Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leg space 51 Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by GTfastbacker, Apr 25, 2022.

1. 05F61942-97DB-4AC0-BE2F-24941AA95328.jpeg Finally found a way to improve leg space in our 51 Mercury

Joe

EL MOE and dana barlow like this.
  2. williebill

williebill

Chop it about 9 inches,and put a couple of 2x10s on the floor to sit on, should be about perfect.
    Or put your seat back in.

GTfastbacker likes this.
  3. I don't know how similar the 51 is to the 53 but me being short I had never really thought about leg space and I found it funny that it's perfect for me but my buddy who is 6'3" can't barely fit and my wife who is 5'2" can barely push the brake all the way. And that's moving the seat all the back and forth.

GTfastbacker likes this.
  4. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

This is a Question that I have been wanting to ask also. I have a choped 51 Merc and NO front seat. I am one of the verticaly chanend people at 5'6 and wife is around 5'3. What front beanch seat might work in our 51? Bench seats are getting hard to find so maybe a 30-70% less than 60" wide might work.

GTfastbacker likes this.

5. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Are you sure you want a bench seat in a chopped Merc? Even though you are height challenged, it may be better to get buckets as they can be installed so they sit low enough for you unless you want your girl riding next to you? I’m 6’1 and run electric buckets and have them as low as they can go but I still had to have foam removed so I could see out of the windshield, just a thought for you

GTfastbacker likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 65 Cad Coupe Deville seat in my 51 for a while and it sat good an moved back and forth quite a bit, at least it went forward enough so my wife who is 4'10" could easily drive it. The seat looked like it belonged there. It might not go low enough for a chopped rig though.

7. BJR

BJR

In my 2 1/2" chopped 49 Buick I used the stock seat cushions, as it had been reupholstered and was in good shape. I had to cut about 3" out of the frame, which is all I could without modifying the seat springs. It turned out fine and I am no longer looking out of the tinted part of my windshield. But the seat cushion is just about sitting on the floor and I can't adjust the seat forward or back without removing the seat bottom to get to the side adjusters. There is no room for the rod that connects the two sides together due to the hump in the floor. I know I could use a cable of some sort to get over the hump in the floor, but I am the only one driving the car so it doesn't matter if it's not easily adjustable.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. This would be where I'd start if it were me. Problem is the Shipping would kill the deal. It will bolt right in.
    01-01-27 009.jpg

9. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Wow that is nice. Why is all the cool stuff on the other side of the world. Thanks for all the responses.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.