Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yard hunting with my kid

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by RuleHard, Apr 23, 2022.

1. I finished up a short video of us out hunting for parts a local hidden treasure. Found some cool stuff I want to go back and look through like the truck full of trim. Also I fell in love with a sprint 6 engine that's sitting out there. It's begging to be in a hotrod. That build may not be JJ material.

Torkwrench, quick85, 67drake and 8 others like this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

Spending time with your kids is the best thing you can do and walking around the junkyard will help spark his interest in all things mechanical.
    In the area around me junk yard hunting has a different connotation, we have to search for a good junk yard :(

3. I loved doing that with my dad, at 14 I went on my first junkyard run for a good door for an 80s truck, then I accidentally broke the vent window, so we had to find another. I remember looking at the remains of old 50s cars and wondering, "can it be fixed?"

4. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

When I moved to the rural area we live in, one of my sons used to beg me to go to the local junk yard. It’s not so much an auto/truck yard, as a metal scrapping yard, but it’s all we have. They have your usual selection of cars and trucks, but since we are agricultural, it’s also chock full of combines, tractors, heavy machinery, down to lawn mowers and snow blowers. I’d go through it looking for parts for my daily drivers, and he would never want to leave, he wanted to see EVERYTHING. I like that! Matter of fact, we’re due for another visit. :)

RuleHard, tractorguy, Fordors and 2 others like this.

5. EL MOE

EL MOE

I loved junk yards as a kid. I guess that’s where it all started Is the 52 desoto bumper for sale

RuleHard likes this.
  6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just ran across this thread. I've been to that yard a bunch of times. Bought the windshields and front fenders off of the 46 Pontiac that's at 1:22 for my 41 Pontiac. Looked at the Sprint Six engine for my 41. Decided to go with a 270 GMC six instead.