Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***April 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Don't Be Fooled by 5***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2022.

1. raaf

raaf

Thanks @29 Speedster!

Out for some fun today...
    IMG_3528.jpg

2. callcoy

callcoy

John
    I am gathering info at this stage and your input has been great, I have a modified cast iron cover that has a oil pump on it. I am going to try to go old school with this engine project, that front cover of yours is beautiful but not for this future project. I am doing an engine for my son that will have some bling, he wanted a fined head, side cover and etc., he has stainless hoses and etc. I have two other engines for me before the OHV project, both one with a Thomas head, intake and headers that I made, the other will be a Silberstein flat head that I will modify.
    Thanks Again
    Steve

Outback likes this.
  3. callcoy

callcoy

Took The A for a drive
    Got a call from a gentleman who needed a Model A for his Wedding yesterday in Printers Alley, down in the Honky Tonk area old town. Printers Alley is where at all happened years ago, it is actually a alley, no vehicles allowed, is the place to visit if you are in town, but somehow the A stayed parked for 3 hours.
    We all wore period correct clothes, the Wedding took place in front of the A, the bar next to where I parked kept my wife and I supplied with beverages no charge. Hundreds of people filed by, many had to take there own photos. We had a blast!
    Steve

Jet96, Outback and 29 Speedster like this.
  4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Drove my all over Austin Tx for the Roundup... No pics at the show but here are 2 on opposite ends of town on the same day... Alot of people amazed by the banger and tons of great comments and love.

ROUNDUP05.jpg ROUNDUP02.jpg

5. Got my Dual 81's and header on the B motor. It fires right up, bu there are 2 issues. One my B header from reds has the outlet pointed right at the k member. Is this for a B moptor in an A? is there one for a B motor in a 32 frame? (yes, going to call them, but thought I would survey here as well). Also went for a road test, ran great for 1.25 miles then flat out quit, tried to restart and it would pop for a second then nothing. Fotunantely do to good planning on my part, I could coast all the way home. I am running a stock B fuel Pump, seems like it was keeping up. Went out this morning and it started up and ran into the garage. Thoughts? Stock distributer as well.

6. brjnelson

brjnelson

Burl and I went to a tractor swap meet and I got this old 4 cyl Mallory it’s painted John Deere Green has a coupling to be driven.
    John I know that the distributor will twice the speed but can’t I just have it spark every time the Pistons TDC just like my Harley in my triumph motorcycle do? I’m thinking all I would need to do is change the springs on the weights. And of course I need to use a distributor that can handle 6000 RPMs. It’s a good thing I have a distributor machine.

Attached Files:

Jet96, Outback and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  7. brjnelson

brjnelson

Governor from an model A-compressor

Attached Files:

Outback and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  8. BRJ,
    it is not about speed, it is about position, well and speed, the points will need some attention to prevent floating too.
    But, back to basics, crank has basically two TDC positions (1&4 and 2&3 stock config)
    If the dist runs 1:1 with crank, then both 1&4 fire together and 2&3 together in a wasted spark configuration as the Harley. The other two positions in the dist are not used. This has been attempted before, not with much luck.
    But, if you use a 90 deg V8 crank.....J

brjnelson likes this.
  9. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Checking in. Better late than never, I guess. We had out annual car show in Thomasville, GA this past weekend. I took the speedster. Boy, was it a fish out of water. When the fellow next to me started brushing his already immaculate paint off with one of those miracle wipes, I felt so self-conscious that I actually picked some of the dead leaves off of the floorboards. Funny thing, my car was a big hit. It seems to make people happy. Plus, I was delighted to let people put their kids in it for pictures. Met some nice people. One smartass did ask me if it actually runs. I just smiled and said "how in the hell do you think it got here?". One other guy, with the best of intentions, asked what it would look like when it was finished. Hahahaaaaa.

IMG_20220425_145001.jpg

IMG_20220423_135225403.jpg

raaf, 282doorUK, barrnone50 and 4 others like this.
  10. callcoy

callcoy

If you had a header with the outlet lower would it work for you, if so maybe a header for a OHV would solve your problem. I have one but the frt. would cost a lot.

11. Trying to reach out to Red's first. It may not be the correct one in the first place. They do make one for the B in the 32 frame, and that is what I ordered, may have just recieved the wrong one. My fault for not installing it for 4 years.

Outback likes this.
  12. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

2022-03-14 13.52.19.jpg This is our RPU used at a recent car show as a 'Gate Guard' with the arrow pointing the way.
    My family couldn't help but to get a photo!

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

This distributor would work well with that. it has an internal gear reduction that drops the distributor to half speed.
    Farmall Super C SC IH tractor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jet96 and johnneilson like this.
  14. brjnelson

brjnelson

Yes my father gave me one of those. I was going to look to see if there is an adv assembly in it and it seemed like a step backwards.
    I should google about the adv.

But to be honest, I do not need to change the tach drive Mallory I have been using for the last 18 years.

JOHN, THANK YOU, I see the error of my thinking, in my head the I envisioned a TDC at every 90 degrees, but it is 180.

15. BRJ,
    your welcome, like I said, this has been tried before...
    You should hear some of the conversations when talking about changing to the Winfield 2up 2 down crank, and then reverse the cam or change the port layouts...
    Keep at it, when you get something unique working it's fun, J

Been working on a SOHC to put on a Gemsa casting I have. Assem Jag cup style.JPG

Old Dawg, Crazydaddyo, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thrashing to get ready for the Antique Nats.

engine mock up.jpg

Old Dawg, 29 Speedster, raaf and 4 others like this.
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

1926 h6b.jpg

need help on ID of this car .......... 1926

vinny harms and Old Dawg like this.
  18. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Wills St Claire?

19. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

My guess would be Hispano Suiza

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you ........... you are correct .................. steve

also research shows it to French !

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  21. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

We all have our obsessions don’t we...;)

AD46EC37-3763-48B9-AEDC-FDC9CB5FE7A7.jpeg

I’ve always had a thing for the Fronty Stagger Valve head myself. I started modeling up the head several years ago... but don’t have any A bangers to put it on:rolleyes:

2AE68481-5975-4961-82E6-BF6464478AF1.jpeg

22. Kevin
    Oh yeah obsessions
    That Fronty will keep you busy and the carbs are killer
    J
    I am taking a break after the 16 valve motor

Old Dawg likes this.
  23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

A "Staggervalve Frontenac" head on a Burtz block would be a most interesting combination....

24. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Any banger with intake and exhaust manifolds on both sides... is friggin awesome in my book!

A friend dug up a Gemsa produced Stagger Valve raw casting set several years ago, and I made up this model to assist with the machining. I don’t much care for the dual siamese intake ports, and figure if I ever followed thru with making my own, I would rearrange the intake ports so that each intake manifold only fed 2 cylinders. The intake porting would probably be a bit sloppy to one of the valves in each cylinder pair, but it would allow the motor to breath like a 4 port instead of a 2 port!

Who knows if I’ll ever do something with it... but as long as I have the model, I can always have a 3D printed sand casting made up. Hell, it might be worth the money just to have it hanging on the wall...:cool:

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. Yeah, a wall hanger might be nice or build for a nostalgia type car.
    The attempts at making HP for the time are very ingenious, but some better than others.
    Have you ever noticed that internal combustion engines were originally just modifications of external combustion engines? The original DOHC design was built in 1912, had success but was too costly to build as a production engine, hence the steam engine designs.
    Struggling to get .25 HP/cu in displacement was difficult.
    Move up to the 60's and 70's where 1.2 to 1.5 hp/cu in, now, even without manifold compression 2.0

This is fun, stops me from wasting money on booze and Ladies of the night.

John

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  26. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Banger Cam timing in Secrets of Speed?
    I'm told there was a good article on the subject. Can anyone tell me what issue to look for?

27. guitarguy

guitarguy

Id like to know more about this. I have probably a less than ideal cam in my T so I'd like to know any information on secrets of unlocking some power.

Stipe Laurel Roof-310 cam card specs.JPG

28. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Anyone else remember when Harvey Crane Jr. was doing custom cam design...? He designed the profile I run in my T speedster, and it’s fantastic for a flat head! Good idle , good low end torque, and happily pulls to 4K. The head measures at 7.25:1, but makes about 180 psi on a gage. The cam would probably be happier with a 6:1 compression flathead, or the same with overhead valves.

My specs are very similar to your Laurel grind above

.300 lift
    209/208 duration @ .050”
    241/245 duration @ seat
    14/60 open/close
    115 lobe centerline

I had to retard the cam 5 degrees and tighten up the lash to combat detonation issues by bleeding off some compression. This puts the open close numbers right at your 10/55, but increases the duration to 213/212. I don’t like the cam as much with the 5 degrees of retard as it kinda runs like a tractor now... it still pulls to 3500, but I have to push it, and not nearly as snappy. It’s probably for the best as I run the stock T trans and Ruxtell rear end...

Old Dawg and guitarguy like this.
  29. guitarguy

guitarguy

When Mike Bender did all my machine work, his advise was install the cam straight up. But I know others may have opinions that vary. I am running 7.5:1 in my engine also. I cloned the whole combination around someone else's hill climb car that ran this exact combination at one point.

30. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

If you are curious about anything Chevrolet brothers/Frontenac related, this website is fantastic! Check out the Stagger Valve section for some Indy banger insight...

https://www.chevroletbrothers.com/

Jet96 likes this.