Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 700R Puking Fluid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edsel58a, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I have a 700R trans, recently drove the car 900+ miles without issue. Two days later I backed out of the driveway and the car would not go into drive, after it did it was fine all day. Same scenario a day later. Once inside, there was a huge trans puddle on the floor the next morning.
    Got the car on the lift, cleaned it up and added 2 quarts of fluid because it was low. Started the car and fluid was running out of the vent tube I assume because it was coming from the top. No leaks found elsewhere.

Any clues what the issue could be?
    [​IMG]

2. Stupid question , but did you fill it with the engine running ? Go through the gears a couple times then check the level ?

Only reasons I can come up with for fluid out of the vent is :

tranny over heated and barfed out the fluid .

too high line pressure .

fluid over filled .

Do you have a trans cooler ?

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too much fluid.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. But does "too much fluid" explain why it doesn't want to go into gear?
    Could a chunk of something have gotten loose and plugged up a passage causing fluid to redirect out the vent?
    I'm dumber than a rock about auto transmissions so I only have questions and no answers. :confused:

5. I had a similar thing happen with a T350, it turned out to be a bad filler tube "O" ring. For some reason (maybe torque converter draining back when stopped for a few days?) the level would go slightly above the "O-ring level, then piss out . I didn't want to check the torque converter & pull the trans yet, so I replaced the O -ring, sealed it in with some goop, and it hasn't leaked or missed a beat yet.

6. egads

egads

Check the filter.

7. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

The filter tube must seal properly in the pump. There are some filters with different tube sizes. The seals can be different size and shape.

8. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

If it went backwards ok but wouldn’t go forward I doubt fluid level had anything to do with it. Probably is overfilled now. That’s about the only thing that would make it come out of the vent other than overheating. Sounds like you didn’t drive far enough to get it hot.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The truth is, you won't know anything until you pull the pan. If you had a filter problem, it could aerate the oil and that, along with high temps would cause the fluid to expand quite a bit. So, look at that closely. Also, examine what remains in the bottom of the pan. There may be clues there, as well.

10. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

It sounds like the sunshell make have broken.

11. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Well, I am going to pull the pan this weekend. I'll update if anything is found interesting in there

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some torque converters drain back in to the trans. I moved the vent line up on the firewall with a rear end breather. I was told to let it idle a minute if cold after a week or more of sitting.

SS327 likes this.
  13. ken1949car

ken1949car
    from chicago

If running fine before this, check the filter. I have rebuilt a couple of 700R's and some filter part numbers/quality are not the same.
    Also, it easy to pull the filter and the old filter "O" ring will stay in the housing.
    When you put in the new filter, it will fit but not bottom out in the pump housing.

14. Moedog07

Moedog07

Check the filler tube for leaks when you pull the pan to look for glitter and sparkley things.

15. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Watch this. Richard knows his stuff.

sdluck likes this.