an apprentice,as the forklift ran its hyd pump of the timing chest no timing gear worries then. Also used a canadian cast block bored out to suit 149 red motor pistons, block decked to suit, pistons pin bored to suit mark 3 zephyr gudgeons then pins are a press fit into small end of rods, all ballanced up with a waggot cam :)

Spoggie and firstinsteele like this.
  3. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

It's a grey motor right-of-passage to get stuck out the back of nowhere, cursing the stripped fibre timing gear :(

Cheers,
    Harv

Spoggie and bowlingball like this.
  4. karl share

karl share

was driving from melbourne to wangaratta up the hume made it to benalla, stripped fibre gear, never again :mad:

Spoggie likes this.
  5. Stonemad

Stonemad

Hi. The Holden grey motor is not based on the Buick straight eight. It's a version of a Vauxhall six. Built in England starting in 1951/2 or so. We got the engine first in 1948, then Vauxhall in 1951/2. Vauxhall is another GM subsidiary so the engines were probably part of the same development program. Same bore spacing, uses the same pistons, can swap the same crankshaft. 138 c.u./ 2262 cc The main difference is that Australia got a 7 port head and the UK got a 9 port head, then later a 12 port head. More than a few racers used those heads on grey motors. Strangely enough, the Vauxhall version eventually was taken out to 202 c.u. Same power output as the Holden 202 red motor, much smoother engine, 12 port heads vs 9 port on the red motor.

6. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Interesting. The Vauxhall crank is a (relatively) common swap into older racing Holdens. I have not seen a Vauxhall 9 or 12 port head on a grey, or any legends of it having been done.

Any pictures please of a grey running the Vauxhall heads?

Cheers,
    Harv

7. Stonemad

Stonemad

Hi Harv, I have a YouTube link. :) Sorry about the slow reply, don't spend a lot of time here. For what its worth, if you are looking for new grey motor pistons, they are also listed as fitting the Vauxhall six

8. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Now that is cool :cool:

That poor Strommie looks lonely though :D

Cheers,
    Harv

Spoggie likes this.
  9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

All the Opel talk about GM owning them since 1931 and the blitz truck similarity to the Holden 6 made me do some research into general motors involvement as well as Fords into WW2 ownership of said plants in Germany. It's very interesting , both Ford and Gm received millions in reparations from the Allies for the factories being bombed by the Allies .....