Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead help requested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RB35, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Been a while since I've posted anything here and I need a bit of advice. Just got my 8BA back from the machinist and want to put on a pair of older 59A Edelbrock heads. I have Frank Oddo's book and know where to plug the water holes. The book calls for 1/8" hole plugs in the block, but my block has 1/2" holes. A 1/4" pipe plug tap uses a 7/16" bit which could work with epoxy, but the exhaust port passage is right below the hole so the tap bottoms out prior to catching the deck surface.
    I noticed that this hole to be plugged is the water pump bypass hole only, no other connection to the waterjacket in the block.
    Thinking, if I plug the passage behind the water pump instead of the deck, wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? The passage is deep enough for the tap to work. It will leave only one exposed hole to be filled, but that's no issue.
    Has anyone else run across this?
    Thank you for your assistance.
    RB 20220429_115640.jpg 20220429_115649.jpg

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Checks @Mart 's latest garage video as he preps an 8BA for Pendine. He always has some practical, real world fixes for us flathead guys.

3. dwollam

dwollam

I tapped and plugged both on mine.

Dave

big duece likes this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would like to know as well, I have a French block with earlier heads picked out.

5. RB35 ,
    You will have to sacrifice a tap if it is bottoming out early .
    Some pipe taps have a fairly long lead in ,,,some are very blunt ,,,,,it depends on the manufacturer .
    You can mark it and shorten as needed ,,,,besides,,,It will probably still be okay to use later,,,,after you shorten it .

The deck holes in my 8CM block are identical to the ones in your pic .

Tommy

rusty valley likes this.
  6. Thanks to all!
    I'll look for the stubby tap first or modify the one I have. So I cut down the one I had and did the deed. I'm going to plug both on the deck and behind the water pump as it isn't a real tight fit for the plug. Will use lots of sealant on the plugs and let it set up.

7. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I wanted the 59AB heads and short water pumps for fit/looks and the 8BA modern style distributor. Discarded helmut style distributor and timing cover. Changed oil pump drive at rear of cam and used a Chevy distributor with the point adjust window in the cap. This got rid of the awful Ford Loadamatic dizzy and makes timing a snap. Used the 59AB plug wire tubular looms instead of the can of worms 8BA set up. Fabbed up an alternator mount. Made a decent looking set up for a closed hood truck.
    8BA TC cover with Chevy distributor hold down pad:
    IMG_4087.JPG

Chevy dist with 8BA drive gear:
    IMG_4088.JPG
    Dizzy in and coil mount:
    IMG_4094.JPG
    Front alternator mount:
    IMG_4093.JPG
    Rear alt adjust bracket:
    IMG_4091.JPG

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Nice work. Just a few thoughts.

Will your fan belt be rubbing on the bottom of the distributor as the belt it flexes?
    I don't think you will need that rear alternator adjust bracket as the alternator adjusts from the front by moving the alternator bracket upward and then tightening the nut on the intake stud. Plus, the weight of the alternator is on the front bolt which stops it from moving.
    When I installed early heads on my 8BA block I did not block off that top water pump circulation hole. I used an NPT plug in the block. Read about the reason why here:
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278985

Read more info. here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...0j33i299l2.13425j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  9. It looks like blocking it off behind the pump or on the top of the block it accomplishes the same thing. It's a short passage between the pump and through the block to the head. It doesn't go anywhere else on my block.

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

I think the whole point of using the old style heads is for the old style look, so why not use a crab dizzy and get rid of the funny looking dizzy that dont belong on a flathead ford. The crab is a very accurate dual point dizzy designed by mallory, and keeps the front of the motor nice and neat and allows for more clearance than the the 8ba style. I believe its an inch ana half shorter in overall length when using the crab

alchemy likes this.