Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tow Roping with no brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeff westbrook, Apr 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have done the chain and pipe method for way further than one block before and would do that or call a couple friends to help push.

2. U-haul rents tow dollies or trailers for next to nothing if you have a truck to tow it with.

All the ideas are great , creative and will work .

but if you drive by a cop , or God forbid get into an accident , your fucked . Simply put.

Pay the nominal amount and tow/ trailer it home .

Sheesh !

3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

To bring my car home, I bought a HF tow bar. About a 9 mi tow and no regrets. I'll loan it to you if your close enough to pick it up.

Gary

VANDENPLAS and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. chopped

chopped

Four friends and a case of beer, take lots of breaks.

Blues4U, VANDENPLAS and Cosmo49 like this.
  5. I’d have pushed it a block by myself in the time it took to post this…

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  6. tim troutman

tim troutman

put some fluid in it see if it will pump up if it leaks you may be able to crimp a line and make it a block. bought an f-4 for parts drove it home with the drive shaft brake. when I sold it guy crimped off the rear brakes and drove it home

427 sleeper and NoelC like this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. I also have an HF tow bar. Not expensive, and you can use for the rest of life...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Man, if I couldn't find friends and neighbors to push me one block it would be time to reevaluate my life.

10. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Offer free beer to friends who help push by hand, maybe after pushing not beforehand lol.

427 sleeper, Driver50x and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. We used to call that a stiff hitch.

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Use a tow bar or get a trailer or a flatbed. You never, ever, put something like that on the street.
    People and property are at stake.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

for one city block???

14. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I've been thinking from the neck-up, instead of from the waist-down, for quite a few years, now.

We did a lot of hazardous things back in the day, because we were thinking from the waist-down and were financially strapped.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I have AAA, but they wouldn't tow my 55 Tbird because the engine was partially disassembled. Towing only covers breakdowns, not vehicles that are a work in progress. I ended up using another tow service, paying $100 out-of-pocket.

16. williebill

williebill

If your buddies won't help you for beer, consider hiring a few strippers. You'll still need the beer, though.

tubman, Special Ed and Cosmo49 like this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

Only a block? Driver the thing home, V E R Y slowly, throw it into reverse to stop, or shut the motor off in gear.

I've done the chain through a pipe before (steel pipe, not PVC), I wouldn't have hooked up the trailer to move something a block. The chain through the pipe works good for short distances (driver in the towed truck steering it).

I have AAA as well. If you encounter the wrong cop, this may be the only legal way (outside of a trailer, here tow dollies are not legal with unlicensed vehicles).

Ain't no way I'm pushing it home by hand! You become the moving power and the stopping power. A slight down hill could get you in trouble fast.

427 sleeper, vtx1800 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Pull it with four flat tires, the two vehicle method works just keep the tow straps on the shorter side and put the owner of the pull vehicle in the third car so the towed vehicle will stop as needed..

Hillbilly Werewolf and Cosmo49 like this.
  19. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

This sounds like the most logical plan but I'm picturing a truck that's been sitting so long the tires probably won't even roll without brakes.

20. clem

clem

all these wonderful suggestions, - please let us know what method you used and how it worked out for you…..

21. twenty8

twenty8

The brains trust has come up with many "What could possibly go wrong" ideas........o_O
    If you try one of these out there methods, whatever you do, please video it. We could all do with a laugh.
    Hopefully it won't go tits up and end up costing you way, way more than the cost of trailer hire.......:eek:

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have a buddy who only towed this way when he was towing with a chain brakes or not. I helped him a couple of times either towing or being towed and it works reasonably well. I'd rather have my daughter in the towed vehicle that had brakes and just tow with a strap or chain. We have moved a lot of cars that way. Often ten, 20 or more miles.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  23. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A lot can happen in "one city block". My safety as well as other's is a top priority.

Budget36 likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

I hear ya Dave. I remember when the road (before development) I live on had a 25 MPH speed limit. I couldn’t count all the times I had to brake hard for someone backing out, kids chasing a ball, animals running out etc, and this was just about a 1/2 mile run with 9 houses to the highway.
    99 times out of a 100 that 1 block drive would be uneventful, but when does that one time happen?

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Living rural is nice, but I still have neighbors. Out here the "next block" is 1 mile. We tend to trailer everything.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  26. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Its only one block, what could go wrong in that distance. Like mentioned before, use the clutch for a brake

427 sleeper, WalkerMD and caseywheels like this.
  27. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Brakes/no brakes, I won't volunteer to use any of my vehicles to tow a car/w rope.

As stated, at least some states prohibit towing an unregistered vehicle if any wheels are on the ground. Fortunately, I have a 2017 Ram 1500/w tow package, and there's a U-haul/w trailers nearby.

Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. SASROD

SASROD

We also dont know if the OP lives in San Francisco of Kansas.

Special Ed and gimpyshotrods like this.
  29. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I tried that one a few years ago, as I have the double whammy 200 mile plan- they won't tow a vehicle for you from place to place that is just non-functional, needs to be a breakdown or accident. I would assume that has been tried many, many times

mountainman2 and jnaki like this.
  30. Packrat

Packrat

In 1977 my wife told me about a 1950 GMC panel truck that her folks used to drive. It was sitting at her uncles place, about 5 miles away, out in a cow pasture. We went to look at it, and of course I had to have it. It didn't have any brakes working, but I reasoned that I could stop it with the clutch. Her uncle said he'd tow it home for me behind his older Chevy pickup. We had about 2 miles of gravel road and the rest blacktop, not too heavily travelled. We tied an old tire to the rear of his truck and hooked a chain between us. Going down the very first big hill the clutch gave out and I banged into the rear of his truck. We decided to proceed slowly, shortening the chain as much as possible. It was a wild ride but we made it without any damage to vehicles or casualties. I was 20 years old and dumb, I would never try something like that again. We were very fortunate that day.

clem, Cosmo49 and VANDENPLAS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.