Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who Drives a Beater Hotrod, Car or Truck and Likes it That Way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jun 21, 2020.

1. six5monster

six5monster

I guess I drive a beater 68091DE6-9A2A-40D8-8CCA-A7765DD83C53.jpeg

2. Squablow

Squablow

I put this 57 together specifically as a beater, to see how cheap I could do it and to use up shit that's been sitting around for years. I don't really want to paint it because that would open up a rabbit hole hundreds of labor-hours deep, but I do wish it was at least mostly one color instead of this patchy mess.

I really want to start with a nice car and drive it daily for a couple decades, see how long it holds up with regular use. BobK's convertible still looked pretty damn good after 200K and he wasn't afraid to drive it anywhere, I really just need to let go of the fear of scratches and dings with nice paint.

20220423_132853_HDR.jpg

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-4-27_4-17-6.png

Hello,

My wife and I have seen this truck on the local coastal highways. It seems to run just fine and the owner(s) look as if they enjoy the state of the hot rod truck. From far away, it looks like an old truck left outside in the salt air for plenty of years. (a coastal city… salt air...then it is a possibility)

But in looking at it in its original state we saw a couple of years ago, the change over is now to represent, a certain style, not just a “beater” old truck that has seen its days.

New tires, rims and the look is pretty cool. It looks well taken care of despite the constant barrage of salt air daily and definitely, nightly. So, it is going to age well and possibly very fast.

Jnaki

upload_2022-4-27_4-17-58.png
    What a better way to broadcast the local ocean influence of a swordfish that we see and taste on our summer barbeques. Local catch at the local fresh fish markets… no better around… YRMV

4. Now THAT, my friends, looks like the hot rods I remember from the 1950s..
    Looking good.

Ben

Driver50x and MO_JUNK like this.
  5. egads

egads

My beater Bird. Old lacquer paint, nice interior, runs great. Take it to the store, out to eat, run for part's. Never have to worry about scratches or door ding's, just drive and enjoy.[​IMG]

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Yessir, its neater in a beater ! IMG_1491704991875.jpg

7. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beats the hellouta me! 8A15AECF-6A8F-4931-B079-8B5DFACBCFF8.jpeg

8. That is Pete Trumbauer's 1932 ford 3 window coupe at Latimore Valley. The coupe has been a race car for many years.

9. Squablow,..paint it with a brush and cheap Walmart house paint
    55 chev pu good 005.jpg

rod1, Wanderlust, Randall and 10 others like this.
  10. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

100% beater. Closest it's got to "nice" was a fresh coat of single stage black paint a few years ago. Now it's marked up and the cheap clear I sprayed over it to revive it is beginning to lift. Old thing still gets tons of attention every time I drive it, and I'd take it anywhere, anytime. Don't really want to dress it up because I enjoy the worry free nature of it, dirt roads and all. rustycamper.jpg

11. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Yup pete is a great guy and I always enjoy running on the track with him!! His 32 is an awesome car and he always flogs it pretty hard.

FB_IMG_1621267740235.jpg FB_IMG_1621132893404.jpg FB_IMG_1601938707739.jpg

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Not driving yet, but I am putting one together. I'm not really a *patina guy* necessarily, but I can't bring myself to paint this one and will be driving it with the body as it is.

my32.jpg

ironandsteele.com​

rod1, Wanderlust, 72yenkonova and 7 others like this.
  13. Paul B

Paul B

14. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

I enjoyed looking your coupe over at the roarin 30's picnic Saturday. Even cooler that you haul your bikes around to ride as well. I need to get a hitch on my tudor for a rack!

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks, there was some REALLY nice cars there along with some cool old timers too. What were you driving?
    That bike rack is one of the best things I’ve done to any of my hot rods. We’ve done several mini vacations that we normally wouldn’t have done in the ‘40 because we were able to add a biking trip onto a car event. A few years ago we drove to the HAMB drags and did a Biking trip before. Then went to the races and races then went to Booneville and rode way out into the Katy trail and watched the eclipse. You should definitely get one. When my body gets too banged up to pedal anymore I’ll switch to battery assist.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Exactly, I always think of a beater as how you use it not what it looks like…

Chili Phil likes this.
  17. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Yes sir, some very cool old timers. My grandpa used to hangout with the roarin 30's back in the day when they would go to the sprint car races in granite city or on their trips out to indy to watch qaulifying for the 500, and @bchrismer who is the son of one of the original roarin 30's members is basically my mentor when it comes to my 40. My car wasnt there, but I've got a 40 tudor that is currently getting a flathead swap done to get me back on the road for the summer. I'm definitely going to look into the bike rack deal. I really enjoy gravel riding and especially riding in new places.

jim32 likes this.
  18. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

C1C99225-176B-40B2-B3AA-6149437015EB.jpeg
    Don’t use latex house paint, it’s water based and can cause rust problems along with being difficult to remove later. Use oil based paint such as Rustoleum in quarts. I’m a residential painter. This roof was a quart

AHotRod likes this.
  19. Guilty!
    I left my 32 Tudor pretty much as I found it, with just a few drivability upgrades.
    I wanted to keep it as it was built back in the 50’s(?), with 59AB, 37 trans and rear end.
    It runs great, stays cool and is perfect for shorter chingos.
    It needs a re-do, but I really hate to change it from its current state.
    BB71CA30-4B18-48BF-B7C9-A68CBBF2BAFE.jpeg

001.JPG-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    MO_JUNK, AHotRod, triumph 1 and 5 others like this.
  20. I need to look at this thread from it's beginning. All my Hot Rods started out as beaters. My frist priority is just to hit the road. Then slowly finish over time. The interior being the last step. My daughter tells me about picking her up from school in our 34 delivery, and there was no floor in back. She could see the road. Here's a picture of the old UFO when I frist got it on the road. Picture it sitting beside all the finished Easter egg pastel paintjobs with tweed interiors back in the 80's. No it wasn't a rr, but it was a beater. We use to say. Street is Neat, and Beaters are Neater. lol:p 126.jpg 157.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    egads, AHotRod, chevyfordman and 2 others like this.
  21. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I love it!

22. Driver50x

Driver50x

This isn’t mine, but I’ve seen it many times at local car shows. E5A6BEEC-F3CB-40EF-84B8-DADD465D7006.jpeg

chevyfordman likes this.
  23. my truck had decent paint, just several different colors; so no problems with rust comin thru...

24. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I had beaters 20-30 years ago. They were just old cars then. Fun to drive, usually reliable. I've been looking for another lately, they're all out of my price range now.

Devin

AHotRod likes this.
  25. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

26. whiskeyjack

whiskeyjack
    from Minnesota

Driver with old paint.
    v8 3.jpg ford coupe 15 (2).jpg

MO_JUNK, rod1, egads and 2 others like this.
  27. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

E755B6A4-C48E-466B-9E9E-AD16D482D2E7.png one of these days i need to redo the original torn up interior... (at least the front seat...)