Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tow Roping with no brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeff westbrook, Apr 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doing things in a highly unsafe manner, and managing to not have an incident, does not mean that is safe.

It means that you are lucky.

Luck is not a viable life safety or survival strategy.

Anderson, X-cpe, clem and 6 others like this.
  2. ras

ras

I've done the chain in a pipe a few times, tow straps, and tow bars but that was 40 years ago. I'm not 25 anymore. Last summer I picked up a 48 Desoto less than 7 miles from my place on the same road I live on. Nothing but one stop sign and country roads between us. I gladly wrote the $100 check to my local wrecker service. In the grand scheme of time and money I'll invest in this car, $100 is nothing.
    ras

clem, rockable, Flathead Dave and 2 others like this.
  3. Curious what the OP ends up doing and if the truck is home yet. :D Sure hope we hear back.

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Late to the show but I figure I'd chime in since we've done this a time or two over the years. We've moved non-op vehicles without brakes with tow straps and I remember the first one we narrowly escaped damage with a tire on the rear bumper of the tow vehicle. The second one, we wised up and let most of the air out of the tires. Towed it probably a mile from parking space to parking space with a couple stops in between, taking it slow.

The last one was a Model A chassis that had to be pulled out to a spot to get it onto a trailer so I could take it home. It was up a steep incline and down, over and through some ruts, and so on... all with no brakes. The seller was like me, eager to just figure it out and get it done, without much equipment, and neither of us had issues with taking on a little adventure. After airing up all the tires, we went around and let air out of each. He thought I was nuts at the suggestion. However, it worked out without too much trouble.

I like the pipe over the chain suggestion, I think that's one I'd like to try.

Obviously, I should mention, none of these trips were in a busy area. We kept it slow, always. While I've used trailers, dollies, etc., many times... tow dollies, a wrecker, or some such aren't always options.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  5. Paulz

Paulz

Are wreckers really that expensive in your area?
    We'd do an in town move like that for $50 if you didn't have to have it RFN and said do it when your in the area.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The question we need an answer to is "how big are the hills you mentioned"? Seriously, if they are mild rises thats one thing, but if they are long or steeper, your choice of how to proceed is very different. Obviously the worst case scenario is having the car roll back (or forward) out of control. Personally I would look into renting a tow dolley if the hills are a challenge, or just tow it with a mower if you have a decent one and the grade is not bad. The chain and pipe thing works, but if you damage either vehicle you will be out more than the rental cost.:)
    Note towing with a mower is not good if there are downhills.....:D

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before considering such a stunt, one must consider a few things:

What is your insurance co-pay at the emergency room?
    What is the deductible on the insurance policy of the tow vehicle (assuming you come up with a good enough lie to not get denied coverage)?
    What would the cost of the ticket be for doing this?
    What would the impound fee be if you pissed off a cop enough by doing this, keeping in mind that you will need to have it towed out of the impound lot?

If any one of those is more expensive than renting a tow dolly, or having a wrecker move it, and you choose otherwise, you might need to reevaluate your mental acuity.

8. Jesus wept... If the OP really can't figure out how to tow a car 'literally a block' maybe this hobby ain't for him. Maybe he should be considering beanie babies or cabbage patch kids. He 'literally' could have moved it in the time it took to read this thread.

9. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

On the bright side this is one of the few forums that still has people to chime in

Driver50x and jeff westbrook like this.
  10. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I do, however, carry tow straps in my 4 x 4, in the event someone gets stuck in mud/snow, but I've yet to use them. I also carry a GI shovel.

11. ras

ras

@Paulz, wreckers in my area its $50 to hook on plus a per mile charge. Since the car had been setting for over 10 years and had to be taken across someone's backyard I was happy to keep our local guy busy

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

The brake on a mower is very puny. Just sayin'

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one thing for certain, no matter what hair brained scheme you come up with be sure to have a video going from several angles and post pics of whatever carnage that happens.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the OP did not ask for common sense, logic, or good judgement. he has a car to move and no time for any of that nonsense.

there has never been a "how do I move this car" thread here on the HAMB where good ideas were the majority of replies.

15. Greenblade

Greenblade

When I bought my Rambler, it was only a block away from my pop's shop. We just aired up the tires, hooked up a strap, and towed it very slowly to the shop. No hills to deal with so that helped a bit.

SS327 likes this.
  16. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If the OP has the time and means to post and wait for responses, how much of a hurry could he be in? Certainly there's time to consider something other than the Mohammad Ali Method.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

its a block, not a mile. Wimps i say Turning this into a calamity. if he tows it ,say 3 or 4 mph any clutch will stop it. Also the letting air out is a good idea.

18. twenty8

twenty8

And we wonder why insurance is so expensive.................

BigDogSS, clem, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  19. I'd bet a tow truck driver would drag it a block for ya ,for 50 60 bucks cash , and you stand there and watch easy peasy .

20. I’ve done this many many times at the first shop I worked at , the body shop I used was maybe a mile away , but driving a car with no windows etc etc or flat towing with a strap or chain was a no-go for me . If any one know Mississauga and “peel region cops” they are horrible when it comes to driving infractions .

I would drive out to a highway exit which was 1/4 mile away and always find a tow truck that would do it for 40-60 bucks .

easy peasy lemon squeezy!!

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ya know I usually agree w Gimpy and some of the more rational guys here, but there is a saying that comes to mind when its time to do some sketchy shit...
    "Theres probably a thousand reasons not to do this, but I cant think of any of them right now." ;)
    In all seriousness most car guys have a car hauler trailer. Ask around, bought ours from a guy we used to borrow it from. Now he borrows it from us.

BigDogSS, gimpyshotrods and 49ratfink like this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. chopped

chopped

Another one and done OP. Sorry if he's in jail or a hospital.

Cosmo49 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  24. SS327

SS327

Your supposed to post how you DID it after the truck is moved. In my neighborhood the neighbors would clear the street for you then watch while drinking their beer.

25. rusty valley

rusty valley

Well, that was entertaining Rickybop ! I have an old Hough loader like the one at about 0.40 , sort broke my heart to see it treated so poorly

26. jeff westbrook

jeff westbrook

Thanks for all the tips you guys! We decided we'd go the clutch route but for kicks I filled the master and wouldn't you know it- We got brakes!

I did call a local tow guy but he couldn't wrap his head around the idea of towing it from one driveway to another and not to a shop. Bless his heart.

27. jeff westbrook

jeff westbrook

I should add- The truck is safely parked in my driveway, we didn't burst into flames and nobody died. Contrary to popular belief this was easily the most non-event situation involving old junk I've had in a long time.

Special Ed, Anderson, Blues4U and 9 others like this.
  28. jeff westbrook

jeff westbrook

Thanks for the tip- Hitting up Ebay now!

williebill, Blues4U, BigDogSS and 2 others like this.
  29. jeff westbrook

jeff westbrook

WOW! The fun just never starts with you. Thanks for the doom and gloom, Captain Bummer!

30. Well , this warrants a celebration !
    1A0D965A-C612-4354-8814-3D5017424E3C.gif

Any pics ?
    What’s the plan ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.