Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2022 Lonestar Round Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

2022 Lonestar Round Up

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. seatex

seatex

So glad it's back!

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story about a great event.
    What a great bunch of cars you picked to share. I am pretty sure that that black 38 ragtop was the same one I took photos of at Trog at Pismo Beach a few years ago and it is worthy.

Something that I have picked up in all the roundup threads over the years is that actually being there with your rod or custom no matter how nice it is outweighs the idea of going to win an award like you see at the big NSRA or Goodguys shows where The trophy hunters are out in force.

5. Ryan, you put up a good read and makes me recall the hot rodders appreciation for the history making efforts of the Rod&Custom guys, Cotton Werksman, Vernon Walker, Gilbert Bugg and NSRA in the late 60's and thru the 70's after suffering thru the "muscle car" era.
    Curt R

milwscruffy likes this.
  6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep preaching the gospel, brother. Amen.

7. Hey my junky 27 made it to a JJ article :eek: Great weekend, already waiting for next year!

chryslerfan55, ebs121781, Tim and 2 others like this.
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Kellison is just plain badass!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

gonna feature that one a little later!

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I remember when I say my first Kellison and then saw the kits for sale. After some thinking I realized at that time my skill level wasn't nearly high enough to tackle a project like that. Sure like the one that was at Austin.

lothiandon1940 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan
    " No man is an island "

Yeah right !

Dude, did you really think that no one, was going to notice the kick ass vintage trailer and the black table cloths with the big red H.A.M.B. sign on it, and NOT congregate around that area ?

I think it was cool that you did just hang out and imbibe the brew and enjoy the peace and zen of just being there and around the hot rod culture of the fellow hoodlums there in Austin !

Thanks for the great photos and posting them and sharing your thoughts about the round up !
    Thanks from Dennis.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, What an excellent way to start a Monday morning! Your words, and especially those sweet-light (and sweet car) photos were just enough and perfect. Fantastic photos. Anna ordered our '33 sedan specifically to attend The Roundup. The only reason we weren't there is because I was having knee surgery instead. But next year--finally--we'll get to experience this. Thank you.
    Pat G.

13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Wishing the best outcome from your surgery, Pat. See you next year.

14. BLAKE

BLAKE

Great summary, @Ryan! This one was destined to be extra special specifically because of the two-year hiatus... or 'I-hate-us', if you bought into that aforementioned online lunacy. ;)

Turns out it was extra special for a different set of reasons. I saw good friends not only reuniting, but sincerely appreciating one another. Folks I talked to were not only happy to see everyone, but they also seemed eager to express how much they missed/liked/respected one another. That vibe was tangible... it was a big deal, and it permeated the weekend.

Add to that the killer quality of the cars, the madhouse Saturday crowd, the unbelievable music lineup @El Jefe pulled together (John Doe!!!! The Magnificents!! Jimmy Vaughan!!), and this one was one this fella won't soon forget!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This.

16. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Thank you Ryan, I was hoping for this to be the kind of reaction we would feel after the past two years of confinement. I am so ready to get on the road agene.

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Great pics and summary, need to cross that show off my bucket list ASAP

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

@Ryan it’s good to see your potential renewed interest in car shows .:D

Although I do find your general disdain for most of them hilarious considering your role in the industry, I do understand to a degree that a quality show is few and far between. I typically avoid large crowds like the plague, but it’s funny how that all melts away at the Roundup due to good people and great vehicles to stare at (and a few adult beverages).

Another huge thanks to the organizers and participants. LSRU forever!

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To be honest and straight, I have no new or real interest in car shows. I prefer cars in motion. The Round Up, however, is different… it’s personal…

Odd and off putting, I know… but better I be honest than blow smoke up your ass.

20. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

Just poking fun a bit. I obviously appreciate your dedication and hard work with JJ & H.A.M.B.

Too few honest people left these days. I commend and respect you for it.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Paints a pretty good picture. Great post.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Field of Dreams Trailer Villa!.jpg WILLYS_POSTCARD_2022 .jpg Ryan, If you would join us in Pendleton with your trailer in a our Field of Dreams trailer area you might feel the same way. I'm hoping this year we get a lot of HAMB guys that want to travel to Hotrod-a-rama. I will make it to Austin next year in the coupe. www.hotrod-a-rama.com. Oh, and about that events page?

chryslerfan55, Tim and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone told me that LSRU is now open to anything pre (whatever the year?) regardless of style. Is this a fact? Not a bad thing, but wasn't it originally all old style builds? I get that from a biz perspective cutting off revenue isn't a rational choice so I'm not trying to opine here. I've not had the opportunity to partake since the start so my experiences are vicarious at best and always thru TJJ/HAMB land.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ugh. Sorry. I totally forgot about that. I will get it done.

Since moving to the Expo, the LSRU has not been a traditional only show. I think it just got too big to police... The genius behind the LSRU, however, is that they don't really have to police the entire show... They just have to police the "feature hill" - an area of the show with 50 to 100 or more cars that sort of represent what the show is about. All of these cars are typically traditional and/or special in one way or another.

So, a normal person can go to the LSRU and see just about anything pre-65... But a stuck up traditional asshole elitist like myself can just stick to the hill and be happy. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got it. Some day I too, an asshole elitist, will join in. Funny, was looking at a Deuce roadster hot rod over the weekend at an auction, the attending rep asking what I thought. "Fuckin hate it." He was shocked. When questioned why I said "I can't really put in words what took a lifetime to learn, and freely admit that I seem a snob for it." then walked immediately over to a 34 packard 12. Go figure, and thanks for the insight.

26. Ryan, thanks for the insight. Do those cars get prearranged invitations, or is there a secret handshake, or a bouncer at the door, or?:confused:

Asking for a friend who is also a traditional asshole elitist.;):)

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Cars on the hill get there in various ways:

1. Kontinental car club cars are all there.

2. A guy registers some dope car and Brian thinks to himself, "that car is going on the hill."

3. A Koninental is walking around the show, sees some dope car, and tells him to go park on the hill...

I'm sure other folks have ended up there in other ways... I mean, I've seen people just park there and get asked to move politely... the guys work pretty hard to make sure everyone has an opportunity to feel like more than just a number if that makes sense. There has been very little drama historically...

28. alchemy

alchemy

I can think of another popular event that's taken a two-year hiatus. I'm sure it would be appreciated by the attendees just as much, were it to be revived this year.

Sancho and sodbuster like this.
  29. Man @Ryan thank you so much for the undying support of the show, and always succeeding to capture with your words and images that special feel of what we have managed to bring together here. Having to go without it, and at the same time weathering some real weirdness directed our way the last couple of years made all the good vibes and happy reunion feeling of this weekend that much sweeter. Its not lost on me how special this whole thing is - after all these years and changes it's still at its heart what it was from the beginning - a hand made, home grown party that a few really good friends decide to put on every year. Sitting out there with you at the end of the day drinking a beer and watching the light get really good in a quiet Expo Center full of cars was such a moment of peace. I think about who I've lost and the way my life has changed since we last did this, and I'm so very grateful for all that is still right here - it is about the people. Family indeed.