Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front I-beam axle swap options, 1950 International Harvester L-120 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Apr 29, 2022.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have an all original 1950 IH L-122 Series 3/4 ton flatbed truck. It requires a complete front brake job, and a possible wheel replacement due to extensive rust. The replacement brake parts are non-existent, as well as the rims. I'm looking at some possible swap options. I'm attempting to find specs on Chevy / GMC / Ford truck axles. I did find a 1956 GMC front axle from a 1-ton model, but I need some critical measurements before I pull the trigger. If I go this route, it will be a wheel to wheel swap, along with all the steering pieces. After I do the front axle, I will start looking into swapping the rear, but I think I should be able to drive it in the mean time after I swap the front.

Does anyone have any technical data on possible I-beam swap candidates? I'm trying to find details on GMC I-beam axles up to 1959. I'm attaching my axle specs below. My front axle code is F-170. If anyone has a measurement on spring spacing on a Chev or GMC truck (center-to-center), that would be very helpful.

Also, I'm not looking to do any clip, IFS kit, or frame swaps. Only the front axle. I don't have the time or space for any major modifications.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  2. BJR

BJR

Check out an econoline axle.

3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

You can see what wheel bearings fit your truck and do a little research and you may find some other hubs that take the same bearings and will fit your spindles.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  4. Post current measurements.
    I have a 57 gm 3/4 ton axle laying around.
    What bolt pattern is on the truck!
    Brake shoes can be re-lined. Wheel cyls can be rebuilt/re-sleeved.

Blues4U likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You want to check the spring bolt to spring bolt center to center measurement before looking at axles. Looking at Sid's site. 55/59 Chevy axles are 31-7/8 from spring pad center to spring pad center. https://www.droppedaxles.com/
    Anything any newer is going to be too wide kingpin to kingpin.
    The big problem with International is that 90% of the time the only place you could and can get parts is from an IH dealer's parts counter. They never released a lot of parts to be made by the aftermarket. From working both in a Firestone stone store and at a Ryder truck shop in the 70's that was a constant issue.

Budget36 likes this.
  6. Reidy

Reidy

7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's a great idea. I will dig into that for sure.

It looks like my spring center spacing is 28", and the U bolts are 2-1/2"

The wheel hubs are 6 lug on 7-1/4"

Attached Files:

8. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Good idea as well.

9. A little snooping around says the same king pins were used until 1970. (According to a parts source ) I’m no expert on internationals.
    If that’s true, a later style brake set up could be a possibility

10. finn

finn

Just consider that IH was largely an assembler of trucks, and, with some exception ( eg rear axle assemblies on medium trucks of that era) used parts, often off the shelf, made by the big name suppliers like Spicer, Timkin, Bendix, and others.

Bottom line is that many parts should cross over.

Ned Ludd, Blues4U and anthony myrick like this.
  11. twenty8

twenty8

12. I guess one question is the difference between a 120 and 122.
    Rock auto lists master cyl, wheel cyl and hoses for both

13. twenty8

twenty8

14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Not on topic for this site but I saw an International Pickup that had a 70s chevy truck complete front end installed,
    they bolt in and the owner told me it was basically a bolt in in the international. Yes I know you said you do not want
    to swap to an independent front end, so ignore this if you want to.

WalkerMD likes this.
  15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

16. unclejtl

unclejtl

stuart is correct. over on OLDIHC I have been told that L,R & S 110 half ton hub/drums will slide right on and the brakes and backing plates are the same for the front. I just picked up a parts R110 truck to do that to for my R120. a ford explorer rear axle is also the correct width for the rear. you just need to replace the spring pads. they are like an inch or two off for the springs. the L,R, & S 100's use a smaller brake and wont work. rockauto does have the brake parts on their page as of now.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is my experience as well. My dad worked for IH and drove IH pickups since I was in Jr HS. I owned one a fe years too new for this forum, but I never had any problems getting parts for it at the local auto parts chain store, or local mom & pop auto parts store. Brakes, ignition tune up, carburetor, starter, alternator, filters, belts, etc. Radiator hoses were a little harder, but the local IH truck store parts dept would have them. The engine was IH, but the transmissions are typically BW or even Chrysler Torqueflight. All of these parts are as readily available as any other 50 - 60 y.o. truck.

18. cfmvw

cfmvw

Just to throw the idea out there, but there have been some articles/threads about flipping the axle above the springs and fabricating/welding new spring perches. Even though you aren't looking to lower it, you could apply the same fabrication techniques to add new spring perches to a Ford or Chevy axle to fit your IH.

19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

If the 110 hubs will slide on. Then the backing plates /spindle is the same. If that be the case then TSM makes a bolt on disc brake kit for it. I know it’s not traditional but I like stopping. I put it one mine that I had years ago. It also had 3 on tree and an unusually high ( mid 3s like 3:55 ) stock rear which I left.
    Went all over the country in it.
    Used a frame mounted Ford MC /welded plate. (right in front of steering box. )Lengthened stock rod. Literally was bolt in from there. Good luck.

Attached Files:

Blues4U likes this.
  20. unclejtl

unclejtl

this is the TSM kit I did back a few years ago on my 50 L110
    IMG_2397.JPG