Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Swing pedals on a '28 A with the stock tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Anyone have them and have pics?. I'm at a tipping point with all the changes I'm making (yes I'm stupid), the brake floor pedal is hitting the bellhousing and that has me thinking about swing pedals (Ansen style). Anyone have some pics of them in a stock bodied '28/'29 A WITH the stock tank?.

Also another question is do the pedals just get bolted to the firewall (with the master on the other side), no bracing?. I've been looking around the internet and it seems like just bolt it on and go?.

2. dwollam

dwollam

Don't have a pic but my '31 A coupe has a master cylinder on the firewall with a swing pedal and a stock Model A clutch pedal through the floor. B engine, Ryan overdrive, hyd brakes, 16" '35 Ford wire wheels.
    m/c and pedal were already on it so I decided to keep it. Works great. GM single pot m/c.

Dave

3. No pics but bracing required for certain.

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have a swing pedal assy from a 55 Chevy in my 28 PU. I had to mount it higher than you are wanting in order to get the pedals to be in a good spot. My master is right where the flange that bolts the tank on. Even though the Chevy pedal assy also connects to the dash, I still braced the firewall.
    On my 32 Coupe I have Ansen pedals. I braced that firewall even more since it doesn't tie into the dash.

5. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I just built my own for my A -V8. Old (40s ? Model A? ) pedal turned upside down and pedal pad cut off and welded back on in the desired position and '4? - '48 master cylinder mounted on the firewall. The swing shaft and mount for the pedal is just stuff I had laying around and I don't remember exactly what I used. Hydraulic clutch master and slave (pull type) cylinder from Speedway. '39 clutch release lever flipped over and mounts welded to the home made cross member. Wilwood swing clutch pedal firewall mounted. If you mount the pedals to the firewall you should install a 3/16" reinforcing plate inside on the firewall, larger than the pedal mount area using plenty of bolts and washers around the edges. A poor mans' solution but it works great.

MMM1693 likes this.
  6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I used a Wilwood pedal assembly. It has a cross bar adjust so you can adjust front/rear brake bias. I put a large 3/8 aluminum plate on the firewall for bracing, along with a steel tubing network under dash. The steering is braced to this network also rather than the gas tank.

MMM1693 and gnichols like this.
  7. "52 - '54 Ford pedal assembly will fit nicely, but there must be some added bracing to the firewall.

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

There are aftermarket pedal assemblies that mount the M/C under the dash and have a pivot so it goes sideways instead of through the firewall. Probably a pain to work on. Definitely want some bracing behind the firewall no matter what you use. Here is a pic of some bracing a guy did. Its for a gas pedal though. Its neatly done and might give you some ideas though.

Pedal Mounting 001.jpg

9. jaracer

jaracer

This is what I built for my Model A, but it definitely wouldn't work with a stock tank. 2015_01_16_0351.JPG

10. Anyone have some dimensions from the Rjay pedals. I emailed them but no answer yet.
    pedals.jpg