Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Budget Motor, reusing a cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Apr 29, 2022.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I’m putting together a 350 using what I’ve got for my ‘60 El Camino to get me on the road until I can afford to properly build my tri power 348. I want it to hold together for like 2 summers…. 4 bolt block, .040 dished pistons, vortec heads w/ 2.02s, Chinese air gap intake, and a used Edelbrock 750. Big 60’s rams horns. Rings and bearings only, no machine work.

Anyway, I’ve got two used Comp roller cams. I’ve read that roller cams can be reused. I’ve never messed with a roller cam before and I wanna play with one. I’ve also got a set of used Lunati solid roller lifters. They’re the pop up ones. Cam 1 is grubby and has grooves I can feel on the lobes so I figure it’s a no go. Cam 2 is in much better shape, but I can see discoloration/ shinny spots. I can’t feel anything. It’s a good grind too.

Cam 1
    202F7E7B-6956-48D2-881F-14AEC1FD9EA2.jpeg
    1C346950-3E14-41DD-9834-F52D928618E7.jpeg

Cam 2

683E782E-68F0-405C-B74A-D98BC2B6CEE2.jpeg EE6DFC3F-BD85-4870-9C8B-8CCEBAC683E9.jpeg 99168C14-6E4F-4FC1-A96F-B76C95391E2A.jpeg

Can I get away with using cam 2? Can I clean it up somehow? Is this just dumb? I know I can alway buy a cheap flat tappet cam and move on, but this would be cool.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You can get the cam re-ground.

Desoto291Hemi and lewk like this.
  3. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Keep you're spring pressures on the lighter side and your idle rpm up and you'll be fine. In my experience with rollers, the lifters fail before the cams. I've used second hand flat tappet stuff with new lifters and been fine.

4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They're both wiped. I used a cast core roller, just like the 2 that you want to use, from Comp once... ONCE!!! My results were more catastrophic. The roller grooves and galling on the lobes is a sure sign of a soft core, put 'em in the scrap heap. If you want to run a roller, run one that's been ground on a billet core, and don't run one that's been ground by Comp. Cast core cams are flat tappet cams. Sorry for the rant, but after my experience, I try to turn everybody away from those type of cams that I can, to hopefully save them the aggrevation that I went through. It cost me a whole damn engine! :mad:

5. Moedog07

Moedog07

I have used second hand Ford B and E roller camshafts before with new lifters. No issues there but don't know enough about the CompCams roller camshafts to offer good advice. I use gasoline and kerosene to clean the camshafts (new or used). Then coat them with dry lube.

lewk likes this.
  6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you? Yes. Should you? No! Both cams have worn the surface hardness and one lobe on #2 looks like it seized a lifter roller. They will run, but not for a long time. And while running all the metal that will wear off will contaminate the engine. So if the rest of the engine is a throw away, go for it.

lewk and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. Cam 1 looks better then cam 2

but that’s not saying much.

if you only want this engine to last a couple seasons a cam is cheap .

A cam will cost about as much as a complete gasket set for that engine

a cam with lifters just a few dollars more .

cheap insurance .

check online face fart market place and your local classifieds, a lot of times you can find new stuff that was never used for sheckles on the dollar !

But if your set on saving your sheckles then cam 1

Tow Truck Tom, lewk and 427 sleeper like this.
  8. Being a roller cam with no taper to the lobes, I wonder if they could be polished like the journals of a crankshaft? Maybe new (or even good used) lifters and some basic, lower pressure valve springs? o_O

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    lewk likes this.
  9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this point, is the juice worth the squeeze when everything goes to Hell with the used lifter's, weak spring's, and a cam that has been compromised on the surface of the lobe's? Even in this day and age, a cam and kit is relatively cheap considering what the other shit could destroy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  10. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Your asking for trouble. Cast roller cams are not worth using especially used ones HECK they failed when they were new. The cam is one extremely important part of the build once a lobe is gone you need to ask yourself where did ail that meatal go?

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

On a cast cam is all the face hardness gone now? Lippy

lewk and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this a trick question?

lewk likes this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Never had much in the first place!

14. NoelC

NoelC

I'm going against convention, but yea...I'd use them. As I see it, if you got the parts, can live with a little less performanc from a lack of lift, can stand the noise from the rougher patch, add some Dura lube and make it happen. Run an air filter, change the oil...why wouldn't it stay together for a couple seasons of driving? If your young enough, what have you got to lose?

2OLD2FAST, Moedog07 and lewk like this.
  15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WHAT!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^ Yike's!!!

Davesblue50 and lewk like this.
  16. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for the input guys, it’s appreciated. It’s an early 80’s 350 I got for free. I’ve got $200 in the heads, $180 in the intake, and $75 in the carb. I still have to buy rings, bearings, and gaskets. It’s kinda tempting to say fuck it and see what happens, but picking up a cheap flat tappet setup might be the best choice.

427 sleeper and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. badshifter

badshifter

I’d run the used roller setup before I used a cheap offshore cam and lifters.
    The roller cam with solid lifters will let you know if it wears by the valves ticking, and with a feeler gauge when you check lash periodically. Around here, everything is about to blow up catch fire kill you and generally wreak havoc. But my vote would be to run the used a roller set up and move on with your life. Id put money on that two years from now it’s all still working just fine.

2OLD2FAST, NoelC and lewk like this.
  18. If it were me I would opt for a new cam & lifters. HRP

19. low down A

low down A

these are the fresh rebuilt motors you see in the for sale adds, runs good only a few miles

lewk likes this.
  20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'd buy a decent cam. Too much time and effeort wasted if the old ones fail......then you are even farther behind the curve. If the other components you are using last, then you still have a good engine in two years. If they don't you should still have a cam thats usable or salable.

427 sleeper and lewk like this.
  21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm all for keeping on a budget but the thing that costs the most in life is regret. It's just me but I never reuse a cam. I always replace the oil pump also when rebuilding. Cheap insurance.

Davesblue50, Tow Truck Tom and lewk like this.
  22. For whatever your reason, you're planning to run it for 2 years. What if 2 years turns into 3 years.... or 4 years? Your future timetable is subject to changes you don't have control over. The old cams are like rolling the dice and making your bet.
    But you do have some control of what you do today. A new cam now is a sure bet.

Davesblue50, VANDENPLAS and lewk like this.
  23. NoelC

NoelC

I'm all for spending money if you have it to spend. I'm also for spending money even if you don't have it to spend. But you don't throw the bread out if your hungry just because it's a bit dry.

So what's the problem? To me it sounds like some just like their bread fresher and can afford fresh bread.

If this hobby is all about spending money for you great, have at it. But really...like most of you old guys, there is still some life in those cams.

2OLD2FAST and lewk like this.
  24. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Is your 80s block a roller block? If it isn't you have to use linked retro roller lifters. Like others have said, I wouldn't use a used cast cam, whether roller/not. You should be able to get a used GM billet roller cam for $50/less. If you're considering replacing rings, bearings, cam, lifters, valve springs, etc., you're talking about a complete rebuild. Before doing that, I would wait until you're ready to install the 348. In the meantime, look for cheap transportation; sell it when the El Camino/w 348 is roadworthy.

lewk likes this.
  25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

@NoelC , don't try to reason with unreasonable people, you'll simply have the " herd" shout you down . Its the way of society at present , he who screams the loudest " wins"

26. NoelC

NoelC

One man's shopping habits decides on if he's getting a deal or he's getting took.
    My opinion... men in general, they don't want to let on they didn't actually study for the exam so they lend themselves to thinking they know what's what, buy who knows what and that's how the tables fill at swap meets or stuff gets flogged on face book ads.

Guilty as charged, I'm not calling the kettle black.

But if someone who practices said your heart is functioning at 85% and we think you should pull it out for a new young one if you can afford it, guess you have a choice to make.

lewk and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  27. Any cam that is not wore out can be reused. Roller cams are easier, the tappets are not lobe specific.
    Part of being a mechanic and not a parts replacer is knowing what parts are good and what are not.

This is OT for this thread maybe, but while we are on the subject of reusing cam shafts. If you have a flat tappet cam and the tappets are not properly stored so that they fall back on the same cam lobe you can replace the tappets with new ones and go through cam break in again.

28. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

I just got through doing the same rebuild on a 350 I've been dragging around with me for 20 + years. 1976 standard bore 350 with .010 taper but the bottom of #6 was a little iffy (oil rings area) from sitting so long. I say go with your plan (use parts in the garage) but I would put in a new cam and lifters.

lewk likes this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in my early 20's I was over at a buddies helping on the race car, a yellow 67 camaro with "One-a-day" and a cartoon bunny painted down the sides, sporting a potent 427. The garage was unfinished inside and on one of the 2X4s I noted a cam and lifters. He had removed them for a different set up and after most of a short-rack I pulled my 69 SS 396 Chevelle into the garage for a cam job. I found out that night there is just enough room without removing the grille to get the cam in and out if you make a small notch in the back of the plastic. We had it running in no time and it sounded mean. I can't tell you how long the used cam and lifters lasted as we ventilated the motor a half later on Mill Plain in Vancouver. I sourced a new 396 from Division Auto Parts and had it back on the street by the next weekend sans that used bump stick.

I say run it. If I hadn't that night I would be missing some good memories and a tale to tell. I'd be a few dollars wealthier though.

lewk, 2OLD2FAST and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

That's how it was when I came along in the 70's through the 90's. I have had a hand in running more than one used cam and lifters. Put it together and run it. This Studebaker is running a used cam and I did not know where the lifters were ! This was the first start up.

lewk likes this.