Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission troubles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Pump is broken. How much clearance did you have between the converter and flywheel? You can’t check for clearance now as the converter has probably eaten its self into the pump.

2. The_Monster

The_Monster

Squirrel, The lever still shows above the fill line. I'm convinced the level is over filled and the converter isn't pushed fully into the pump gear. I'll know soon.

3. The_Monster

The_Monster

Kevin, I'm going out there now to see if I can push the converter in at all. If so, I'll take a measurement between the converter and flexplate.

4. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

If it was run with no clearance most likely the damage is done thus no fluid flow in the lines and no line pressure. Also explains the high fluid level. Only take a few seconds to munch the pump.

5. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

There is a possibility the pressure regulator is stuck wide open. That would be kinda rare.

6. The_Monster

The_Monster

Kevin, thanks for the info. Here's an update:

I unbolted the converter from the flexplate. The converter rotates freely, with a bit of in/out play. It cant push it in any further into the trans. I rotated it, jiggled it and pushed in both directions it till my arms fell off.

I took a measurement between the mating surface of the converter tab and the mating surface of the bellhousing and its 1". All of my research from multiple sources agree that this is the proper measurement when its fully seated.

I'm thinking the converter is mounted fully into the pump gear and I have a separate pump issue(?)

7. NoelC

NoelC

8. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Need to measure converter pad to flywheel mounting pad. That’s the all important dimension.

9. The_Monster

The_Monster

Update:
    I pulled the engine/trans. You guessed it... the converter wasn't seated fully into the pump gear. The notched converter snout spun around and broke both tabs off the pump gear. It only scarred up the face of the pump a little bit.
    I took the pump assembly into a local transmission machine shop. They said, unfortunately the pump had been milled too many times and there wasn't enough left to save it.

Then, that's where the REAL fun began.

Apparently, front pump assemblies for 350's are like hens teeth! They aren't offered new, or remaned by anyone, except unknown guys on ebay! None of the local trans builder shops can find any! One very well respected shop said he use to pick them up for 10-20 bucks. The last one he found, he had to order from the east coast for 150 bucks plus shipping!
    Is this the death of the 350??

I called a local classic auto wrecker. He said they don't part out transmissions, but he had no 350's.
    Remember the days of everyone and their brother running a 350/350 combo? Are those days coming to an end because no one is re-popping the pump halves??
    I may be skunked on this trans yet... super bummer.
    But I wanted to follow up. Make sure you have between 1/8"-3/16" play between the mount tabs of the converter and the flexplate.

I wish GM would of made the converter snout just a bit longer so that when you tried to bolt the trans to the engine it wouldn't reach and you would of known something was wrong. Usually they make assembly that way. Staggered bolt patterns, key ways, offset splines and such. I'm gutted that I didn't know about the play measurement, it bolted up with ease and now, I may be out a trans and a bunch of money. Not to mention my project came to a complete stop.

So long for now

Almostdone and TA DAD like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks for the update.