Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Got Good News Yesterday

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dart4forte, Apr 27, 2022.

1. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Buddy of mine up in Washington State, an engine builder called me yesterday to let me know he found rings that will work on the 241 Hemi he’s building for me. As some of you know getting parts for these old motors is getting hard. When we talked at the beginning of the build he’d done some research and found the rings for aChev Corvair would work. As it turns out that wouldn’t work in that the rings are only available up to .020.

So, back to the drawing board. Well, turns out Hastings offers a molly ring ring for the Oldsmobile 260 that goes to .060. He also said the Ford 221 will work. Go figure. Another bit of good news is that the custom high compression pistons and pins I ordered are all within the same weight as the stock pistons.

So, for those of you contemplating using a obsolete engine in your Hotrod don’t give up. There’s plenty of alternatives in terms of parts available, just have to do the research.

Petejoe, Outback, Deuces and 13 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome and thanks for putting the info out there!

Deuces likes this.
  3. I know what you mean. Sometimes, you just have to measure everything up, and then reverse engineer it for the OE application.

Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. Years ago when I was into antique fire trucks, I found out from Sandy @ Olson's Gaskets that Chevrolet 235 rings fit the Seagrave 400 series V-12 motors. Had to buy two sets though.

Deuces, Just Gary and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Did he check out Hothead Hemi’s or Kanter Auto Parts ?

Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. In the late 60's, a friend of mine was overhauling a 50's Harley duoglide. He went to town and came back with rings. When I asked where he got them, the answer was a Ford tractor had the same bore and ring. Never forget that usually nobody is as interested in your project as you so the burden of research and measuring is on you. :)

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

VERY good info.

Deuces and Just Gary like this.
  8. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Hotheads couldn’t get me rod and main bearings. Got them from a vendor down in the Texas area.

Deuces likes this.
  9. spanners

spanners

Many moons ago I was rebuilding a CB750 Honda 4 that had been bored out to a 900 cc. I reused the pistons , just bored some 750 barrels but couldn't get replacement rings. I ended up using 1st oversize Kawasaki 900 rings but because the oil ring land wasn't wide enough we machined the land wider and used an extra oil ring spacer to fill the gap. That was in 1984 and engine has been running since. Just goes to show that there are always alternatives.

dirt t and Algoma56 like this.
  10. oldolds

oldolds

Those are good examples of what a good machinist can do. Research is part of the job. I have a friend that is a machinist. He has a nice shop that does production work. Runs of 500 or so of the same thing. He is a car guy but will not do much car stuff. His reasoning is that he does not have enough time to look up what spec's he needs. The production work provides him with all of that.

11. That was likely through Weavers rings which was a buddy of Sandy's. Paul Weaver has since passed and his inventory was sold to Dave Reed who is like a black hole and tough to buy from.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

My 1942 Harley didnt have a proper modern style oil ring. The machinist made my ring groves wider and I used lawnmower rings

13. Xman

Xman

Who is the engine builder in Washington? I'm having trouble locating someone to do the valves in my 8BA.

14. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Unfortunately for me and a lot of other car guys fro WA state most of the really good old school machines have gone or are going away. I’m in a quandary now in that I live in Arizona and the number of good shops have gone away or are so backed it would take years to get any work done. My motor and several others are the last he’s going to do. He wants to work on his projects. If you shoot me a PM I’ll give you his number.

15. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Also, talk with Gary at http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/

He’s also a HAMB member 73RR