Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bobber Trucks. Are They HAMB Rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Model A's, 32/33/34 trucks have always looked good stripped down, I will say IMHO some of the 35/36 & 37 bobber style trucks look pretty good after those years they just don't look right to me.

Those styles certainly don't strike me as traditional. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Can a vehicle be a hot rod if it isn’t a 32 Ford?

das858, clem, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  3. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>35/36 & 37 bobber style trucks look pretty good after those years they just don't look right to me. >>>

Fred Adam's bobber looks just about right to me. Considering what he started out with. 8^)

fredbob-4.jpg

EVL401 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Clik

Clik

If it hasn't been mentioned before, big rig trucks that were deadheading with no trailer were running "bobtail". That term has been around since tractor-trailers were invented. So a "bobber" doesn't necessarily originate with bobtailed Harleys. A friend of mine had a bobtail 46 Dodge gasser back in the day. I thought it was cool then and still do now. As a sidenote: I wonder how much of the disdain for the term "bobbers" is from hot rodders who hate bikers. About half of my hot rod buddies are also bikers. They like both. But there seems to be a large contingent of hot rodders who don't like bikers. That seems to go back as far as I can remember. I don't know why. It was even parodied in the beach movies back in the day (Eric Von Zipper and the Rats). I don't know any bikers who hate hot rods though. Weird, huh? I remember going to many cruise-ins where I was snubbed because I was on a motorcycle. It's not like I parked in with the cars and trucks either. I always parked separately even when my motorcycle was correct for the era.

chryslerfan55 and Outback like this.
  5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car guys have just taken terms like Bobber and Rat from the bike scene and used them in a way that makes many biker's shake their heads. A 'rat' bike was one that was mechanically sound but had little to no effort to maintian it aesthetically so very little to do with most if not all 'rat rods', a trend that seems to be dying. A bobber was generally a pre swing arm harley that had any items not related to actual riding removed like front fender, 'bobbed' rear fender etc. Some how those terms got polluted.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. You mean like 'gasser?'

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Jones St.

Jones St.

Or traditional.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. wvenfield

wvenfield

I still don't know what we are talking about.

The Willy's above? Of course they are HAMB trucks. Would someone actually have to ask that?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. adam401

adam401

I feel like most folks dont concern themselves with categories, labels or what box their vehicle fits into when they're out enjoying it. Lets leave symantics to the the scholars and just build and drive hot rods.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, are we all good now? Y’all been fighting since October of 21. Shake hands and go to your rooms.

12. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I'm chill as a cucumber

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  13. not a fan of them... sorry my 2 cent worth

seabeecmc likes this.
  14. HotRod33

HotRod33

The way I look at it is I don't give a shit about what someone else thinks of my hot rod... I built and paid for it....

chryslerfan55, LOST ANGEL and Papas32 like this.
  15. Jones St.

Jones St.

Bob Thrash making the metal. 297589264_10208804650830914_6556823341835993804_n.jpg

das858, UNCLECHET, MO_JUNK and 11 others like this.
  16. Frames

Frames

17. Frames

Frames

Jones St has already posted 2 pictures of my truck. Thank you. _1944_chevy_highboy_.jpg I didn't know it was a bobber. 241 Hemi. 1944 Chevy cab. Yes, 1944. I have a copy of the original title. Cab came from KS.

Outback, Packrat and AHotRod like this.
  18. Frames

Frames

Packrat likes this.
  19. Frames

Frames

img512.jpg View attachment 5477865
    Proportion is very important to me. Roll outside is a good idea but I draw up a blueprint. It would have been easy for me to use a stock hood but I shortened it 3.5" It would have been easier to just chop the top but I took an extra inch out at the drip rail to get rid of the school bus looking roof. Way out of proportion when chopping the top 5". View attachment 5477862

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Okie Pete, Packrat and exterminator like this.
  20. In 60-62 I was in Jr high and lived in an area of Oregon where raising fruit was the predominate industry in the area. The farmers would haul their fruit [mostly cherries] to town in their 1.5-2 ton flat bed trucks. When the truck would wear out the farmer would park it out behind the barn. My own Grandfather parked his 36 chevy 1.5 ton flatbed out behind the barn and bought a newer truck.
    The high school guys would pick these old trucks up, sometimes for free or maybe $20 and shorten them up in front of and behind the rear wheels. They'd keep the dual wheels and do bodywork and paint them bright colors, usually painting the fenders black. Running gear would remain stock including the engines. There must have been 10 of these in town. First bobbers or just shortened/painted farm trucks?

21. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Cartoonish for me, is the truck bed large enough for a folding chair?

22. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>Cartoonish for me>>>

For me too on this one. 8^)

assoyouth.jpg

23. 327Eric

327Eric

I've seen traditional rodders gather around Rods built in the 50s and pick them apart as non traditional. So if tastefully done in the right style, why not. They are no worse to look at than a fenderless 35 ford, and that was done in the 50s

AHotRod likes this.
  24. Jones St.

Jones St.

Folding chair? Par' ner it's gonna pull a trailer loaded with a KUSTOM sectional w/GERM approved rich CORTHIAN leather finished in a deep earth tone shade of SPANSIH moss green. Tiki Torches & palm leaves w/a CANOPY done up in a SURF motif round out the stylin- profilin.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  25. Jones St.

Jones St.

26. Jones St.

Jones St.

Oh. the irony. 'Bob' Thrash Build's a Beachin' Better Bobber. And literally the devil's in the details.

27. A Boner

A Boner

Cool bobber truck spotted at Bonneville Speed Week this year!
    61CA72BA-49C2-48C7-9C42-D4018E6B4400.png

EVL401, UNCLECHET, King ford and 4 others like this.
  28. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

A very clean little pickup. If I recall correctly a 37 Ford. Seen at Cruisn’ the Coast Biloxi Mississippi.
    56016772-F314-4D12-8854-A75F6A786A7B.jpeg

Max Gearhead, Okie Pete and AHotRod like this.
  29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I started reading this thread and by page 5 It was just another HAMB bitch fest, as usual. then I saw tis picture and thought Man with a nice orange paint job, tuck the exhaust under the truck and refine the suspension and detail the frame. I would look forward to driving this everyday as a shop truck parts runner. I have long given up on what is Hamb traditional. But that truck has the bones to be a bad ass HOT ROD! Larry

Paulz, pirate and firstinsteele like this.