Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pesky early street rod era brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawzall, Mar 20, 2022.

1. sawzall

sawzall

trying to identify the maker of this crazy kit
    for some reason I vaguely recall a discussion of this on here. some years ago..

I think (early 70's / 80's) someone made a kit that allowed the installation of disc brakes on an early ford axle by cutting the stub off an early ford spindle and bolt another spindle to the remains, an adapter mounted between the two seems to hold the caliper..

somehow this screams 1975 to me..

who knows something about this setup?

Attached Files:

2. fordor41

fordor41

I believe they used '70's AMC bolt on spindles. believe I saw this in one of Tex Smiths's books

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  3. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Tex sure was a whatever works kinda guy. Always cooking up something else.

Driver50x and bchctybob like this.
  4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

1st time I remember seeing that one, is in a StreetRodder article by IIRC, Frank Oddo. Yup, AMC spindle-out parts. Easy way to upgrade to a (then) hi-po, cheap, & easy to do & get both new & used parts disc brake setup. Not so cheap n easy these days. But they worked like gangbusters.
    Marcus...
    Thanks okie, I knew the mag, just fat-fingered the title.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    okiedokie, Fordors and irishsteve like this.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim Kirby and Challenger Equipment Corp. come to mind.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Street Rodder article by Frank Oddo.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

When I worked at a salvage yard back in the 80's, we sold a lot of amc spindles to guys building trailers because they were flat on the back and bolted on.....

Driver50x, Algoma56, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a company that made tapered round plates. I used these for MANY camber-and-toe adjustments on trailers that had been fitted with these AMC flatback spindles...Just insert, turn until camber was set. Toe followed, infinite settings were possible.
    Simple geometry.:rolleyes:

alanp561 and bchctybob like this.
  9. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

It was also a way to get “dropped spindles” in an old school way. We would off set the plates to the top so the AMC spindle was 2” higher than the ford spindles.

bchctybob and lurker mick like this.
  10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

My 58 Rambler has those bolt on spindles which makes me believe they were used for many years after that.

11. Up through at least the Concord era. I used these on my Henry J when I was 15 back in 84

12. IIRC didn't they have a tendency to break bolts and fall off ?

'28phonebooth likes this.
  13. Never heard of it. As noted this is very common in the trailer world as well.

14. In Connecticut when my brother bought a Rambler that was over 10 years old, it had to have a state inspection to get it registered. It failed, I asked the inspector why. he told me that the Ramblers had a problem with the spindle bolts breaking, the bolts were loose, and that is why it failed inspection.

15. lake_harley

lake_harley

I heard of using them for trailer axles. Since I'm thinking trailer axle here, just what years of AMC/Rambler would have the bolt on spindles?

Lynn

16. 1958 through the Concord years 1989. As noted their are 4 versions over the years.

Lots of cheap trailer spindles out there.

Bolt on replacement spindle | etrailer.com

lake_harley likes this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Funny, my poor Dad hacksawed and ground the king pin bosses off of early Ford spindles to make the trailer axle for our family ski boat back in '61-62, if he had only known about the bolt on Rambler spindles.....
    That set-up shown looks like it really kicks the scrub radius out to never-never land. I'd rethink running that conversion if I were you. I found something similar when I pulled the front wheels off of my Model A coupe. There are better kits out there.

joel, Tman and Moriarity like this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

If all you are after is doing a trailer, there are bolt on spindles on the rear axle on old Chrysler K cars and minivans.

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, guys;
    Thanks for including the new(er) late model read dics w/bolton spindles in this convo. Reminded me of brake-sets to consider for a super-light-weight rods.
    Marcus...

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine did a number of those over the years. I don't figure that you were in Yakima Wa and knew Phil though.

I wish my trailer had those AMC spindles rather than some early 50's Mopar spindles that were welded to the axle in a high school AG welding shop.

21. farna

farna

All 1950-83 Nash/Rambler/AMC vehicles used bolt-on spindles separate from the steering knuckle and steering arm (three pieces instead of one like most other cars). There are 3-4 variations, but the most important part is the spindle shaft that holds the bearings and hub. There are only TWO variations of that. The most common uses an A2/A6 bearing set. That would be ALL drum brake and most disc brake cars. 1975-78 models use a larger bearing set (A16/A17), all disc brakes. Those are hard to find rotors for, but if using for a trailer you don't need good brake rotors (unless using disc brakes, and the rotor can be turned off and a hat type used).

The other dimension that is variable is the thickness of the base where it bolts to the steering knuckle. There are at least three -- narrow drums, wide drums, and disc. The thickness was different due to the offset needed for the brakes. The big bearing spindle may be a different thickness than the others as well, so could be four variations. For a trailer none of this matters, of course!

I've made a couple trailers with parts car spindles, just because I had them on hand from cars that were going to the scrapper. It's easier to just buy a Northern Tool axle and hubs -- what I did for the last trailer I made. Probably cheaper than buying a length of pipe and AMC/Rambler hubs -- unless you just happen to have the needed pieces on hand.

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1980 - 85 Chevy Citation also had flat back bolt on spindles with sealed bearings. I built several low deck trailers using those.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I used AMC Hornet spindles / discs when I built my '33 Willys in the early '80s and it has given me good service.
    True, it does kick the scrub radius out - maybe up to an inch - but I used skinny wheels with narrow tires and the increased scrub radius is not a problem even with manual Vega steering. It drives well on the strip and street.
    What was a problem early on was the phenolic disc pistons, which swelled up and seized in the caliper bores. I replaced them with stainless aftermarket units that were commonly available at NAPA etc.

bchctybob likes this.
  24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You mean he was a true hotrodder .

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put disc brakes on my 36 5 window in the early 80's using AMC bolt on spindles and a template for the weld on caliper brackets that I am pretty sure I cut out of a hot rod magazine how-to section.

Tman likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. That's what I heard in the '60's

28. bchctybob

bchctybob

Look what I found way back in a cubby hole under the old workbench my Dad made for me when I bought my first house. One of his early Ford spindles, hand hacksawed for his home built boat trailer.
    9A888861-5679-4197-AF7E-03B4409B3A2C.jpeg FE4C0910-1C02-4ECF-8D8E-4ED429D1F32A.jpeg

winr likes this.