Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Suggestions on New England shop to put flames on my '40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olcurmdgeon, Jan 21, 2016.

1. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Wow! Great looking flame job!

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Looks great, so much better looking without the white included.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Nice car and nice flames. Hey butcher where did you get that decal, just about sum's it up!

4. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Beautiful flame job. When I was building models as a kid, my favorite part was putting the flame decals on at the end. '40 Fords and Deuce Coupes looked best with flames, I thought.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    olcurmdgeon likes this.
  5. 47ragtop

47ragtop

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Sometimes I believe things are meant to be. As this thread suggests, I was casting about for someone to put flames back on the coupe. We have had hot rods all 50 years of our marriage, eloped in one in 1966, and have lived in NH since '81. I had never heard of Dennis Day, only found him from a facebook post which had pictures of several flame jobs and pinstriping jobs he has done. Been around since 1983. Does a lot of mural work too from his website. But he answered my email, we exchanged ideas by phone and email. I told him I wanted to have the job done in a short fashion, not wanting my coupe to lanquish in a corner of some shop. Dennis doesn't have a shop per se, will work out of your shop or someone else's. In this case, since I live in rental condo with no garage, we opted to use Wilson and Steely in Athol as Dennis's brother is the house painter there. I got estimates from both vendors, established a time table and a budget and we met everything but exceeded my expectations with what I got. And Dennis should be pleased as the HAMB feedback on this thread and on the 75th Anniversary of the Forty Ford thread has been extremely positive. Sure did make an olcurmdgeon happy, and my wife too because she sees how happy I am. As I tell my friends, this car is my Prosac. As a full time caregiver now, there are days that are tough but even if I just go to the market with the wife to get milk and bread, driving the '40 brings me a smile and lowers my anxiety. Just like having my coffee every morning while I read the HAMB. So thanks everyone for your feedback.
    Can't wait to go to the open house next Saturday at Hot Rod City in Dover, NH for the car's first time out.

Legends47 likes this.
  7. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice !!!! awesome flames !!!! I love 40's with flames. here is mine thumbnail_20140705_083356.jpg 40 convert build 001.JPG 40 convert build 029.JPG

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

thanks Ray, you going to Dover on Saturday?

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi John. The flames and the entire car look great ! Haven't met Wilson and Steely yet, but Tony has nothing but praise for them, and plan on taking a ride out to see their shop one of these Fridays once the Corvette is up and running. Looking forward to seeing you soon ( 1st of the Nostalgia Drags is coming up soon). Congratulations.

11. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

mate your car looked cool without the flames......but now it looks red hot cool......glad it worked out well for you and your wife.;)

12. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

No can do John. Workin on my house . Hope to sell soon and get a bigger shop.

13. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I'm a little late to this party but am looking for fat fenders with flames (just because). The job that was done on your '40 is outstanding!

14. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Beautiful work, top notch for sure. IMHO if there was ever a car that takes better to flames it's a 40 Ford. maybe it's the shape of the front fenders and narrow nose of the hood that makes them (flames ) look so right.

Baron likes this.
  15. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Outstanding looking flame job.

16. JimSibley

JimSibley

Flames are as much a part of hotrodding as blowers and chopped tops. Your flames
    Look amazing!

17. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I did these for a neighbor of mine once. They were finished with a blue pinstripe. HD theme bedroom. The baseboards and all the door and window trim was chrome diamond plate. lol 3.jpg