Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Resisting Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stanlow69, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

As time marches on. I find myself one of the last one to change. I posted the picture found in a mini How-Too booklet on electrifying your home and farm. It`s dated 1947. Everybody seems to be on a cordless battery powered tool kick. I still use air powered tools. Mustang II is not for me. Comfy bucket seats with built in seatbelts. Not. This thread will get deleted soon. But list the old habits you can`t bring yourself to change to meet this modern world we live in. I still use a flip phone that is turned off unless I leave town. Still use a laptop when on the HAMB. Still use a landline for my business as well as for my home line. I have never been on Facebook and don`t have an E-Mail. I just use my wife`s. And yes, my 125-year-old house does have electricity. Love the HAMB the way it is with the rules that are in place. IMG_20220430_0001.jpg Lately, I have been gathering parts for a car build I saw when I was 10 years old. IMG_20220430_0002.jpg

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thankfully toilet paper was invented. :D

I still use conventional oil in my old cars/ trucks.
    None of this synthetic blend or synthetic stuff.

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You don`t have a duvet toilet. I know I don`t.

Blue One likes this.
  4. Not on Facebook
    Don't text
    Flip Phone
    My word still means something
    Still believe in the Golden Rule
    I've always said, "it's a good thing we don't live forever..we wouldn't be able to handle all the changes".

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Stanlow69, I'm with you. I stay off FB and all the other ones, flip phone is on only when I break
    down in my hot rod, liked it when the kids could sleep on the floor boards of the car or in the
    rear window shelf, drive-in movies, etc. Here's an ad to get radio transmissions on the cheap.
    Pretty cool....

windcharger (2).jpg

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I still pay in cash. In person at least.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I still use maps. IMG_20220430_0003.jpg

Cosmo49, Glitchy, Kan Kustom and 20 others like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got my old ways, too. I have accepted the modern computer driven world, but don't have any touch screens except my phone, which I have to use in my business. I still use dino oil myself. Had a points distributor in my car at first, but it had a warped shaft, so I had to replace it with a cheap small cap HEI for now. It'll get another points one when the HEI dies.
    I run 15" tires on my old car, no rubber bands for me. I do have a couple of battery tools that I use, but a drawer full of still good air tools, too. My creeper is a piece of cardboard. My shop AC is a discarded floor fan.

9. Absolutely, positively will NEVER be on Facebook. I still have points in my 1950 Chevy 3100. My trucks and equipment still has conventional oil in them. My word is my bond. We still go to a small country church where our Pastor knows everyone by name. I work from sun up to sun down six days a week.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My fork goes on the left.

My creeper is from the 40s.

I probably won't high five you.
    Sure won't fist-bump you.
    I'll shake your hand.

I took care of 92 year old Lee and Norma until their passing. They told me some pretty cool stories. Decades and decades ago, the electric company was running power lines down their road. Everybody had to agree to purchase... and more importantly, to use... an electric stove.

OG lil E, Driver50x, AHotRod and 10 others like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That disappearing as well. Cash has alway’s been King but now it seems Big Brother wants too See when one spends it.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No cell phone here... all my old cars use ignition points, carburetors and bias ply tires. No facebook for me, I was on there for a little while a long time ago, that place is a shithole... never again

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember the old-style push-button wall switches?
    CLUNK.
    I like those. Used to still see them in some of the old buildings. Haven't seen any for years.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite a few years ago, my wife and I had an antique candlestick phone hooked up. We used it. Sounded kind of tinny. Pretty cool.

I tried flipping the lever a bunch of times to get the operator's attention. Mabel! Mabel! It didn't work.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Windchargers, glass batteries and Delco generators. Man what a life. :confused:

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

Sounds like I would get along well with all you folks ^^^^ !

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the things I long suspected to be true, and has been proven out through knowing you guys...
    Many hot-rodders don't like just old cars... they like lots of old stuff. Maybe all the old stuff.

18. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

When cash goes away, and they will get rid of it, you will have absolutely no recourse about paying service charges to spend your money, which the bank has and you do not! Think on that bit.

19. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Most likely before cash is eradicated, you will find yourself required to pay a service charge to use it.

20. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I know! I’m just filled to the the brim with warmth and happiness. : )

21. williebill

williebill

I'm in agreement with all of the posts. Only modern thing in my garage is my wireless headphones. The TV died from too much grinding dust long ago, so it's radio only. No wireless tools for me, I just trip over all the extension cords.
    One day, my girlfriend of almost 10 years complained " You only like old stuff!"
    I said, well, guess you're right, after all, you're still here.

22. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

Static dropped kustoms.

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I still buy 100 stamps at a time.

Ralphies54, OG lil E, AHotRod and 9 others like this.
  24. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I had to carry a Motorola radio when I was still working. It was like having a long leash around my neck. I ditched it and every other phone except our home landline. I lost interest in having the latest sound system and most other new gadgets that I can live without too.

There are a few things I have embraced, such as navigation systems, the internet, online banking and any other service such as Amazon, where I can get what I need without leaving the house. We have 3 big screen TVs in the house, modern climate control system, security system etc. so I guess I like the modern conveniences with the exception of being tied to a phone mostly. I've never texted anyone and don't do Facebook or any other social site other than visiting and sharing my thoughts on the Hamb. Today, there is no better way to keep a finger on the pulse of traditional hot rodding even though most cars I build are not locked into the Hamb timeframe, which I totally respect while here.
    I have always been an info geek when it comes to new technology or scientific discovery, liking to stay informed but also love to learn all I can about the past.
    I like my old cars but still need a luxury auto to accommodate the better half who in every aspect is more in tune to the finer things in life than me but also a slave to her phone.

OG lil E, AHotRod, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  25. twenty8

twenty8

Advancements in the modern world are not all bad, and not everything we have had in the past is worth preserving.
    Best strategy is to keep up where you need to. Getting left behind can make life hard to navigate.
    The real skill is being able to separate the diamonds from the dog shit..........

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  26. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Multiple carburetors, manual transmissions, and hard work

Cosmo49, OG lil E, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  27. Truckedup

Truckedup

I do have or do use some modern stuff and I do have a smart phone ... In my opinion to say you resist change but yet use a Chinese made computer to access the internet , well, are right in the mix...

Cosmo49, treeman53, OG lil E and 5 others like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The reason I have a Chinese computer is because I gave my kids the option 12 years ago. Internet of cable TV. That`s when I joined the HAMB.

OG lil E, hrm2k and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  29. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't stand electric cars they will drag me kicking and screaming into one of those pieces of shit. I'm not on facebook, don't like todays music, my newest vehicle is a 2000 f150 you get the point.

Ralphies54, OG lil E, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  30. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My junk is all old house finished in 1898, my vehicles are 58, 44 and 14 years old , ive got tools I made in the seventies the rest are very experienced. So yes I love my old stuff but you just can’t pass on a new younger woman…

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    OG lil E, AHotRod, Blue One and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.