Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '28 Coupe upholstery question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torana68, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Looking for a good guestiate on how many yards of vinyl I need to order to do an A coupe seat, doors rumble and any trim panels but not headlining. This will be coming from the US to down here, dont want to do it twice :)

2. kb cookout

kb cookout

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Try finding upholstery supply places in Australia. I had no problem locating sources in Canada.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

no one here has the specific stuff Im after.

5. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Might as well just measure do some calculations and figure out each component then add it up
    First Fuigure out your exact design

Are you doing everything all one colour ? or is it 2 tone. Will you use piping? will you have pleats or buttons or other decorative features ?

With our knowing that it's hard to give perfect numbers. When I order from O.S I tend to over order to be safe, I hate paying for freight for 1m to finish a job.

Here is very rough estimate 2.5 to
    3.5m
    on a bench seat that'll fit in an A model.

(if you are using a seat that folds down and thus the backs of the squabs are also trimmed it will be on the higher end)
    If you are using original A seat it will be on the lower side.

If it's a pair of buckets grab 3.5m to be safe

Rumble seat will use another 2m ish

Them simply grab a tape measure and scrap of paper and measure kick panels, doors other trim panels. Draw a rectangle on you paper and make the short end 1.4 metres measure your panels and add 50mm to each dimension to allow for wrapping around the panels.. Use the paper to figure out your cutting list for your panels.

I'm guessing it'll add up to another 2m -3m of vinyl more if your adding little pockets doing the firewall etc.

So I'm guessing around 11 metres would be safe as. But you could get away with less if it's crazy expensive and you chose a simple ish design.

Quick Tip when using material from o.s you can't buy more of quickly:
    If you are trimming it yourself and you are doing piping. cut all your lengths of piping first as they are often the longest pieces and it's a rookie mistake to leave them till last.

If you are hiring a trimmer they can tell you how many metres they need. They are often happy for you to supply the material too.

anothercarguy likes this.