Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938,39,40 Sloper Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by X38, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Thats a 41 zephyr club coupe with a great roof chop,enjoying your build x38. johnny

2. The one at DD is one of these, a 37 'coupe sedan.' (which is also what Ford Australia called slopers.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    brEad, Hnstray, 40two and 5 others like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Overloaded yesterday… must have been the weather.

4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

That's a beautiful car. I didn't realise that there were Coupe/Sedans - slopers anywhere else. I guess the fast back fleetlines fit but they were much later...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Oh @X38 your car is coming along very well!

X38 likes this.
  6. It’s time to wrestle the angry octopus, otherwise known as the front sheet metal! I have many repairs to do to the fenders – splits, cracks, old repairs, remaking sections of lips etc. But in the mean time I couldn’t resist a quick mock up if for no other reason to see how the new tyres fit the fenders. I also tried another wheel cover option. Not fully pushed on though, you know what a shit they can be to get off, so I’ll wait a bit longer before making that commitment.
    Sloper front mock 2 13.2.JPG

Sloper mock rear 13.2.JPG

7. alchemy

alchemy

Uh, bring back the custom grille, please. And I think I prefer those smooth wheelcovers with the crest in the middle. Would look more "1948" to me.

chryslerfan55, hfh, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  8. If there was a "like the shit out of that!" button that could be pushed multiple times...I'd be bangin' on the keyboard like a teenager poundin' his pecker!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  9. It's coming, but you know, the mundane repairs need to be done first. This front sheet metal has only ever been loosely hung, now I need to make it fit. There's quite a difference and I want to be happy with that before I tackle the grille deal. There are a lot of pieces that need to play nice with each other and some aren't too friendly at the moment.

I appreciate the enthusiasm...just don't go blind.;)

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D great response!

Stogy, SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I've always thought a 37 deluxe or 38 standard front would make a sloper look like a Lincoln zephyr , it would be so dam cool ,

Spoggie likes this.
  12. What does a Mercury coupe have to do with this thread about customizing an Aussie car?

Tman, 50Fraud and X38 like this.
  13. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I missed the post about your custom grille. Would you mind reposting?

14. Yeah, that's a total WTF!?!

15. Okay, wheel cover option 'B' for the brains trust to contemplate.
    [​IMG]

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bit of a slip of there mate, you seem to be looking for a brain trust and you posted on the HAMB in error.
    But since you did, it's round and shiny and looks good with the wide blue walls, so I dig it!

SS327, itsmee, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  17. I should have said @alchemy. Hey, I did say contemplate.;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha, ha...WAIT A TIC! I feel slighted.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Cutting out a manky bit where the fender meets the cowl. Also trimming for fit (as usual, ugh.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits good now and the cowl isn’t quite ad bad as it looks in the pic. Still needs some work at the bottom.
    cowl-fender join.jpg

Elmo Rodge, hfh, mgtstumpy and 9 others like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, those caps are better, and the grille snuck in there looks good too. Keep up the good work.

brEad and X38 like this.
  21. I had to make that exact repair to my front fenders. Mine also had the previously brazed repair, though on mine the previous repair had also cracked. Must be traditional.

22. Indeed! This hole was split before I started and two other places are also split up to the fold, you can see one above the clamp at the top of the pic. I wanted to get the thing bolted on to make sure the fender shape was okay before welding them up.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Stogy, Outback, Hnstray and 1 other person like this.
  23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

@X38 it's looking great mate!

Stogy likes this.
  24. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Do people jump up an down on the fenders as my 36 has the same problem. Just damn

25. I ran out of gas.

Outback likes this.
  26. Sorry for the delay guys, I've been side tracked, but I have done some work on the car. Picking up where I left off, I had to address the running board to fender meeting point, which had issues. I fixed that and bolted it all together and things were starting to look okay. Fender still needs wheel arch and straightening work, but it's within reach now.
    IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3184 crop.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

Now to the other side...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Stogy, Tman, Hnstray and 15 others like this.
  27. The fender I've been working on was shaped pretty well, but the crown had pinholes like a stary night sky. This side, the metal is okay, but man, is it beat out of shape! After blasting (which also removed old filler) it's very obvious that it's had accident damage and repairs as well as splits welded up. Some examples:
    IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3152 crop.JPG

Yep, she's pretty rough.

28. Follow along as I attempt to do something about the trail of misery using cardboard, some hammers and a welder.
    First up, the shape at the rear was way out of whack. In fact, the line of the fender at the cowl side was way below the bolt hole. I'll tackle that first.
    IMG_3154.JPG

Stogy, 40LUV, brEad and 14 others like this.
  29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I like what you are doing.
    Thanks,

jim

Stogy and X38 like this.
  30. You are a brave man Tony!